Scourges of the Storm
Harpies are cruel and vicious monsters that delight in the suffering of others. They also elevate selfishness and narcissism to new heights in their constant drive to establish their superiority over ‘lesser’ species, such as humans, dwarves and elves. Yet many Games Masters probably consider harpies no better than animals, unthinking brutes that can be used to challenge low to mid-level adventurers once creatures such as orcs and hobgoblins cease to pose a threat to them. Unfortunately, this fails to take into account the unique strengths and abilities of the harpy which, when used properly, allow them to be used as opponents for even high-level characters. The Slayer’s Guide to Harpies is designed to provide the Games Master with ideas on how to do just that.
Inside You Will Find:
- Harpy Physiology: The mere sight of these winged monstrosities is enough to cause equal measures of terror and nausea among those not experienced in dealing with them.
- Harpy Sub-species: Detailing the Aiello, Celaeno, Nicothoe, Ocypete and the Podarge.
- Habitat: Harpies are predators and, as such, prefer to make their homes in areas where there is a ready source of food.
- Harpy Society: Harpies who live together in the same area do so because they must, not because they seek out the companionship of others of their kind.
- Methods of Warfare: Harpies show an instinctual grasp of small unit tactics.
Roleplaying Harpies: A fully detailed chapter on
running harpies in your games.
Scenario Hooks and Ideas: Some great ideas on
how players can meet these terrible creatures.
The Caves of Thunder: A complete lair which can
be placed into any campign with very little effort.