From the back of the book:
Congratulations! In a world where this is no shortage of mediocre games, you've managed to find one of the true gems. Designed from the ground up to be played AT THE TABLE with REAL LIFE FRIENDS, HackMaster makes no qualms about its old school heritage. This is the way role playing games were meant to be played and we present to you the best of breed.
This version of the game is 'basic' only that it serves as a gateway to the dyanmic thrill of the HackMaster game. Gone are the days of waiting around for your 'turn,' of battling static opponents or of being anything but totally in charge of your own destiny.
What you hold in your hands is the skeleton key that unlocks the chains that have confined you to the humdrum world of the mundane for your entire life. The HackMaster RPG is the game of choice for those that know the difference between ordinary and epic. This is the game for YOU. You're not ordinary; you're extraordinary. For those of us that live in a world that forces us to conform, to abide by the rules day in and day out; for those of us that suffocate in our daily routine of breakfast cereal and ham sandwiches; for those of us that slave each day in our cubicle inextricably tied to the digital world; those who would be heroes if it weren't for the constraints of reality, we present HACKMASTER!!
Here's just a sample of what you're gonna find in this tome:
- An entirely revamped combat system geared for quick, hard-hitting, dynamic action.
- Knock-Back rules and special melee maneuvers eliminate static "conga line of death" battles.
- Penetration damage, damage reduction from armor and shields and revamped ranged combat rules, including shield 'cover'
- A combination of slot and spell point system that allows for 'straight up' mage play but at the same time allows your mages to change spells on the fly or increase a spell's range, duration, and other effects
- 70+ spells (including Skipping Betty Fireballs and Heat Seeking Fist of Thunder)
- Classic fantasy races (dwarf, elf, halfling, human) and classes (fighter, thief, mage, and cleric) for your campaigns
- Five clerical classes to choose from!
- An all-new thief stat: Luck Points!
- Quirks and flaws that transform your PC into a real character
- Building Point rules that let you customize a character to your own style (there are no 'cookie cutter characters' here!)
- Quick-Start rules for even faster character creation
- 90+ skills and talents and proficiencies (including all weapons and armor) and specialization open to every character class... for a price
- Honor tightly integrated into play and with more flexible usage
- Confidential GameMaster chapters with treasure tables, 75 monsters, magic items, tips and more
- An entire chapter devoted to proper dice usage and etiquette
- Knights of the Dinner Table guest appearances with hilarious examples