From the PDF:
Walking beneath the northern lights is like stepping into a different world, a different time. The clock is turned back from a generally Renaissance-like setting to the rougher and bloodier Dark Ages, when honor was more common than steel and history mingled interchangeably with myth. Forget empires and grand feudal states: The landscape is dotted with small settlements and petty kingdoms, surrounded by a wilderness that’s largely unexplored and rife with natural and supernatural dangers. Kings, cities, knights, and armies do not exist as we think of them, replaced instead by log-walled mead halls and common-born heroes rising up to become savage reavers, fearsome monster-slayers, and overproud lords. Truly nowhere nurtures -- and needs --player characters more than here.
Adventuring in the frozen North isn’t just about playing the Pathfinder® Roleplaying Game with snow and more barbarian NPCs,
quaffing mead from drinking horns (although that’s certainly part of it), and horned helmets (which certainly aren’t). This is a land created from the history and legends of the Norse peoples, and there are strong themes from both that can enrich your gaming experience. In this chapter, we’ll look at the major motifs and touchstones for campaigns that embrace them. So sharpen your axe and raise the dragon’s head upon the longship’s prow, we’re heading north.
The time has come to brave the frozen empires of the savage north. Here honor is more common than steel, trolls and giants battle the gods, and a hero lives by strength of arm and reckless courage. Northlands is a 110-page source book detailing the icy northern realms their geography, culture and magic.
- Rune and Grudge Magic offer all-new magic, plus new spells, magic items and incantations.
- New Haunts and Hazards The spirits of the land, the dangers of the trail!
Tools to make any adventure exciting, and turn every encounter
- 12 Original Monsters based on Finnish, Inuit, Viking, and other legends of the north.
- New Equipment From skis to Northern alchemy, lots of new toys and tools for PCs or villains.
- Feats, Traits, and Class Features for the ways of the North for any cleric, barbarian, oracles, sorcerer, and more, both regional traits, teamwork feats, metamagic, and more. Rich roleplaying elements and exciting new twists to make the Northerner come alive!
Northlands covers campaign sites for adventurers to pillage or save:
- Trollheim: ideal for low magic or pseudo-historical campaigns focusing on human opponents; feuding clans, wars and viking raids.
- Thule: a classic land of monsters, focusing on giants and environmental hazards caused by the elemental clash of fire and ice.
- Hyperborea: a tropical lost world at the northern pole, based on Greek myth.
This official Midgard setting sourcebook is easily portable to any setting.
Pillage, plunder, and back to the ships before nightfall!