Worlds Numberless and Strange
Traveller Boxed Set
Fiasco
Clockwork & Chivalry 1st Edition
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
RuneQuest Sixth Edition
Numenera
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Fate Core System
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Baker Street: Roleplaying in the World of Sherlock Holmes
The Darkening of Mirkwood
Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Beginner Game
Enemies Within
Princes of the Apocalypse
Apocalypse Prevention, Inc. 2nd Edition
The Sixth Gun
Beneath the Temple of the Storm God
The Burning Wheel Fantasy Roleplaying System (Revised)
Army of Darkness Roleplaying Game
Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Starter Set
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
U1: The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
Night Below
KidWorld the Role Playing Game
Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition
Summerland (Revised and Expanded Edition)
Monsterhearts
The House of R'lyeh
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Murderous Ghosts
13th Age
Call of Cthulhu (7th Edition)
Pirates & Dragons Core Rulebook
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » RPG Design

Subject: Homebrew campaign setting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Davey Jones
msg tools
i am working on a homebrew campaign setting and am looking for any kind of feedback really.

what i have so far:

'The Shattered lands':
An area nearly destroyed by a cataclysm (i know, bear with me)
resulting in a broken landscape with several landmasses surrounding
a large hole called 'the void'.
each land mass is completely separate from the others and are
basically islands surrounded by empty space.

travel between landmasses happens mostly with flying ships,
whereas the land masses themselves are effected by wild magic,
prohibiting flight over land.

these flying ships also engage in a sort of whaling as they hunt down
massive flying creatures from which are harvested materials used for various things, but most important to construction of the flying ships.

as a result of the cataclysm all sentient life forms lost their higher
brain functions for a number of centuries before turning back to normal.
as a result of this the people have no concept of life before the cataclysm, or even the cataclysm itself, and to them this is how it has always been.

because of this there are lots of lost civilizations to be rediscovered.

The Shattered Lands:

Fiorina:

EDIT: the color indicated climate which lines up more or less
with the behavior of magic; red for wild, blue for dead magic.
settlements near the red may outlaw arcane magic.

Fellcrust:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat. Ambitious, and very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hellar
msg tools
some ideas popping in my head

Bottom of rift contains undead survivors of past age cursed to never climb pass a set height.

Creatures of the under dark in layers between surface and undead lands.

rifts gets narrow enough as it goes down to allow bridges.

Sections of remaining land partial fallen, below known lands but not quite on bottom.

A race used as slave labor or livestock is only now recovering their full intelligence.

Migrating tribe on barbarians on flying mounts.

Secret society living in secret in all races who never lost their minds and work together to hide all knowledge or past world to protect this one.

Odd mixes of races as loss of history and ending up on same isle allowed peaceful relations. A nation made up of orcs, elves, and kobolds living in harmony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rio
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Campaign Cartographer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Jones
msg tools
Spleen23 wrote:
some ideas popping in my head

Bottom of rift contains undead survivors of past age cursed to never climb pass a set height.

Creatures of the under dark in layers between surface and undead lands.

rifts gets narrow enough as it goes down to allow bridges.

Sections of remaining land partial fallen, below known lands but not quite on bottom.

A race used as slave labor or livestock is only now recovering their full intelligence.

Migrating tribe on barbarians on flying mounts.

Secret society living in secret in all races who never lost their minds and work together to hide all knowledge or past world to protect this one.

Odd mixes of races as loss of history and ending up on same isle allowed peaceful relations. A nation made up of orcs, elves, and kobolds living in harmony.

some kewl ideas there, i will definitely be using some of them.
particularly the sunken isle and undead 'survivors' sounds interesting.

one thing i forgot to mention is that the void is filled with mist, and a few days each year the sun will be directly overhead for a few hours,
actually lighting up the bottom.
this will be unbearable to any heat vision creatures causing them to scramble for cover during those times.

Quote:
Campaign Cartographer?

nah i ripped some icons from a free online app called 'Hexographer'
and drew the rest with paint shop pro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catty_ big
United Kingdom
London (sort of)
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJones6913 wrote:
nah i ripped some icons from a free online app called 'Hexographer' and drew the rest with paint shop pro.

Ah, I was just going to ask what programme you were using for the maps. Well done, they look super-cool .

I'll make some pertinent comments when I've thought about it some more.

Nice work dude!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Jones
msg tools
thxz dude

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hellar
msg tools
1: setting threat
The void has developed a rich and complex fungal based ecology which thrives in the sunless but moist void, and right up the sides of the "isles"

The flying creatures which are hunted live on the fungus that grows on the upper reaches of the ecology, and when it's growth is trimmed by the feeding of the flying creatures it prevents the coral like growth from hardening with age and providing a anchor for other fungus including other herbivores and the predatory creature that prey on them from climbing up near to the surface.

Due to the need for moisture of the mists of the void these creatures do not grow in the dry caverns below the "isles"

The creatures are hurt enough by sunlight to only creep over the edge during the night time and are driven back to the depths during the time of the year the sun passes directly over their areas.

Mostly these creature are not a major problem, but one nation has hunted down the flying creatures on their "coast" to the point of extinction, and is now "fishing" in areas traditionally belonging to other nations. Meanwhile the fungal creature slowly invade their own nation, mainly near the "coast" where they can return below the rim before dawn, but others driving deeper and deeper into the mainland sheltering by night in building.

2: adventure idea
On the day the sunlight drives down the mist, a sailor see the wreak of a pirate of the mist ship on small pinnacle of rock that normally is hidden by the mist. He recruit the players on a adventure to search the ship for treasure and they discover the ship was not only wreaked by crashing into the pinnacle but the survivors were killed after something followed them back from their explorations of the ruins on the pinnacle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Jones
msg tools
also good ideas there

also it did give me another idea: dangerous fungus spores floating up from the bottom of the void to harass sailors above.

i think fungus will definitely be a big part of the void ecology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hellar
msg tools
black mist by day
sailor's dismay
Pink mist in light.
Sailor's delight.

Two spores clouds that blow up from the mist's at times. The black cause a bloody coughing sickness as the spores adhere to lung tissue and reproduce. The other pink, releases pheromones which create a euphoric sensation.

Other isles
Fallow:
A isle that had been the bottom of a ocean, Fallow is a wasteland of nearly lifeless sand, crumbling coral growths, and salt desserts.

A few high points that had been isles have become oasis of life, some magical undersea creature survived and adapted by unknown means. Air manta, land squids, and tunnel eels.

What had been a city of mer folk has become the lair of a elder blue dragon who claims the entire isle for himself except for a thin portion of the outer rim which he allows his descendants to lair in.

The dragon is protected by a race of man sized kobolts descended from a half dragon. Called the Kobali they guard his lair, his herds of hearty goats, and man his growing fleet of air ships which the Kobali use to explore the nearby isles in search of loot, conquest and something else to eat other then goat.

While pleased at having a race of creatures worshiping and serveing him, the dragon has no memory of how the kobali came to be due to his own loss of memory and time spent as a mindless beast.

(this is assuming the cataclysm happened within a dragon's lifetime)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Jones
msg tools
for the spores i was thinking of something that makes sailors have hallucinations that cause them to jump overboard, fall to the ground below to become food for the fungus.
maybe get some classic mermaid flavor in there somehow.

the kobali sounds interesting, maybe a good way of incorporating dragonborn into the setting.
also the kobali could be created by the dragon's mother to hatch the egg, knowing it would not live long enough, making the kobali the dragons only family.
perhaps the kobali manipulate the dragon by letting it believe that
they created it.

it occurs to me at this point that this setting should have a bunch of
weird places like that.
isolation is a big part of the theme.
my initial intention for it was to have a place where flying ships made sense and later decided to make everything isolated so it can feel believable without me having to account for how different places effect each other too much.
this way the PC's can have the most dramatic effect on their surroundings, with a minimum of book keeping on my part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Tousignant
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Really dig that one colour coded map with the call outs. Very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Jones
msg tools
thxz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Jones
msg tools
revamped the map:

and this is going to be the final version, cuz the paint program i am using has run out of RAM :S and i'm to lazy to go learn another paint program.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Jones
Netherlands
Leusden
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i removed the old pics and uploaded some new ones, but i cant seem to edit my old posts anymore.
i'm ofucssing on a different area for the first adventure i am going to run in it:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.