Games|People|Company
Mass Effect RPG
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Mutant: Year Zero Core Book
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Better Than Any Man
Cake Walk
Fiasco
Mindjammer: The Roleplaying Game (Second Edition)
Atomic Robo
Redneckromancer
Degrees of Horror
A Red & Pleasant Land
Chicks Dig Gaming
Yggdrasill Core Rulebook (English edition)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Torchbearer
The Rise of Tiamat
DDEX1-01: Defiance in Phlan
The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse
Freeport: The City of Adventure (3rd edition)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Superworld (2nd Edition)
X2: Castle Amber (Château d' Amberville)
Fallout: PNP RPG (2.0)
Stonehell Dungeon: Down Night-Haunted Halls
Terrors of the Secret War
Firefly Role-Playing Game
Pathfinder Cards: Deluxe Harrow Deck
Mutant: År Noll
East Texas University
Monsternomicon
Arrowdown
The Chained Coffin
Princes of the Apocalypse
Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkana
Ohunkakan: The Living Myths
Player's Handbook (D&D 4e)
All Flesh Must Be Eaten Revised Edition
Star Frontiers
Call of Cthulhu (6th Edition)
Dread
A Penny for My Thoughts
Dungeons & Dragons Set 3: Companion Rules
Witch Hunter: The Invisible World
Psychosis: Ship of Fools
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
74 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: RPG Geek of the Week #214: Sandy Petersen (yes, THAT Sandy Petersen!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vivienne Rice
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you again for a fabulous RPG Geek of the Week! (For those not familiar with what GotW is, check out the wiki here.)

Now, it falls to me to introduce my choice of successor, but first I thought I’d let you know why I chose them.

Aware I would have to hand over the reigns at the end of the week, and not knowing many people on here, I started early. As in Monday. I checked out people who posed interesting questions and those who had amusing posts in threads I am watching. All had already been RPG GotW. I thought I’d try another tack. I started checking games I might like to try and reviewers who wrote in an engaging way. Same result. I was getting worried now and I’d run out of ideas.

Then one morning I idly picked up the only rules / source book I have to hand and turned it over. There was a picture ... and a name. A flurry of keystrokes later; yes he’s on here. Some more typing; no, (surprisingly,) he’s never been GotW. I GM’d him, hopefully, but with little expectation. So imagine my surprise to receive a really charming message accepting.

Now whilst his more recent work has been in video and board games, a quick scroll through the RPGs being run here and in clubs across the country shows his presence in this arena is still very much alive!

(You can’t imagine the size of my grin right now )

Ladies and gentlemen, it is an honour, and my privilege, to introduce Geek royalty and Mr Cthulhu himself, Sandy Petersen .....

Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Here’s what Sandy says about himself:
Sandy Petersen wrote:
Hi, I'm Sandy Petersen, a middle-aged balding man who, one way or another, has been involved with gaming since the very early days. Many of you will know of me from my work in the industry, so this introduction is really for those who may not - yet!

I have always been interested in games and in the works of H.P. Lovecraft. In 1980 I was able to combine these loves when I joined Chaosium Games where I worked on a number of paper-based RPGs. The most widely known is (of course) “Call of Cthulhu” for which I was principal author. But I participated in most supplements and games Chaosium produced at this time - significantly on the later editions of “Runequest” and as designer on the “Ghostbusters” RPG.

In 1988, I moved into video games. At MicroProse Software I was lead designer on “Lightspeed”, “Hyperspeed” and “Dr Floyd’s Wacky Windows” and a significant contributor to the “Civilization” and “Darklands” games. And I was part of the teams on “Doom”, “Doom 2” and “Quake” whilst at id Software, designing several levels for all three.

Moving to Ensemble Studios in 1997, I continued in video game design - as lead on the expansion packs for “The Rise of Rome”, the “Conquerors” and the “WarChiefs”, and as part of the teams working on “Age of Kings”, “Age of Empires 3” and Ensemble's last product “Halo Wars”. There was also a ton of unreleased and unfinished stuff.

In 2009 I branched out into academia as a college professor, and spent two years teaching graduate students about game design at Southern Methodist University.

I have now returned to the coalface! Last year I Kickstarted my newest board game, “Cthulhu Wars” - through greeneyegames - which now has a BGG presence with active forums. And, with my partner Drew Fisher, we have resurrected Barking Lizards where we're working on some iOS games. Here's hoping they'll hit it big enough for me to buy the Geek and lord it over you all devil

Outside of game design I still play boardgames, roleplaying games, and video games and I have a gaming night once a week at my house in which we stick to paper games.

I also have a big web presence. Google Sandy Petersen to find interviews and photos and even a Wikipedia article. However, I’ve since found that you are not allowed to edit a Wikipedia entry in which you are the topic and, thus, I am at the whim of the writers! So please, be kind .....

Poll: Here are Sandy’s two truths and a lie:
Which statement is a lie?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
A huge original oil painting of Cthulhu hangs on my living room wall.
28.4% 25
I have been consecrated as a High Priest in my church.
38.6% 34
I once briefly owned a pet octopus.
33.0% 29
Voters 88
This poll is now closed.   88 answers
Poll created by Deezerma
Closes: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:00 am

Enjoy your week under the microscope, Sandy. And to kick things off, here are a couple of questions from me:

1 What motivated / prompted / inspired you to start designing games?
2 Which game(s) / system(s), if any, do you wish you’d thought of first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: RPG Geek of the Week #214: Shhh, it's a Surprise (You'll have to read the thread!)
Congrats Sandy!

d10-1 What were your influences (other than HPL) for creating CoC?

d10-2 Do you have a copy of the AD&D Deities & Demigods with the Cthulhu and Melboninan Mythos in them?

d10-3 Have you ever tried a Play by Forum (PbF) game?

d10-4 Do you collect dice or have any really cool ones?

Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: RPG Geek of the Week #214: Shhh, it's a Surprise (You'll have to read the thread!)
Congratulations Sandy!

1) Maple syrup or honey?
2) Coup or sedan?
3) Fate or free will?
4) Couch or loveseat?
5) Professional or amateur?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's like armour. But awesomer.
badge
MIND BLAST! **ZAP**
mbmbmb
Congratulations Sandy!

I just want to say that I hope the lie is that all of those three things are true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
'BRRING! BRRING! BRRING! CLICK! Yeees! It's the Bucket Mouse! Thanks for calling! …Well… CLICK!' ??? … You must have dialed a wrong number…
badge
Er…Uh…Hmm…How to say… Please call… Outside… …
mbmb
Grats, Sandy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wood
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.accessiblegames.biz
badge
Author of Psi-punk - Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

Just a few questions for you:

1. Pie or Pi?

2. If you were about to embark on a pioneering, one-way trip to Mars, how many shirts would you bring with you?

3. If you were a zombie and were handed a glass filled 50% with water, would it be half empty or half full?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Sandy!

1. If you had to choose where you are forced to spend eternity, would you choose R'lyeh or the Dreamlands and why?

2. What creatures from the Lovecraft mythos do you think the Ghostbusters could handle?

3. What (if any) RPGs are you playing/running currently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
It's a bloody business, Bates, but I can't see any way around it. - ROBERT, EARL OF GRANTHAM
mbmbmbmbmb
After TSR and DnD, Chaosium and Call of Cthulhu became a large part of my RPG life back in the day. You're a living legend! (good call Vivienne)

What's your favorite video game of recent times? (from the perspective of a designer and/or a player)

Have you been called out for your choice of pastime/living as not being in line with your religious views? Your response?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quaid Slauson
United States
flag msg tools
There are great things afoot.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Sandy. Hooray!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Thulhu?
United States
flag msg tools
|)@r+# +#¿£#¿
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Sandy
(fantastic call, Vivienne!)

First of all, sir, thank you very much for S. Petersen's Field Guide to Cthulhu Monsters. Being able to quickly discern the differences between Yog-Sothoth and a shoggoth and a formless spawn has been a real lifesaver!

1) How did you determine which beasties and deities made the cut?
2) Who rounded up the artists and provided art direction for the book?
3) How would you describe the "essential foulness" of a Hound of Tindalos to someone who isn't sure if they recently witnessed one?

Civilization has had several iterations and two major spin offs.

1) Which version of the core game do you most enjoy playing?
2) What is your favorite Wonder to build?
3) What is your favorite victory condition?
4) What did you most appreciate of the racial mechanics and enchantment abilities of the Master of Magic?
5) What did you think of the evolutionary and ideological themes of Alpha Centauri?

Darklands had a ton of potential that I've never seen replicated in other game systems, but didn't quite completely cohere. In particular, I've happily done a few spins on Alchemist and Saint classes derived from the Philosopher's Stone and Sanctity-to-Saints ideas in that game.

1) What game systems of your own design are you most proud of for that game?
2) What was your favorite mechanic-to-flavor fit?
3) What led to the choice of the Holy Roman Empire as setting?
4) Why Baphomet as the big bad?
5) Are there any plans to ever update and rerelease the game? What obstacles would have to be overcome?
6) If the final game had been less buggy and more of a mainstream success, what other historical eras and locations would you have wanted to explore in sequels?

When tools to create area files for Doom and Doom II came out, several of us made a huge dorm.wad file of our residence hall, for use during LAN games.

1) What was your personal favorite area file among those that made the cut to enter the games?
2) Did you later make any "personal" area files for your own play?
3) What was your favorite foe? Your favorite weapon?

In Cthulhu Wars, we finally get to be on the winning side!

1) Which Great Old One do you most enjoy playing?
2) What is the most enjoyable victory you ever played?

Finally:

1) Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the Elder Party?

Congratulations, again! ¡FHTAGN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann Delalande
France
Solliès-Ville
PACA
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to our newest RPG Geek of the Week.

I'm so excited to see this as Call of Cthulhu was what got me hooked to H.P. Lovecraft when I was a teenager.

So, Mr Petersen, I just wanted to say thanks for changing my life and making it *darker* when I was kid and much more interesting with your game design.

(by the way, Vivienne, you just rock!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Sandy!
Enjoy your week in the limelight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Sandy!!! A great and worthy choice, Vivienne!

Here are my two questions:
goldencamel your favorite three music albums?
goldencamel do you use music while gaming?

Have a great week! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on becoming RPG Geek of the Week from the BGG Geek of the Week . It's a huge mystery to me, why you haven't become GotW before. I still fondly remember going insane with my friends in Call of Cthulhu RPG, so thank you for giving me many memorable moments .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai S.
Germany
flag msg tools
A Beast I am, lest a Beast I become
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Sandy, have a great week!

Two questions:

d10-1 What was you most awesome moment in gaming?

d10-2 What was you most embarrassing moment in gaming?

And also congrats Vivienne, what a great choice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Run with me
Singapore
Singapore
TB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Sandy! Great stuff that you have...simply love it.

What will you envision pen-paper RPG (including PBF) to head? With such competition as console/computer gaming, board-gaming vying for our very little precious time?

Any thoughts on D&D Next? Will it be the next BIG thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Immonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
"Ain't nothing to it / microbadge made me do it"
badge
"Move the Pawn, Luke"
mbmbmbmbmb
Gongratulations Sandy! Enjoy your week.

1. Why did you choose the mb over the other two?
2. What do dice mean to you in RPGs? What about boardgames?
3. In what movie would you like to play as a RPG character? What would that character be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mighty Gratz Sandy !

d10-1 Do you use music while roleplaying ?
d10-2A If yes, just as play-along in the background or selected especially for the scene ?
d10-2B If no, why not ?
d10-3 When it comes to game prep, what do you prefer: Some keywords for every scene/npc/whatever or a whole paragraph of information ?
d10-4 Open or concealed dice rolls ?
d10-5 Urban or rural ?
d10-6 Cat or dog ?
d10-7 How many dice do you own ?
d10-8 What sport do you take exercises in ?
d10-9 Did you try Play by Video (PbV, Hangouts...) ?
d10-0 What's your favorite CoC adventure ?

Have an awesome week !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nemesis13 wrote:
And also congrats Vivienne, what a great choice!

Yes, indeed! Congratulations to both of you.

Sandy, did Vivienne have to call your name three times to make you appear?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
Trento
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
Life is adventure or nothing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Sandy, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bossko B.
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
Big damn heroes!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Sandy on being Geek of the Week

d10-1 Bucket of dice or minimal dice?

d10-2 What is your most used RPG book?

d10-3 What is your most prized RPG possession?

d10-4 If you could visit any RPG world for real which would it be?

d10-5 If you could own for real one item off one of your player character's character Sheets, what would it be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Sandy!

d10-1 What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2 Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3 Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4 Having fun?
d10-5 What would have been your name if it wasn't the name you have?
d10-6 What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8 What is your favourite time of day?
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?
d10-1d10-2 What is your favourite RPG race/class?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meshell Heelbeck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Spotsylvania County
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Wow, hard to believe it took so long for somebody to choose you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammer Man
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Sandy!!!

Some questions:

d10-1 What is your favourite role playing game?
d10-2 What are your favourite dice?
d10-3 What is your favourite book?
d10-4 And film?
d10-5 Chose one: Sword, Axe or bow?
d10-6 A genre you have never tried and you would like to?

Enjoy your week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.