Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Pinkham
United States
La Palma
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are Fudge-based games rare enough that dF aren't in demand? My group primarily plays using the Fate system, so we use them all the time.

Where is the best place to get these? I noticed that Superherogameland has a good price for the GM pack, but the shipping keeps me from making the purchase.

Also, I noticed that GM Pack 2 is impossible to find now. I was kind of hoping to find it somewhere because another guy in my group already has GM Pack 1.

Any thoughts on these issues?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know - maybe we'll just have to chalk it up to FATE?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
You should be playing Dungeon World
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGs are a fairly niche market and FUDGE dice are a niche product within that market so it's not surprising that most shops don't carry them. I've purchased mine at conventions, but I can also recommend Noble Knight Games, and Indie Press Revolution as reliable sources.

Noble Knight typically runs sales on stuff a couple times per year (last spring they had a spring clearance that all kinds of stuff marked down up to 50%) which I usually wait for before placing an order since the postage on a package of dice can easily double the cost. For IPR, I usually just find myself a couple of cool indie titles to order and then throw the extra into the order to make sure I clear the price point where the shipping discount kicks in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani (@rpggeek)
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had good luck finding them on ebay a couple of years ago. I managed to get two packs - a set of 20 white FUDGE dice and a set of 20 black FUDGE dice. I'd have loved some other colors, but I think I paid $16 + $4 shipping for the 40 dice. So keep your eyes peeled - sometimes small stores decide to ebay out stock that isn't moving for whatever reason and you can manage to pick up stuff very reasonably!

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For auction: 1 pack FUDGE dice. 4 each Orange, Yellow, Green, Pink, Purple. Still in original plastic pack with instructions. Very lightly used, no marks on dice. Pack marked "Mulricolor GMs Pack II GGG9020MC2" original price $15.00.

Place your bids now, gentlemen. Postage to be paid by winner from here in Scotland. Once someone shows me how, I'll give RPGGeek it's cut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
It's obvious that sos1 is trying exert undue pressure on the market. He has gazillions of them buried in a landfill behind his house. Some in colors you never even knew existed. ;)

That being said, I usually get mine from rpgshop.com. They have reasonable prices and ship quick. Plus they're in stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric N
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
This is Corruption by Doug Kovacs
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an article about making your own Fudge dice.

http://www.fudgefactor.org/2001/12/01/babys_first_fudge_dice...

Should hold you over until you can find a set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lesulm1 wrote:
Hello?

Is my earlier post invisible? Fudge dice available here & now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric N
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
This is Corruption by Doug Kovacs
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
lesulm1 wrote:
Hello?

Is my earlier post invisible? Fudge dice available here & now.

Should hold you over until the dice you buy from Wulf arrive.

Better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ann Dupuis
United States
Randolph
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
"Why are Fudge dice so hard to find?"

Mostly because the hobby game distribution system is broken. "Just in time inventory" practices plus the general malaise of roleplaying games in retail stores (especially if they're not first- or second-tier games) lead to supply problems on the retail side of the equation. The distribution tier seems to be the bottle-neck, because this is a question I get asked by retailers as well as consumers.

I have plenty of Fudge dice in stock and am about to order even more to make sure I don't run out around Christmas time.

Impressions Advertising, my fulfillment center into the hobby game distribution system, keeps Fudge dice nicely in stock.

If your friendly local game store owner is having trouble getting Fudge dice for you, please point them here: http://fudgerpg.com/retailers_support.html

If you'd like to order Fudge dice directly from Grey Ghost Press, you can use this order form: http://fudgerpg.com/files/pdf/OrderForm2009Fillable.pdf

We're working on revamping the fudgerpg.com website, and will be implementing a full online store for Fudge books & dice. More info soon.

"Also, I noticed that GM Pack 2 is impossible to find now. I was kind of hoping to find it somewhere because another guy in my group already has GM Pack 1."

The "GM Pastel" pack (aka "puke pastel" -- one retailer doubled sales when they started calling it that!) is permanently out of production. This is due to a switch in manufacturers a couple of years ago. The new Fudge dice are now made in China, which was the only way I could keep costs down enough to make any money on the Fudge dice. For various reasons the pastel colors were not available through the Chinese manufacturer.

On the plus side, the new Fudge dice are actually /much/ nicer than the old Fudge dice. They're the same size, but weightier, shinier, and aesthetically more pleasing. :-)

According to some Fudge fans, they roll better, too. ;-)

Ann Dupuis
Grey Ghost Press, Inc.
ghostgames@fudgerpg.com
http://fudgerpg.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lesulm1 wrote:
Should hold you over until the dice you buy from Wulf arrive.
Much better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Alfke
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The board game "Tales Of The Arabian Nights", from Z-Man Games, comes with two (2) Fudge dice. Of course the game costs about $60, which is a lot for a pair of dice, but it's a fine game with great production values, and a storytelling aspect to it that RPG'ers should enjoy...

I also recommend the iPhone app Dicenomicon, which lets you roll pretty 3D-rendered dice by shaking the phone. It comes with Fudge dice as well as any other type of die you can possibly imagine. (Seriously, if you want to roll a hundred d17s with the names of hockey teams on the faces, and have it add up the number of teams that have won the Stanley cup, you can probably configure it for that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Pinkham
United States
La Palma
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses. The best deal still seems to be http://www.superherogameland.com/.

I wonder....if more games start using the Fate system, will Fudge dice become more common? That would be nice. Imagine Fudge dice in every store and website, in multiple styles and packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
July 5th Miramar -Be There!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid there's only one (1) Fudge die in "Tales of The Arabian Nights" (in my copy, anyway, along with normal d6).

But I definitely recommend the game to roleplayers who treasure Story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lesulm1 wrote:
Here's an article about making your own Fudge dice.

http://www.fudgefactor.org/2001/12/01/babys_first_fudge_dice...

I have to admit, I looked at the modified dice thinking to myself, "Well, the slashes could be the minuses, but I don't really see what the squares and Xes are supposed to represent" until I read the accompanying text. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Pinkham
United States
La Palma
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghostgames wrote:

On the plus side, the new Fudge dice are actually /much/ nicer than the old Fudge dice. They're the same size, but weightier, shinier, and aesthetically more pleasing. :-)

Ann, would you mind listing the product or item number for these new dice so we can know what to look for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
IPR has some in stock:

Fudge Dice Tube
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ann Dupuis
United States
Randolph
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TimothyP wrote:
Ghostgames wrote:

Ann, would you mind listing the product or item number for these new dice so we can know what to look for?

If you're looking specifically for the new Fudge dice made in China, the best way to be sure is to order the Fudge Dice Tubes:

9004BK 4 Fudge dice, black
9004BL 4 Fudge dice, blue
9004I 4 Fudge dice, ivory
9004R 4 Fudge dice, red
9004W 4Fudge dice, white

The other sku (product number) for Fudge dice that should get you the new dice is:

GGG9020MC (This is the multicolored GMs pack -- 4 dice of each of the 5 colors). However, I didn't change the sku when the dice changed, and there may still be some of the older dice in distribution, so you may want to examine the dice themselves.

The older dice have symbols (pluses and minuses) that measure 7mm or 8mm across (a little over 1/4 inch). The thickness of the lines may vary. And the minus signs may be oriented either parallel to or perpendicular to the plus signs to either side... often showing both orientations in the same GMs pack (but usually not in the same color).

The Chinese-manufactured Fudge dice have symbols measuring precisely 9mm (5/16th of an inch) across, the minus signs all orient one way respective of the plus signs (if you look at a minus sign so it's horizontal, or "right-way-to," the plus signs will be on the sides to the right and left of the minus sign, not above or below), and the filler color in the symbols is hand-painted, usually resulting in a slight "flare" at the ends of the arms where the brush stroke spreads the paint out a bit.

Oh, almost forgot to mention: if you find the older dice in stock at a retail store, please let the retailer know that there are shinier Fudge dice available now, and that Grey Ghost Press offers stock swaps to retailers (older product that hasn't been selling for newer product that may). :-)

---
Ann Dupuis
Grey Ghost Press, Inc.
ghostgames@fudgerpg.com
http://fudgerpg.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to steal a sale, but I am really into making my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myles Corcoran
Ireland
Cork
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TimothyP wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. The best deal still seems to be http://www.superherogameland.com/.

If you're in the US perhaps. I looked them today and they're charging $9.75 for the GM's pack of Fudge dice and a whopping $35.10 for shipping to Ireland. Bloody hell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because once someone plays Spirit of the Century, you have to pry the dice from their cold, dead hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Neddermann
Spain
flag msg tools
You might find this interesting:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a set from Milsims in Australia. They were listed as out of stock, but I got them in about three weeks after enquiring. So I think if you just asked any online store that knows of them to get you a set, they could do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker P
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mb
Here's how I got my first Fudge dice. I played in a game of Terra Incognita at CanGames and the GM had contacted Ann Dupuis of Grey Ghost games for some prize material. We each got one set of 4 dice to play with and then got to keep them at the end of the game. Nice touch! I also won the roleplaying award and got the Terra Incognita book as a prize.

Later, when I was first getting into SotC, I heard about the new ones and made sure to get a GM's pack from IPR. They definitely have a nicer solidity and roll in a very satisfying way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
mbmbmbmbmb
They've got fudge dice at my FLGS, Game Kastle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.