Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Trail of Cthulhu
Microscope
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Come Inside My Body
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Aces & Eights: Shattered Frontier
The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
Gamma World Roleplaying Game
Black Tokyo: The Hentai SRD
Lamentations of the Flame Princess (Grindhouse Edition)
Musha Shugyo Special Issue: Kyuden Soyokaze
13th Age
Call of Cthulhu (7th Edition)
All Flesh Must Be Eaten Revised Edition
Tunnels & Trolls Rulebook (5th Edition)
Battle Scarred Veterans Go Hiking
Malleus Monstrorum
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Lady Blackbird
X11: Saga of the Shadow Lord
Gamma World Player's Handbook
Eclipse Phase Core Rulebook
The Book of Unremitting Horror
Cthulhu Invictus (2nd edition)
Pathfinder #31: Stolen Land
Savage Worlds Deluxe
ASE1: Anomalous Subsurface Environment: City of Denethix and Dungeon Level 1
Red Tide: Campaign Sourcebook and Sandbox Toolkit
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Fate Core System
Baker Street: Roleplaying in the World of Sherlock Holmes
Eternal Lies
ERA: Epic Storytelling Game
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Pathfinder Society Scenario 6-02: The Silver Mount Collection
DDEX1-01: Defiance in Phlan
The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse
The Hounds of Halthrag Keep
Infestation, An RPG of Bugs and Heroes
Princes of the Apocalypse
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
47 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: RPG Geek of the Week #32 - Merric Blackman (MerricB) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's the end of my week and it's time for me to announce my nomination for the RPG Geek of the Week. I'm sure we all recognize his name, as he has been active on BGG and has presented several great session reports and reviews here on RPGG. So please help me congratulate this weeks RPG GotW, the self-proclaimed Killer DM, Merric Blackman!

Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb

Merric wrote:
G'day, all!

I'm Merric Blackman, a 37 year-old Australian gamer who has been struggling this year to contribute to the 'geek under the weight of all the gaming I've been doing.

The year I started playing D&D was probably 1982. Or thereabouts. I was probably 9. My memory of the occasion is that I'd been out singing in a concert (for a lot of my life, I've been a chorister of some sort or another), and that when I got home I discovered that at a get-together my parents had arranged some of the kids were playing this interesting game... D&D. I watched a very small amount of the game, and then it ended. Alas!

Soon enough, I discovered that a friend that lived in the same street that had the game, and so began a life dominated by D&D and other RPGs. My playing of boardgames, for which I'm more known about here, is a recent hobby, dating back only for the last ten years. D&D was first, and it's been a pretty constant hobby since then, although there were a few years after I moved to Ballarat 15 years ago when I didn't play any RPGs. (I got introduced to Magic at about that time, and played that instead. Many of my current RPG players played Magic with me!)

The last ten years, despite the rise of boardgames in my life, have been exceptionally busy with D&D. There have been times that I've been running three sessions a week. I rarely get to play any RPGs; mostly I prefer being a DM. I consider myself a poor player of RPGs, because I have this love of knowing what is going on, and most DMs seem to keep me in the dark! It is the greatest flaw of the form: things your character should know or see are reliant on the good wishes of the DM. Of course, when I'm DM, I'm a real tyrant behind the screen, so I need well-trained players.

Although D&D is my number-one RPG - and that applies to any version of it. I'm currently running 4E, but I'd run or play any edition - there are several other RPGs that I enjoy, if I don't play them consistently. Amber is a big one; I ran and played in a big campaign of that when I was at Uni. I love the original books, and running a Diceless system taught me a lot about improvisation and storytelling. Star Wars is great - Saga and the West End Games versions by preference. The other really important RPG from my youth is Victory Games's James Bond 007, which I played a lot of one-on-one games when I was at school. There are other games I have played, but those are the main ones of note.

With one of the key players I have going away for a few months, we're pausing play of the two D&D campaigns I run until the new year. In the meantime, I'm playing D&D 4E for once (as a Kalashtar Ardent), and I'm running a Call of Cthulhu campaign. I'll continue to run my fortnightly RPGA Living Forgotten Realms games at my FLGS. When my friend returns, I think it'll be time for the new Wizards release, Tomb of Horrors, which seems to tie into the Greyhawk campaign I'm running very nicely.

There's plenty of other things RPGwise to talk about, but I'll save them for the actual thread.

Cheers,
Merric

And Merric's two truths and a lie. Can you guess which is which?

Poll
Which of these things is not like the other?
1) Merric used to play Teenagers from Outer Space as a character who could turn into a Ravenous Bugblatter Beast from Traal, and whose best friend was Juiblex Junior.
2) During the dark years Merric fell out of roleplaying, he used to think about fusing Magic: the Gathering with D&D to make a new RPG.
3) Merric, a self-proclaimed Killer DM, has achieved a Total Party Kill only twice during his career as a DM.
      35 answers
Poll created by belirahc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start off by posting my standard list of questions for you, Merric. I'm sure these will be some of the easier questions you will get this week, so enjoy. ^_^

d10-1 Do you watch anime, and if so, what is your favorite series?
d10-2 Have you ever played an anime-style RPG? If so, which one and what was your opinion of the system?
d10-3 What is your opinion of diceless systems. What is your favorite if you have one?
d10-4 Have you ever played a MUD, MUSH or MOO? What is/was your favorite one?
d10-5 What would you want to see in Geek: The Role Playing Game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay, Merric! Always nice to see a countryman as GotW!

Some questions:

So, you've assembled your ideal gaming group from all of history, literature, space, time and anywhere else not covered yet:

arrrhWhat difficulties do you encounter in organising the session (apart from inter-dimensional etc contact with your players)?
arrrhWhere do you hold the session, ideally?
arrrhIs there a dress code?
arrrhWhat time does the session start and why?
arrrhWhat snacks do you serve?
arrrhWhat colour is the tablecloth?
arrrhWho are they?
arrrhWho crashes the session halfway through, angry that they didn't get invited?
arrrhWhat mode of transportation does each use to get there?
arrrhWhat game do you run?
arrrhWhat props do you give them to use?
arrrhWhat type of characters do they play?
arrrhWhose mobile phone annoyingly rings as you're building to the climactic scene?
arrrhWho uses hard-to-read dice and claims to always succeed?
arrrhWho is the biggest Rules Lawyer at the table?
arrrhWho is the first to betray the party?
arrrhWho noblely sacrifices themselves for the good of the party?
arrrhHow much XP does each player get and why did each get docked?
arrrhWhat game do they ask you to run for them next session?
arrrhWhich two are no longer friends after the session?
arrrhWhen you found out you were GotW, which 'always asked' questions did you prepare to answer in advance?
arrrhHow hard was it to answer this question - is it time to hit the reset button?

Also, have you ever lived in/gamed in NSW? I could swear I know you from your picture...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
If you have some sanity left...
badge
...come and join me in the tavern I buy you a mug of beer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congatulations Merric,

1 What's you're favorite monster?
2 What's you're favorite beer?
3 Wich boardgames do you prefer?
4 What's you're favorite meal?
5 Will you congratulate you're BGG counterpart and ask him/her some questions?
6 What was the most strange character you've ever created?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day, all!

Thank you very much Erich for selecting me.

And now... let's answer some questions.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 Do you watch anime, and if so, what is your favorite series?

Not any more. Well, from time to time. Most of my anime watching is in the past, mainly because I get too busy gaming.

There are few series I enjoyed, but the one that made the greatest impression on me was the original series of Bubblegum Crisis. Yes, it was incomplete. Yes, when I first saw it it was an undubbed version... but I found it extremely intriguing. I saw the remake and enjoyed it, but there was a raw energy to the original series that was fascinating.

d10-2 Have you ever played an anime-style RPG? If so, which one and what was your opinion of the system?

Not really. Most of the anime-style systems really postdate my Uni days when I experimented with systems more. I played TOON once, but that doesn't quite qualify.

d10-3 What is your opinion of diceless systems. What is your favorite if you have one?

AMBER is my favourite diceless system, and the only one I've played. That said, I've played a lot of it. It taught me a lot about storytelling, plot construction, and the danger of having the GM so totally in control. As a result, I am very, very wary of new story-telling games where the players and GM construct the plot together and the mechanics aren't really cut and dried.

This is despite me happily overruling the dice when I consider it relevant. Consistent? Me? Always!

The resolution system is tremendously important to my enjoyment of role-playing. It's got to give results that are consistent with how the game is run. There was a huge disconnect between how I wanted Serenity to run in my recently-concluded campaign and how the system worked - or failed to. Indeed, I ended up running the game practically diceless! However, for the second "season" of that campaign, I'm likely to use Traveller (MGP) because I think I can rely on the system more.

A solid resolution system protects you against favouritism and making certain mistakes, as well as providing a baseline for player expectations. When someone who is competent at something fails too often, you have a problem.

d10-4 Ha you ever played a MUD, MUSH or MOO? What is/was your favorite one?

Briefly, a long time ago. So, not really.

d10-5 What would you want to see in Geek: The Role Playing Game?

A good resolution system. Oh, and plenty of PC deaths!

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrhWhat difficulties do you encounter in organising the session (apart from inter-dimensional etc contact with your players)?

Finding a time when I'm awake enough to hold it... and it's not clashing with any of my other games.

arrrhWhere do you hold the session, ideally?

My house, my room. There's a picture of it somewhere about.

arrrhIs there a dress code?

Clothing is required.

arrrhWhat time does the session start and why?

Probably half-an-hour to an hour after it was scheduled to start. I know from long experience, we can't dive into role-playing: we have to chat first.

That said, interesting fact from my time running Amber: the sessions rarely came alive until evening. We'd start at 2pm or thereabouts and go until 11pm, but all the really, really good role-playing and story-telling happened after 7pm.

arrrhWhat snacks do you serve?

Various soft drinks, but these days I tend to hold off on the nibblies.

arrrhWhat colour is the tablecloth?

None. I like the wood of my table.

arrrhWho are they?

Quite likely the best players I've played with over the years. There are people who were great role-players but they no longer play with me (due to moving away and the like). It'd be great to see them all together.

arrrhWho crashes the session halfway through, angry that they didn't get invited?

Heh. No-one that you know, thankfully!

arrrhWhat mode of transportation does each use to get there?

They all get lifts. With each other. No-one drives themselves. (It's one reason so few sessions get held at my place... so few of my friends have been drivers).

arrrhWhat game do you run?

Amber. For a one-off session, there's nothing better. For a campaign, I'd probably be running some edition of D&D.

arrrhWhat props do you give them to use?

Heh. This is a game of the imagination. Though a set of Trumps would be nice...

arrrhWhat type of characters do they play?

Devious, Machiavellian schemers. Some are charming, some are just bastards.

arrrhWhose mobile phone annoyingly rings as you're building to the climactic scene?

No-one's. One interesting feature about where I live: no mobile reception!

arrrhWho uses hard-to-read dice and claims to always succeed?

Everyone. (Although Nathaniel is *actually* the one in real life who uses hard-to-read dice). However, by playing Amber, I've removed the dice element. They'll still always claim to succeed.

arrrhWho is the biggest Rules Lawyer at the table?

Me. There's a reason I'm almost always the DM.

arrrhWho is the first to betray the party?

Sadly, if I was playing rather than running the group, me again. Of course, this is Amber. What party? (And all of them, simultaneously).

arrrhWho noblely sacrifices themselves for the good of the party?

If he's gotten there, David Lucardie. You probably don't know him, but he's a wonderful Australian roleplayer who is nice, decent, good-hearted and keeps all of those personality traits even whilst playing Amber. Poor guy.

arrrhHow much XP does each player get and why did each get docked?

They might ask, but I'll never tell!

arrrhWhat game do they ask you to run for them next session?

Paranoia.

arrrhWhen you found out you were GotW, which 'always asked' questions did you prepare to answer in advance?

None. I'm really, really brave.

arrrhHow hard was it to answer this question - is it time to hit the reset button?

Not that hard. I just think back to all the Throne Wars I've run.

Quote:
Also, have you ever lived in/gamed in NSW? I could swear I know you from your picture...

No. I've visited briefly, but that was a decade or more ago. However, I've been using my picture as my avatar for the last decade or so, and I have a very big presence on EN World, plus I used to be the head moderator during the glory days of the Maxminis board... and then I posted a lot on Dragonsfoot... and other places around the net!

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Congatulations Merric,

Thank you!

1 What's your favorite monster?

Ask any of my players, and you'll discover I'm very fond of using ghouls and other undead nasties. Abyssal Ghouls are a lot of fun.

2 What's your favorite beer?

I don't drink alcohol. Strange, I know, but that's how it is.

3 Which boardgames do you prefer?

There are too many. I really enjoy
* Twilight Struggle
* Through the Ages
* Advanced Squad Leader
* Agricola
but there are many I really, really like.

4 What's you're favorite meal?

Hungarian Beef Goulash

5 Will you congratulate your BGG counterpart and ask him/her some questions?

Most likely not... unless I've really admired their work or I'm a lot less busy than usual. This year has been mad: not much time for contributing to the 'geek, alas. There are many a session report I've still got to write - including about half my Serenity campaign!

6 What was the most strange character you've ever created?

A gnome with a 19 Intelligence and a 5 Wisdom, who fell in love with the 23 comeliness elf a friend had created. It really, really annoyed the player... but it was his fault for creating a female character that was so beautiful.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MerricB wrote:
5 Will you congratulate your BGG counterpart and ask him/her some questions?

Most likely not... unless I've really admired their work or I'm a lot less busy than usual. This year has been mad: not much time for contributing to the 'geek, alas. There are many a session report I've still got to write - including about half my Serenity campaign!

That said, I've just gone across to congratulate Engoduun... and ask him "RPGs or Boardgames?" It seemed appropriate.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Merric!

1db Is there anything coming out this year - not including Tomb of Horrors (hey, you mentioned it!) - that you are going to pick up? Any specific plans for it?

d10-2 Okay, same question above, but not D&D related. Anything?

3 If D&D never existed and other games filled in the huge gap, do you still find the hobby?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bossko B.
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
Big damn heroes!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Merric,

congrats on be Geek of the Week.

d10-1 As you say you're fan of WEG Star Wars this usual question is appropriate; Bucket of Dice of minimal dice?

d10-2 Is there an RPG related story that always makes you laugh?

d10-3 I am actually in the middle of watching The Man with the Golden Gun, one of my favourite Bond films. Which is your favourite Bond film?

d10-4 What is you favourite film?

d10-5 Who is your favourite Doctor?

d10-6 If you had the TARDIS where is the first place you would go?

MerricB wrote:

2 What's your favorite beer?

I don't drink alcohol. Strange, I know, but that's how it is.

Not strange, but I thought you were an Aussie
I saw an article recently about a car meet in Australia. Organisers were limiting beer to only one case per person per day so people were sneaking extra in LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Eagle River
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
Gaming in Greater Anchorage area, Alaska since 1978. Looking for Indy-willing RPG players in Eagle River (or willing to drive to Eagle River). Geekmail me if interested.
badge
Yes, this really is what I looked like when I uploaded that avatar. Not that it's quite current anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! My usual questions:
d10-1 What's the worst system, ignoring the GM, you've enjoyed?

d10-2 What's the worst system you've played more than one session of?

d10-3 If there was one mechanic you could banish from the universe forever, which and why?

d10-4 Have you done PBM, PBEM, Play-by-Post, play by phone, play by chat (voice and/or text)? If so, how do you feel about it?

d10-5 Have you played T&T or derivatives?

d10-6 Generic systems - Good or bad?

d10-7 How long should copyrights last? (Not how long they do, but how long should they...)

d10-8 Open Licenses - Please opine.

d10-9 Have you ever been in a vehicle assaulted by a large Herbivore?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric M. Aldrich I
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1db Is there anything coming out this year - not including Tomb of Horrors (hey, you mentioned it!) - that you are going to pick up? Any specific plans for it?

I'm tremendously excited about the D&D Essentials line. I'm hoping it will help the less mechanically inclined to enjoy 4e. I'm actually getting frustrated by the previews, because it isn't out yet and I really want it!

d10-2 Okay, same question above, but not D&D related. Anything?

I'm really hoping a supplement for the Doctor Who RPG comes out this year.

3 If D&D never existed and other games filled in the huge gap, do you still find the hobby?

I'd imagine so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugavine wrote:
Hey Merric,

congrats on be Geek of the Week.

Thank you! (Hooray! I was finally able to accept! )

d10-1 As you say you're fan of WEG Star Wars this usual question is appropriate; Bucket of Dice of minimal dice?

Dice as appropriate. In fact, as I get older I more and more appreciate minimal dice, because of the horrible arithmetical skills of the young. Waiting 5 minutes for someone to add up the 10d6 damage of a fireball just ain't that much fun.

d10-2 Is there an RPG related story that always makes you laugh?

Yes. Lots of them.

I started this thread on EN World about the stupid things PCs do, and related a few things that I've seen. However, here's one more, from my early days of roleplaying.

The situation: We're playing Marvel Superheroes, as an X-Men type team of mutants. Strange things have been happening around the city, and we really, really need information to help us. We help save a poor, terrified, normal man from the latest occurrence, and looking at our motley crew, he asks (terrified), "Who are you?"

Talon, a huge mutant catman, gets there first: "We are the Harbingers of your DOOM!"

Cue hysterics from the man.

With that group, we later had the "Talon award", which we gave out whenever someone said the most inappropriate thing at the worst time. I can't remember any of the occasions that needed its awarding, but I remember why it was instituted, some 17 years later.

d10-3 I am actually in the middle of watching The Man with the Golden Gun, one of my favourite Bond films. Which is your favourite Bond film?

Casino Royale. I'm very fond of Daniel Craig as James Bond. That said, I'm also very fond of You Only Live Twice and A View To A Kill - the latter is the first Bond film I saw at the cinema. Oh, Christopher Walken as the villain is too good to pass up.

d10-4 What is you favourite film?

That's really hard to answer. I've been moving away from seeing films and more towards just following TV series in recent years. That said, it's probably The Dark Knight.

d10-5 Who is your favourite Doctor?

David Tennant, Sylvester McCoy, Peter Davison, and Tom Baker.

England, 1964... so I could get my hands on Marco Polo, the first of the missing Doctor Who stories. (and then get copies of the rest of them). I'm reminded of Douglas Adams' "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency"... where the time traveller (the Professor) uses his time machine to watch television: much easier than fiddling around with the video machine!

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bossko B.
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
Big damn heroes!
mbmbmbmbmb
MerricB wrote:

England, 1964... so I could get my hands on Marco Polo, the first of the missing Doctor Who stories.

I love this answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 What's the worst system, ignoring the GM, you've enjoyed?

AD&D 1E. Brilliant core system, but the game as a whole (if you actually used everything) doesn't quite make sense and is way too fiddly. Oh, okay, it's not that bad... but Gygax, inspirational though he is, desperately needed a competent developer and editor working with him.

d10-2 What's the worst system you've played more than one session of?

Serenity. It's hard to express how much that system fails. Eventually, I abandoned most of it, but at least it helped create some good characters for a memorable campaign.

d10-3 If there was one mechanic you could banish from the universe forever, which and why?

FUDGE dice. Because I *hate* subtracting one die from another. Even such small values of negatives.

d10-4 Have you done PBM, PBEM, Play-by-Post, play by phone, play by chat (voice and/or text)? If so, how do you feel about it?

I tried play-by-post once. I then gave up; it just runs too slowly for me!

d10-5 Have you played T&T or derivatives?

I played some of the solo T&T books when I was younger. I didn't come away from them thinking, "Hey, I must play this system!" I did think "Hey, these aren't balanced in the slightest!" and that was before I really understood game balance.

d10-6 Generic systems - Good or bad?

Mostly bad. I think there are systems that can handle more than one genre, but it's mostly an accident. I'm not really a fan of GURPS, for instance, because it requires so much tinkering to play D&D-style. GURPS handles some genres really well, but as it gets away from its baseline values, it gets clunkier and clunkier.

d10-7 How long should copyrights last? (Not how long they do, but how long should they...)

As long as is appropriate for me. No real opinion here.

d10-8 Open Licenses - Please opine.

The OGL - and related licenses - are a brilliant idea, but they have severe problems for the original rights holders. Of course, given the horrible status of copyright law as regards RPGs, their absence doesn't really make things better for rights holders either!

I think the OGL did great things for the RPG hobby, but it also caused a lot of problems too (glut, lack of product control). So it's a mixed blessing, really.

For smaller companies, an Open License is great because it helps a community of designers build up around your product... but, again, you lose quality control.

d10-9 Have you ever been in a vehicle assaulted by a large Herbivore

I've still got a dint in my car from when a kangaroo jumped into it. Stupid animal... it got panicked because it was with a mob of about 30 of them, and none of them could understand how to get past a fence. (You *jump* over it. You're a kangaroo!)

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
G'Day Merric,

I try to remember to ask each RPG Geek of the Week the following Role Playing related questions even though sometimes they may have already been answered in your intro or earlier questions.

d10-1 What was your first RPG?
d10-2 What was your second RPG?
d10-3 Player, GM or both?
d10-4 Do you have a favourite die? e.g. d4, d12 etc.
d10-5 Do you have a preferred group size?
d10-6 If you have been involved in a campaign, what's the longest running one you have played in or run?
d10-7 Minis for combat?
d10-8 What other types (e.g. board, miniature etc.) of games do you play?
d10-9 Have you found a use for d30s other than rolling the day of the month on four months of the year?
d10-1d10-0 Have you ever role played at a convention?
d10-1d10-1 Tell us about your most memorable character death or exit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 What was your first RPG?

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st edition and Dungeons & Dragons Basic (Moldvay)... pretty much together.

d10-2 What was your second RPG?

Top Secret. Played it a couple of times, but I've never owned the rules (or read them, actually). SPI's Universe was the second RPG I owned.

d10-3 Player, GM or both?

It's about 70% GM these days; I played more when I was starting.

d10-4 Do you have a favourite die? e.g. d4, d12 etc.

Four six-sided dice.

d10-5 Do you have a preferred group size?

One GM, 4-6 players.

d10-6 If you have been involved in a campaign, what's the longest running one you have played in or run?

Probably the Amber campaign we had at Uni which went for about 3 years. Most of my recent D&D campaigns run for 2-3 years and then we start again with new characters in the same world.

d10-7 Minis for combat?

Mostly, yes. My players insist.

d10-8 What other types (e.g. board, miniature etc.) of games do you play?

A lot of boardgames. Miniature games, not so much. (BattleTech works more as a boardgame). Some computer games, mostly Civilisation.

d10-9 Have you found a use for d30s other than rolling the day of the month on four months of the year?

Draining the money supply of people who don't have anything better to spend their money on.

d10-1d10-0 Have you ever role played at a convention?

Yes. I attended the Victorian conventions of Conquest and Arcanacon for a few years, but it's many years since I did so.

On one occasion, our group won the "Best Story" for the Amber RPG... it was more the work of the other players than myself (I've always been a better DM) where our session shaped every session afterwards.

d10-1d10-1 Tell us about your most memorable character death or exit

I really can't think of any. My characters are particularly memorable in that they tend to live!

We played a Greyhawk Ruins campaign where my character (Alvares Yulos, cleric of Pelor) was the only character to never die in the campaign. My original AD&D magic-user, Meliander, also never died. I still use both as NPCs in the Greyhawk games I run.

Thinking about it... there was one character that died. Taliesin, my PC in the Amber campaign. I was murdered by another PC... who was playing my son. Didn't see it coming.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
July 5th Miramar -Be There!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Merric, Congratulations on your double geek-hood!

I see you have Lord of Light listed as one of your favourite books. Assuming this is the Roger Zelazny book about advanced humans impersonating gods on another planet, have you ever used this setting or idea for any of the games you have run?

Are there any James Bond villains / mad schemes / death traps that you invented that you are particularly proud of?

Do you use published scenarios for Call of Cthulhu, or your own campaign, or a mixture of the two? As I asked previous RPGGeeks, do you use local, familiar settings in your campaigns, or prefer to set your games away from your home town?

Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Wine Pie wrote:
Hi Merric, Congratulations on your double geek-hood!

Thank you muchly.

I see you have Lord of Light listed as one of your favourite books. Assuming this is the Roger Zelazny book about advanced humans impersonating gods on another planet, have you ever used this setting or idea for any of the games you have run?

Sadly, no. Playing & running the Amber campaign did allow us a lot of leeway for interesting environments though: we had settings based on Steven Brust's works, Glen Cook's, and - of course - I had Daleks invading Amber.

However, I don't really know enough about Indian mythology to properly do that setting justice.

Are there any James Bond villains / mad schemes / death traps that you invented that you are particularly proud of?

Mostly, I've played James Bond, not DMed it. However, for a D&D trap I'm particularly proud of:

The PCs are hunting a vampire. They know it's around somewhere, and then they find an island with a coffin. Inside the coffin, the sleeping form of the vampire.

The paladin gets out his stake, and plunges into the vampire's heart... except he hasn't plunged it into the heart, he's put his hand into a vat of green slime. I was very pleased about that.

And don't ask Nathaniel about mimics.

Do you use published scenarios for Call of Cthulhu, or your own campaign, or a mixture of the two?

Published. I may one day create my own CoC adventure, but I enjoy bringing to life adventures others have written.

The Serenity campaign was all my own work, and many of the D&D campaigns tend to have a mix of published and self-made adventures.

As I asked previous RPGGeeks, do you use local, familiar settings in your campaigns, or prefer to set your games away from your home town?

Away from my home town.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Congratulations, Merric!

The questions:
d10-0 What is your beverage of choice and would you drink it at the game table?
d10-1 Do you go for thematic/background music for your games and if so, what's your favourite style?
d10-2 Assuming that you have spare time outside of The Geek and gaming, what other hobbies do you get involved with?
d10-3 What is the farthest place away from your home town that you have played a game?
d10-4 Chit Chat is a) Home; b) Full of weirdos c) Meh; d) Not as good as The Tavern; e) Too time consuming? Please pick any that apply and let us know what you think about the social side of The Geek.
d10-5 Do you have any game ideas inside of you, screaming to get out?
d10-6 In your opinion, what is the most beautiful part of Australia?
d10-7 What is printed on your favourite RPG themed T-shirt?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Merric.

A couple of questions for you...

1 What's your favourite D&D campaign setting?
2 Have you generated your own D&D world/campaign setting before?
3 What's your preferred Call of Cthulhu setting? ('20s, '30s, Victorian, modern, etc.)

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Well deserved!

MerricB wrote:
There are few series I enjoyed, but the one that made the greatest impression on me was the original series of Bubblegum Crisis. Yes, it was incomplete. Yes, when I first saw it it was an undubbed version... but I found it extremely intriguing. I saw the remake and enjoyed it, but there was a raw energy to the original series that was fascinating.

The best thing about Bubblegum Crisis 2040 was that it was a complete story, and it was in no sense bad. The original was generally superior, the fact that it fell through 2/3rds of the way through is just a pain.

I wish I could find the soundtracks for the OAV series, instead of just the vocal collection.

d10-1 Since you at least used to watch anime... what was the first anime you watched (and knew of it as anime)?
d10-2 What is the version of D&D you've played the most?
d10-3 Do you ever read RPG setting/adventure material for its own sake, or only with plans to use it/lift the better ideas for later?
d10-4 What's your favorite RPG setting (one that has independent products dedicated just to it, not just the 'assumed setting' inside the main rules)?
d10-5 What RPG item are you happiest to have in your collection? (i.e., hard to track down, or otherwise lucky to have, and you wanted it.)
d10-6 Have you played any SF RPGs?
d10-7 How often do you get to play boardgames face to face?
d10-8 What is your favorite wargame?
d10-9 Spending any time on VGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_lunch wrote:
Congratulations, Merric!

Thank you!

d10-0 What is your beverage of choice and would you drink it at the game table?

Coca-cola, and yes, I do.

d10-1 Do you go for thematic/background music for your games and if so, what's your favourite style?

Rarely. When I do, it's typically classical music of some sort. I played some Monteverdi during a recent session where the characters attended a ball.

d10-2 Assuming that you have spare time outside of The Geek and gaming, what other hobbies do you get involved with?

I read fantasy and science-fiction books, but my gaming is taking up most of my time at present.

Thursday evening: Wargaming. Friday afternoon: Boardgames. Friday evening: Roleplaying. Saturday afternoon: Boardgames. Saturday evening: RPGs. Sunday afternoon: Boardgames or RPGs.

Not much spare time after that!

d10-3 What is the farthest place away from your home town that you have played a game?

Bathurst, but I really don't travel much these days. Why spend so much time travelling when there are places closer to home?

d10-4 Chit Chat is a) Home; b) Full of weirdos c) Meh; d) Not as good as The Tavern; e) Too time consuming? Please pick any that apply and let us know what you think about the social side of The Geek.

(e), pretty much. For the limited time I'm online, I prefer to be reading about games.

d10-5 Do you have any game ideas inside of you, screaming to get out?

Not really. Well, sort of... but I don't want my players to know!

d10-6 In your opinion, what is the most beautiful part of Australia?

I rather like the mountain I live on.

d10-7 What is printed on your favourite RPG themed T-shirt?

It's an Order of the Stick t-shirt, showing the party wandering along with Elan whistling.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.