Aftermath!
Violence: The Roleplaying Game of Egregious and Repulsive Bloodshed
Millennium's End v2.0
Berge des Wahnsinns: Expeditionspack
Starborne
The Achilus Assault
Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Aokigahara
A Spark in Fate Core: A Fate World Building Toolkit
Ehdrigohr Core Rulebook
Dark Crusades
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Teach Me How to Demon
This Mundane Life
Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkana
Let's Be Psychik Friends
DCC #85: The Making of the Ghost Ring
Mountain Terrors: Introduction
Players Handbook (AD&D 1e)
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: 2010 RPG Golden Geek Awards - Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: awards [+] twittered [+] Golden_Geek_Awards [+] [View All]
Dave Bernazzani (@rpggeek)
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked and was given permission by Aldie to split out the RPG-side discussion thread for the 2010 RPG Goldengeeks.

The main Goldengeek announcement thread is here.

RPG

RPG: Game of the Year
mb Diaspora
mb Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space
mb Dragon Age
mb The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game
mb Dungeons & Dragons (4th Edition - Essentials Line)
mb Fiasco
mb Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
mb A Penny for My Thoughts
mb Time & Temp
mb Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (3rd Edition)

RPG: Best Artwork & Pres.
The Armitage Files
Dark Sun Campaign Setting
DC Adventures Hero's Handbook
Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space: The Roleplaying Game (10th Doctor)
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 1: Your Story
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 2: Our World
Eclipse Phase Core Rulebook
Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition RPG
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set

RPG: Best Supplement
The Burning Wheel: Adventure Burner
The Armitage Files
Big Damn Heroes Handbook
Cthulhu Invictus (2nd edition)
Dark Sun Campaign Setting
The Day after Ragnarok (Savage Worlds)
Eureka: 501 Adventure Plots to Inspire Game Masters
Player's Handbook 3 (D&D 4e)
Shadows over Filmland
Tomb of Horrors

RPG: Best Free Game
44: A Game of Automatic Fear
The Bremen Town Musicians
Eclipse Phase Core Rulebook
Ghost/Echo
GRIMDARK
Gym, Tanning, Laundry: The Jersey Shore Role-playing game
Lady Blackbird
The One Page Dungeon Codex 2009
Retrospect
Shakespearead

RPG: Best Podcast
mb 2d6 Feet in a Random Direction
mb Actual People, Actual Play
mb The Canon Puncture Show
mb Dungeons & Dragons Podcast
mb Fear the Boot
mb Narrative Control
mb Theory From the Closet
mb The Voice of the Revolution
mb The Walking Eye Podcast
mb YSDC: Lovecraftian Media

Voting for the 2010 RPG Goldengeeks is done here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've a few notes and clarifications I'd like to put forth.

Why Vote
First, it's important to me personally that you vote in the Goldengeeks for 2010 - especially the RPG side. This is a make or break year for the awards with RPGs - we don't want our first awards to be our last. Support them! The community has done a fantastic job of nominating RPGs and related products - and the nomination lists are really strong.

What Games are Eligible
There has been some confusion as to what games were eligible. Any RPG that had a core book released in 2009 or 2010 is eligible. The Dungeons & Dragons 4e nomination is because the 4e Essentials line was released in 2010. If you vote on D&D 4th Edition this year, be aware that you are really casting a vote for the new 4e Essentials line of products.

Can Designers Vote
Yes. If you worked on a product, you're still eligible to vote pending our restrictions below.

Who Can Vote?
Almost anyone You must be:
a) be a member of RPG Geek (or BGG - same username works on both) and
b) either have a supporter badge (for any year), an avatar (which would have cost 30gg) or put up a one time fee of 20gg.

The later rule (b) is so that people don't just sign up for an account to stuff the ballots. Having said that, if you are one of the folks who found out about us from the online discussions of the RPG Golden Geek awards, sign up for an RPG account and contact me directly (click the little mail icon under my userblock to the left) and talk to me - I'll be happy to personally fund your avatar to get you started. We're trying to grow membership - and while we don't want ballot-stuffers, honest folks who have informed opinions on the games that found us though our GoldenGeek campaign are certainly welcome additions to the site!

Dual Dresden Files?!
We've got an interesting issue with the Best Artwork & Presentation category. Both of the volumes for the Dresden Files RPG were nominated and both are eligible for voting. I'm not a math genius, but I'm guessing that it's possible for the two books to essentially work against eachother. For now, I've only placed a vote for Volume 1 and I'm treating a vote for that as a pair. Not sure what the best thing to recommend here.

Can I vote if I don't have experience with all items in a category?
Yes. As long as you've got experience with at least two items on any voting list you can help. When you give them a rank, you're essentially telling the system "I like X more than Y and both of those more than Z". The numbers you assign to a game, otherwise, mean nothing: they are only used to determine what order you would rank the games in. If you only vote for two games (for example), that's fine - the system will know that you prefer X over Y and will use that information in determining the overall ranking of the items (and the eventual winner). Just leave games you have no experience with or don't want to rank as N/A.

Where can I show my support for the GoldenGeeks
Feel free to post below on any RPG GoldenGeek related geeklists or other bits of cool information you find about the Geekies on other websites, etc.

If you're one of the Nominees, feel free to post below with whatever you want to say. You're free to be excited

Also, we're really utilizing the on-line social networks to spread news of the GoldenGeeks this year. You can see that we've had quite a spike in traffic on Twitter over the last couple of days:

http://twitter.com/search?q=golden%20geek%20OR%20rpggeek

Feel free to Tweet up a storm on the GoldenGeeks, your personal choices on games chosen, etc.

Geek Lifetime Achievement in Role-Playing
Finally, when you're done voting for the 2010 Goldengeeks, I'd appreciate it if you also went and voted in our Geek Lifetime Achievement in Role-Playing (GLARP) where we are picking three roleplaying families to induct into our our hall of fame.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think due to the voting method you can safely vote for both Dresden volumes, as long as you give them adjacent ranks don't give anything else a higher rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a burning desire to discuss this year's Game of the Year nominees in Geeklist form, you can head over to 2010 Golden Geek: RPG Game of the Year Nominees.

Thanks for the heads up Dave!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paz AKA Matt Lewis
United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Finished GMing the Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder Adventure Path at Chester Games Club!
badge
Badger badger badger
mbmbmbmbmb
Some big names there, and some I'd never even heard of (e.g. Time & Temp). It'll be interesting to see what comes out on top.

I'm leaving on a business trip in about 12 hours, so I've downloaded episodes of some of the podcasts to my phone to listen to on the journey. Hopefully I'll get the chance to listen to all ten by the end of the month, so I can make an informed vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
parrais wrote:
I'm leaving on a business trip in about 12 hours, so I've downloaded episodes of some of the podcasts to my phone to listen to on the journey. Hopefully I'll get the chance to listen to all ten by the end of the month, so I can make an informed vote.

The podcasts were the one area I had a very informed decision on all 10. I've been listening to many hundreds of hours of podcasts over the past 16 months on my daily commute. I was able to give rankings to all 10 (and all of those podcasts nominated - and plenty more besides - are worthy of a Golden Geek!).

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a couple of private messages asking if it's okay to vote if you don't have experience with all 10 items on a given list.

The answer is yes. As long as you've played at least two items on any voting list you can help. When you give them a rank, you're essentially telling the system "I like X more than Y and both of those more than Z". The numbers you assign to a game, otherwise, mean nothing: they are only used to determine what order you would rank the games in. If you only vote for two games (for example), that's fine - the system will know that you prefer X over Y and will use that information in determining the overall ranking of the items (and the eventual winner). Just leave games you have no experience with or don't want to rank as N/A.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Epidiah Ravachol
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
If you're one of the Nominees, feel free to post below with whatever you want to say. You're free to be excited

I'm crazy excited about this and absolutely honored by the nomination.

I know that Time & Temp is a pretty obscure little role-playing game and I'd obviously love to correct that. So I'll gladly answer any questions anyone might have.

Here's a quick primer for the uninitiate:

In Time & Temp you play temp workers who have been hired to make sure time happened the way it happened. You have all the power of a temp worker with all the responsibility of a time traveler. To help you along the way, you have tools such as the Ansari Anachronometer and your Employee Handbook.

For those curious about the mechanical side of things, I have a brief example of play in two parts.

In any case, I'm tremendously pleased to see Time & Temp up there in the company it's in. I'm a huge fan of quite a few of the nominees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Epidiah Ravachol wrote:
I know that Time & Temp is a pretty obscure little role-playing game and I'd obviously love to correct that.

Obscure enough that I didn't know anything about it until I saw the nomination However, I've corrected that by ordering it just now!

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
explanation does not equal excuse
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
Epidiah Ravachol wrote:
I know that Time & Temp is a pretty obscure little role-playing game and I'd obviously love to correct that.

Obscure enough that I didn't know anything about it until I saw the nomination However, I've corrected that by ordering it just now!

-Dave

I'd read Robin Laws mention of it at Gen Con, but I hadn't ordered it until now-- copying Dave again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Epidiah Ravachol
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Excellent news! If only the whole world would copy Dave . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
I ordered it yesterday, so technically, Dave is copying me. Everybody else feel free to copy Dave, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cjbowser wrote:
I ordered it yesterday, so technically, Dave is copying me. Everybody else feel free to copy Dave, though.

It is a time travel rpg-- so actually you are all copying me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
edige23 wrote:

It is a time travel rpg-- so actually you are all copying me!

Oh, damn. He's right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked the wide spectrum of nominations, except for the free RPGs.

It just felt awkward that three of the nominations were from contest held less than a month ago.

I don't know entirely what it is, but it feels like nepotism to have contestant entries from our contest up to win the award.

Like I said - I'm not really sure what it is, it just feels off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wind Lane wrote:
It just felt awkward that three of the nominations were from contest held less than a month ago.

I don't know entirely what it is, but it feels like nepotism to have contestant entries from our contest up to win the award.

I had to look up nepotism... remember, small words

The 24-Hour RPG Design contest was one of the biggest deals we've had on RPG Geek in 2010. It generated a lot of positive interest and collected a wide variety of new users who participated and voted. As those free games were read/rated/discussed by at least 35 of us (who were tabulated - though more have since discovered the games), I can see how they would grab nominations.

Remember, these awards (like any) are a popularity contest for our amazing community. The 2010 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs contest was our very own and as such the more popular entries in that list showed up on the nomination list. I'd have been disappointed if none got nominated.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also suggest that a lot of people aren't aware of the vast range of Free RPgs out there-- they've come across a few perhaps and have downloaded them. A smaller fraction probably knows Game Chef, The Free RPG Blog, 1KM1KT, and the like. So having 7 of the nominees not be from something which got a lot of attention a couple of months ago here-- well that actually feels like a success to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes a lot of sense on both your posts. Exposure is going to color a lot of people's choices for sure.

Since this is the first of these awards and everything from before this year is completely eligible, I just expected to see a lot more highly touted, yet older titles rather than so much that's new.

It'd just be a bit of a let down if this one award got that bit of a joke that the metal award did that first year they gave it out at the Grammies...to Jethro Tull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
R'lyeh
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:

I published Eureka: 501 Adventure Plots to Inspire Game Masters, and I'd like to say thank you VERY much to everyone who voted to get Eureka nominated! The book has only been out for three months, and this is a huge honor and a big surprise.

I worked on Eureka along with eight fellow authors and designers from www.gnomestew.com and a team that included a graphic designer, editors, artists, and proofreaders -- 19 people in all. We spent a year designing, writing, developing, and polishing the hell out of this book, and there's nothing else quite like it out there.

It includes 501 system-neutral adventure plots usable with nearly any RPG, subdivided into fantasy, sci-fi, and horror but easily adaptable to many, many genres. The plots are categorized by theme, identified by tags, and supported by four indexes.

If you're curious about the book, you can download a free 19-page PDF excerpt and read rave reviews on Eureka's product page: http://www.enginepublishing.com/eureka-501-adventure-plots-t....

We're a little fish alongside some very big company (including one of my favorite RPG books this year, Luke Crane's The Burning Wheel: Adventure Burner), which is a pretty awesome feeling.

I hope you'll consider voting for Eureka for Best Supplement -- and if you do, thank you for your support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin Ralya wrote:
We're a little fish alongside some very big company (including one of my favorite RPG books this year, Luke Crane's The Burning Wheel: Adventure Burner), which is a pretty awesome feeling.

The nomination lists really are great - and reflect the growing trend of RPG Geek as being fairly wide open in terms of tastes and likes. None of the "little guys" should feel small on these lists - given that it requires somewhat active membership at RPG Geek (or BGG), there won't be an influx of fans from other sites hammering the vote. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say that games like Diaspora have a slight advantage only because the designers have been big supporters of RPG Geek long before we had the award and as such have built up some good will here. Even still, the nominations were all so very close that any game or book or podcast in any category has a chance to win as they are all fantastic: our community considers them the best of the best in the past year+.

Anyway, I guess the real upside here is that more folks will want to go give these great games/books/podcasts a try and that's good for everyone (gamers, designers and publishers).

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
I just wanted to say that I was completely floored to my my book nominated. Surprised is not strong enough a word to explain how my co-author and I feel. Elated isn't a strong enough word to cover how we feel. We are facing some very, very tough competition, but we're thrilled just to be nominated.

We want to take the opportunity to thank everybody who nominated Cthulhu Invictus (2nd edition) and who will vote for Invictus in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder whether the BGG folks will place a lot of votes on the RPG side. That would tend to favour the big name games, if it's a factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
I wonder whether the BGG folks will place a lot of votes on the RPG side. That would tend to favour the big name games, if it's a factor.

I think if you ask 10 BGGers if they have even heard of RPG Geek you would get 9 looks of confusion

I can't say anything about the voting but will say that big games are at no more or less advantage given the cross section of folks here. In fact, the smaller games seems to have growing ground support (just from watching the Tweets, facebook updates and such) and it's anyone's guess as to which worthy game/products will come out on top.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit of news... We're pleased to now have MicroBadge representation of each of the 10 Game of the Year nominees and Podcast of the Year nominees!

RPG: Game of the Year
mb Diaspora
mb Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space
mb Dragon Age
mb The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game
mb Dungeons & Dragons (4th Edition - Essentials Line)
mb Fiasco
mb Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
mb A Penny for My Thoughts
mb Time & Temp
mb Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (3rd Edition)

RPG: Best Podcast
mb 2d6 Feet in a Random Direction
mb Actual People, Actual Play
mb The Canon Puncture Show
mb Dungeons & Dragons Podcast
mb Fear the Boot
mb Narrative Control
mb Theory From the Closet
mb The Voice of the Revolution
mb The Walking Eye Podcast
mb YSDC: Lovecraftian Media

You can click on any of the microbadges above for the option of purchasing for 8gg and show support for one or more nominees. If you are in any way affiliated with any of the entries above (designer, producer, host of a podcast, etc) please let me know and I'll send the appropriate microbadge your way compliments of the 'Geek.

Other things you can do to show support - click on the main links above and become a fan (which is free - the fan link on any database item is on the right-hand side when you're looking at the entry in our database).

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Epidiah Ravachol
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Good news for those interested in seeing Time & Temp, but want to make sure their money goes to a better cause than me! You can get Time & Temp: Paperless Office Edition along with more than $700-worth of RPG and RPG-related PDFs from DriveThruRPG or RPGNow as part of their Doctors Without Borders Flood Relief Bundle, the proceeds of which go to help the victims of the Pakistani floods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.