The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Star Trader
The Clay That Woke
Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkana
Mecha Mice
Enter the Unknown
Dungeons & Dragons Game (New Simplified Version)
I1: Dwellers of the Forbidden City
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Out of the Abyss
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Box Set
Microscope
Savage Worlds Deluxe Explorer's Edition
Alone Against the Flames
Yoon-Suin
B4: The Lost City
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
DA3: City of the Gods
Baker Street: Roleplaying in the World of Sherlock Holmes
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
DDEN1: Hoard of the Dragon Queen (D&D Encounters)
Pathfinder Unchained
Shadow of the Demon Lord Core Rulebook
Star Wars: Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Fantasy AGE Basic Rulebook
Rise of the Red God
The Black Dwarf
DDEN3: Out of the Abyss (D&D Encounters)
State of Hillsfar
Adventurers League Quickstart Guide for Players
B2: The Keep on the Borderlands
S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying
Traps & Treachery
Traveller
DA2: Temple of the Frog
I3: Pharaoh
Lankhmar: City of Adventure (AD&D 1e)
AC11: The Book of Wondrous Inventions
Advanced Player's Guide
Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space: The Roleplaying Game (10th Doctor)
Fiasco
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 1: Your Story
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 2: Our World
Damage Calls
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
ÜNE
The Covetous Poet's Adventure Creator and Solo GM Guidebook
DDEX1-01: Defiance in Phlan
DayTrippers: Core Rules
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: 2010 RPG GoldenGeeks - And the Winners Are.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Bernazzani (@rpggeek)
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... being announced slowly. See below for an explanation.

2010 RPG Golden Geek Winners!

Best Free Game
Lady Blackbird by John Harper and published by One Seven Design.

Runners Up: Eclipse Phase, 44: A Game of Automatic Fear

Best Podcast
YSDC: Lovecraftian Media

Runners Up: The Walking Eye Podcast, Narrative Control
(see comments below in post #3)

Best Artwork/Presentation
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 1: Your Story
by The Dresden Team and published by Evil Hat Productions.

Runners Up: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set, The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 2: Our World
(see comments below in post #6)

Best Supplement
Cthulhu Invictus (2nd edition) by Chad Bowser, Andi Newton, Deane P. Goodwin and published by Chaosium.

Runners Up: The Burning Wheel: Adventure Burner, Big Damn Heroes Handbook
(see comments below in post #10)

Game of the Year
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game
by The Dresden Team and published by Evil Hat Productions.

Runners Up: Diaspora, Fiasco
(see comments below in post #16)

As winners are announced, feel free to talk about them, blog about them, tweet about them or 'cast about them.

Thanks to all the people who took time to participate in the 2010 RPG Golden Geeks! You can see the original list of nominations here.

If you want to follow the Twitter activity for the RPG side goldengeeks, you can always check here.

In addition, we have Microbadges available to purchase to celebrate the winners. If you are involved with any of these products, let me know and I'll get you the badge assigned for free. If anyone involved with the winning games doesn't have an RPGG/BGG account - feel free to sign up and contact me directly and I'll set you up

mb - Lady Blackbird fan
mb - YSDC: Cthulhu Podcast fan
mb - Dresden Files RPG fan
mb - Cthulhu Invictus fan

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the explanation for why these are being released slowly.

In doing a final wrap-up with Aldie this week on the awards (and seeing the really beautiful and hefty 2010 GoldenGeek medals!) I discovered that I had made a mistake about the announcement date for the 2010 RPG GoldenGeek winners. I had said that the 17th was our notification date - but I had mixed up the start of BGG.con (today) with the actual Geekies award presentation (Saturday). It was Aldies intention that the announcement coincide with the Geekies at BGG.con. I feel badly as we worked very hard to utilize the various social networks to spread the word (quite successfully based on voting and interest!) and this mistake in dates pains me when I see the buzz starting up today looking for the winners. I take full responsibility for this mistake and apologize to the nominees, voters and to Aldie.

Having said that, I'm going to compromise. First of all, I will be contacting all RPG side winners today (so if you don't hear from me today - or your publisher if that's whom I've contacted, you can assume you were a runner-up). In addition, we have five categories and I will be releasing the winner's starting today (best Free Game 2010) and running through Saturday (Game of the Year).

It's not perfect - but neither am I
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A note about the Podcast award. This was the first time a Podcast award has been available on either side of the Geek (BGG may add one next year). I'm probably most proud of having RPG Geek pioneer the podcast category especially as we just got our new Podcast entry system in place about a month before the nomination process (http://rpggeek.com/browse/rpgpodcast). With over 150 amazing RPG podcasts in our system (covering over 7000 individual podcast episodes) there was a lot of high quality stuff to choose from. Narrowing it down to the list of 10 nominations was difficult - and the further selection down to 3 finalists even more so. Although I'm not at liberty to discuss details of voting, I will say that in the final week of voting all three podcasts held the 1st place slot as they jockeyed for position coming down to the wire. It was, by far, the closest vote in the system for the RPG GoldenGeeks.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Maclean
United Kingdom
Innsmouth House
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Wow! Well, fancy that. :O

A huge thank you to everyone who nominated Yog Radio for Best Podcast and for everyone who voted for us.

Yog Radio is the sum of its parts featuring many contributors, and I can very much say a big thank you from us all for this honour.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
July 5th Miramar -Be There!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Paul! The effort you and all the Yoggies have put into the podcast, the RPG sessions, talking books and interviews is greatly appreciated.

Congratulations to all the other finalists. The standard of all of them was very high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose as someone involved in helping organize the GoldenGeeks and present the awards it's not my place to fan-gush over a winner. But I've already stated I'm not perfect so I'm going to anyway

I'm holding in my hands right now The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 1: Your Story (technically the volume that won, but vol 2 was a runner up in the same category) of the Dresden Files RPG. Having just weighed it on a precision scale it comes in at 4 LBS, 0.5 Oz and about 90% of that is pure love in printed form. The sticky notes and scrawling in the margins from Harry, Bob and Billy add to the atmosphere. The key highlighting showcasing important rules or other useful bits of information works well. The worn-looking parchment paper and runes in the margins don't distract from the readability but give it a nice aged look. Top that off with all color artwork throughout. Well earned in yet another category where there were a number of outstanding choices.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way... if anyone cares to see a sneak peek at what the hefty hardware that goes along with this award looks like:

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, let me say congratulations to the winners, both those that have been revealed and those that have yet to learn their fates.

Secondly...

Dave, while you keep apologizing for this as a mistake you made, I am enjoying the daily reveals leading up to the final reveal of Game of the Year. I vote that what may have been seen as a mistake in the beginning be made a permanent idea for future Golden Geek winners.

Some of the best ideas were created by mistake. This one looks like another in that line. ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
belirahc wrote:
I am enjoying the daily reveals leading up to the final reveal of Game of the Year. I vote that what may have been seen as a mistake in the beginning be made a permanent idea for future Golden Geek winners.

I agree -- this is more interesting than having a big info dump all at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter pan
Poland
Warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. That's like 500% of the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For each of the GoldenGeek winners I had the pleasure of contacting the winners directly and give them good news. It was especially great to be able to contact

Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer

for winning Best Supplement with Cthulhu Invictus (2nd edition).

Chad has been one of RPG Geek's early adopters - part of the beta team, part of the group that helps shape the data structure and layout of the database and one of the RPG Geek Hall of Fame members. I love giving good news to good people.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
First, allow me to say, "THANK YOU!"

To be honest, I was surprised when CI was nominated. I was thrilled when it was shortlisted. Now, I am completely flabbergasted. My co-author Andi Newton, feels the exact same way. There was stiff competition every step of the way, and we are both excited, honored and humbled that the gaming community thought so highly of Cthulhu Invictus. Our goal the entire time we were writing was to create something gamers would enjoy. It is awesome beyond words that gamers liked it enough to award it a Golden Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to all the winners. I even nominated two of them, so it's nice to feel useful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
For each of the GoldenGeek winners I had the pleasure of contacting the winners directly and give them good news. It was especially great to be able to contact

Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer

Woot! Congrats Chad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
That's it! Because of this award and this review. I am getting this book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to Fred Hicks, Evil Hat Productions and the entire Dresden Team for their work on The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game. Although Diaspora and Fiasco but up a great fight, in the end there was a ton of support for the Dresden Files RPG. Well earned - hope you guys sell a million copies

All that is left is to send out the GoldenGeek hardware to the winners. I'll pass along all addresses to Aldie for that.

And thus the 2010 RPG GoldenGeek awards pass into history. May there be many more years of awards in the future!

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwashba C
msg tools
mbmb
Woo! Congrats to the Dresden Files. Haven't played it myself but am reading the books so it will happen sometime. Anyway all the contestants were awesome I hope every one of them sells a million copies! Also To the RPGG team I think there should be more categories. It seems a bit bare boned.i do understand it being a new site and all but I hope there is more categories in the Golden Geek 2011!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Murray
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.vsca.ca/Hollowpoint
badge
Hollowpoint is out! Be a bad man.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to Fred and the gang! I'm proud to be a runner up to these guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwashba wrote:
Also To the RPGG team I think there should be more categories.

Our initial draft of the RPG GoldenGeeks had about 10 categories. However, we decided to simplify - the extra categories came with some 'judgment calls' and we didn't want to provide anything that might be divisive for our first time out of the chute with the RPG-side awards.

Take a look at the BGG side and you'll see that for the past few years the 'Best Wargame' category is controversial. What is a Wargame? This year it was SmallWorld which is a great game but has created controversy by the Grognards who wanted to see a more traditional Wargame (rather than what they consider a Euro Strategy game which might be Wargame-lite only by the most loose description). So rather than introduce categories like "Best RPG for one-shots" and "Best RPG for 2P" or "Best RPG for New Players" which is sure to draw lines in the sand that not everyone can agree upon, we decided to have a simple slate of categories. Best podcast - easy to define. Best supplement - no problem. Game of the Year - of course you need this big-boy category! We drew very little controversy with the categories and if they seemed a little vanilla - it was by choice

We'll certainly consider other clear-cut categories for 2011 if the parent site deems RPG-side awards viable. There is a cost associated with the awards both in terms of coding, promotion and the actual hardware (about $50 per GoldenGeek plus cost of shipping and we give out extras to Publishers, etc). I think the RPG admins, voters, nominees and now winners have all done a great job in spreading the word and being genuinely excited about the 2010 RPG GoldenGeeks and I'm very proud of every aspect of the awards. It's now in the hands of the site owners to determine if there will be 2011 RPG GoldenGeeks. I think we've done such an amazing job here that I'd be hard pressed to believe this won't continue for many years into the future.

But showing public excitement for the award won't hurt - so feel free to post here

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh Slipperboy

Allen Park
Michigan
msg tools
admin
Wouldn't want to disappoint Frumpish...
mbmbmb
I suspected Dresden files would do pretty well. I don't have a copy yet but not for lack of trying.

I'm trying to buy it at my FLGS but they never seem to keep it in stock; the owner says it lasts a day, maybe two when they get it. Last night I finally broke down and prepaid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
you are being watched
badge
I am EVIL, do not try to change my alignment
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:

Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer

Chad has been one of RPG Geek's early adopters - part of the beta team, part of the group that helps shape the data structure and layout of the database and one of the RPG Geek Hall of Fame members. I love giving good news to good people.

-Dave

Congrats! Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations everyone. Well done you all. And Dave, thank you for an wonderful Golden Geek Awards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
karlkrlarsson wrote:
That's it! Because of this award and this review. I am getting this book!

I said I would:

And I did!
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my... CONGRATS TO THE WINNERS! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

How to choose between the Dresden files and Cthulhu Invictus??? cry

I want BOTH!

There is something rotten in Denmark...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the end, I will go for Cthulhu Invictus.

I had to renounce to undead t-rexes, but I gained a Cthulhu for Emperor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.