Savage Worlds Deluxe Explorer's Edition
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
The Darkening of Mirkwood
Enemies Within
Mutant: Year Zero Core Book
Iron Falcon
Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game
Trail of Cthulhu
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Microscope
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Aboard the Death Ship
Guide to Glorantha (Two Volume Set)
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Designers & Dragons: The 70s
Monster Kart Mayhem
Ruins of the North
Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game
Feng Shui 2
All Flesh Must Be Eaten Revised Edition
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
Ghostbusters
T1-4: The Temple of Elemental Evil
Dungeons & Dragons Set 1: Basic Rules
The Esoterrorists
Clanbook: Tzimisce (1st Edition)
The Enemy Within
Necropolis 2350
Munchkin Master's Guide
Beyond the Mountains of Madness
Mythic
Mythic Game Master Emulator
HeroQuest Core Rules Book
Planes of Conflict
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
54 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: RPG Geek of the Week #52: Jasper (jaspermeer) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmbmbmbmb
...and isn't that what we all love about Jasper? His Tourette Syndrome...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korvettenkapitän Jasper Aurelius van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Until RPGgeek, I knew no Belgians. Now, my estimation of the entire country has grown to the point where I'd love living there! Thanks, Wouter!

Kwakkie wrote:
What is your favorite system? And is there anything you've changed / house ruled?
I've a soft spot for The Shab Al-Hiri Roach since it possessed me and drove me back to RPGs like a dog. As far as systems go, it's a crude prototype of Fiasco (using pre-established relationships between characters, a token/reward mechanic, and random draws that force drama.) It's a scattered mess, but the theme is hilariously awesome. I'm sure there are ways to fix it (like writing a Pemberton University playset for Fiasco,) yet we don't bother. Its loosely scripted comedy and horror outshine the largely superfluous game mechanics.

Quote:
bag What is your favorite setting? And if it doesn't share your favorite system, how would you combine both to make your favorite game?
Hard-boiled/noir settings incorporating magical realism give both a gritty and fantastic feel to stories. Haruki Murakami's Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World has this; as an author, he talks about the strong influence Raymond Chandler had on his writing. Murakami channels Chandler well, then tops that style with these bubbly, anime-like fantasies. Trail of Cthulhu can handle this type of setting, but so can Mortal Coil.

Quote:
bacon There has to be a Dutch connection with a name like that, what gives?
Yes, I'm mostly descended from Dutch immigrants, but also a healthy blend of Anglo-Gaelic-Native American mutts, too. According to our dead, bellicose President Teddy Roosevelt, this make me 100% American. Being a Nederlander wouldn't be so bad; they make excellent pirates!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Being a Nederlander wouldn't be so bad; they make excellent pirates!

They make terrible ninjas though.

So pirates vs ninjas, who will win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jasper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, all that Magical realism, you must be a Gaiman fan, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
Ninjas on land, but pirates at sea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
If you have some sanity left...
badge
...come and join me in the tavern I buy you a mug of beer.
mbmbmb
jaspermeer wrote:
Being a Nederlander wouldn't be so bad; they make excellent pirates!

Actually Belgians weren't either, it where belgian pirates (kapers) who killed one of hollands most famed captains: Piet Hein in a sea battle. (but we actually still lost the entire fight)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hida Mann wrote:
So, all that Magical realism, you must be a Gaiman fan, right?
I'm not a huge Gaiman fan. The American Gods'party at The House on the Rock sounds like it was brilliant, however. That's definitely something I could be a fan of!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
jaspermeer wrote:
Kwakkie wrote:
Ninjas on land, but pirates at sea...

Give it a try: Pirates Versus Ninjas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Actually Belgians weren't either, it where belgian pirates (kapers) who killed one of hollands most famed captains: Piet Hein in a sea battle. (but we actually still lost the entire fight)

You're not just a dwarf, but a pirate as well?!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
yeah, but to be honest, I have seasickness, I have to stay on deck the whole time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Cox
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
I bought this Overtext just to say I have an UberBadge and I'm not using it
badge
Dance like no one is trying to sleep in the next room
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Jasper!

Now, questions!

d10-1 By some freakish chance, you find out you are going to be stranded on some strange island with three to five gamers of your choice. You even have enough time to grab a game. What game do you take knowing you didn't have time to grab dice/cards/randomizers?

d10-2 Someone's stolen your pony bondage gear! How do you ensure your "pet" is sufficiently humiliated/inconvenienced without props?

d10-3 The Lorax is sick. How do you convince the Once-ler to give up his last seed?

d10-4 You've perfected time travel, at least to the point where when you jump through time you can also move through space and you'll end up where the earth happens to be at the time you've selected. What time do you go to, why, and how do you deal with potential language problems and the fact that your immunities to disease will probably be different from theirs?

d10-5 What role-playing rule would you love to have access to in real life (i.e. having a 1 in 20 chance of succeeding at anything in D20 games, or being able to perform one skill enough that you improve in an unrelated skill like with experience points?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
October 23-25, 2015
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats sir!

mintcamel As a GM how many times have you used the cliche of starting a campaign in a tavern? And if you never have, how often as a player have you been placed in a tavern at the start of a campaign?

limecamel When creating a new character do you intentionally design mechanical weaknesses, or do you try to reduce mechanical weaknesses in your character? And the same question except for character flaws, (non-mechanical)?

grapecamel Describe the session in your life in which you had to make the most characters due to deaths. And, as GM, the session in which you killed the most characters.

lemoncamel Are you more willing to work 'outside the box' when designing characters for a Play-by-Post game vs a tabletop game?

orangecamel Why must you always hit on the NPC bar wench in every tavern your character ever visits? Don't try to cover it up either.

goldencamel Have you ever built a character to intentionally break the rules just to prove a point? If yes, what was the point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarge in charge!
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
Why should I fret in microcosmic bonds / That chafe the spirit, and the mind repress / When through the clouds gleam beckoning beyonds / Whose shining vistas mock man's littleness?
mbmbmbmb
Okay, Herr Flottenkapitän Jasper, here's some more questions for you. Enjoy.

What's the weirdest...

...game (board or rpg) you've ever played?
...rpg setting you'd like to visit yourself?
...name you ever created for a PC or NPC?
...rpg character you've created?
...character death (or moment you had to kill a PC) you recall?
...rpg experience you've had?
...object (in-game or prop) you've ever created for an rpg?
...book you've read?
...rulebook or sourcebook in your opinion?
...food you've eaten?
...drink you've encountered?
...place you've visited?
...piece of clothes you have?
...person you've met?
...thing you possess?
...song you've ever heard?
...dream you've ever had?
...TV series / movie you've seen?
...alien creature from any media in your opinion and why?
...question anyone has ever asked you?

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Sean!
dumwytgi wrote:
d10-1 By some freakish chance, you find out you are going to be stranded on some strange island with three to five gamers of your choice. You even have enough time to grab a game. What game do you take knowing you didn't have time to grab dice/cards/randomizers?
What’s my whittling or carving skill? Oh, I guess I can’t make a skill roll for crafting my own dice if I don’t have dice in the first. Mortal Coil popped to mind.

Quote:
d10-2 Someone's stolen your pony bondage gear! How do you ensure your "pet" is sufficiently humiliated/inconvenienced without props?
Sean, you and Leonie should never worry about this. Gallant charioteer that I am, if there are no toys for playing pony, then I’ll improvise with bicycle tire tubes and an old U-lock. Wow, are the presta valves gonna hurt...

Quote:
d10-3 The Lorax is sick. How do you convince the Once-ler to give up his last seed?
Our planet gained nearly a billion people in the last decade and the Once-ler is a multi-national corporation without a face. For environmentalists, their fight is largely existential.

Quote:
d10-4 You've perfected time travel, at least to the point where when you jump through time you can also move through space and you'll end up where the earth happens to be at the time you've selected. What time do you go to, why, and how do you deal with potential language problems and the fact that your immunities to disease will probably be different from theirs?
I’d like to believe the future will be better, so I’d skip forward (if forward even means anything; I gave meine Partnerin How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu and she reports there is no forward or backward.) In the future, language could be less of a problem than technological interface.

Quote:
d10-5 What role-playing rule would you love to have access to in real life (i.e. having a 1 in 20 chance of succeeding at anything in D20 games, or being able to perform one skill enough that you improve in an unrelated skill like with experience points?)
Reincarnation after death into a pre-generated hero who’s ready to fight. I like the idea that there’s no way out but into another character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks, Peter. These questions have stretched me a bit. Let’s see if I can answer this list in under 10 minutes, starting.... NOW!
Astinex wrote:
mintcamel As a GM how many times have you used the cliche of starting a campaign in a tavern? And if you never have, how often as a player have you been placed in a tavern at the start of a campaign?
More than once, but less than fifty. In the Cyberpunk days of yore, our characters would almost always start in a bar called “BAR.” No matter who GM’d. The place was a OSB-board shack periodically spray-painted red to cover last year’s wallpaper of band fliers. The glossy, flaking wall gave the impression of a scab. Furnishing were salvaged from the jetsam of failed 20th Century fast food restaurants.

Quote:
limecamel When creating a new character do you intentionally design mechanical weaknesses, or do you try to reduce mechanical weaknesses in your character? And the same question except for character flaws, (non-mechanical)?
You’re on to something when you parse out mechanical weakness and non-mechanical character flaws in characters: it’s revealing as to what we want from a game as players. I’m guilty of making average characters with one or two shining stats, which is probably a holdover from class-based systems. Character flaws or merits are sometimes a bit hyperbolic and overacted, which is a habit from gamemastering and playing multiple NPCs (this helps players grab a handle on whom you’re playing at the moment and helps GMs develop multiple personality disorder.)

Quote:
grapecamel Describe the session in your life in which you had to make the most characters due to deaths. And, as GM, the session in which you killed the most characters.
Any game of Paranoia. One scenario, characters were investigating a homicide in Alpha Complex’s Soyent Green factory. One character sampled a wafer and was summarily executed for nibbling above his security clearance (which was Orange, so “My next clone is sticking with syntha-citrus!” Really? That comes in Orange, lemon, and lime, Traitor...)

Quote:
lemoncamel Are you more willing to work 'outside the box' when designing characters for a Play-by-Post game vs a tabletop game?
I’m terrible at Play-by-Post and Play-by-Mail. Reading the people at the table is important to my style of play. So, if you’ve outside the box ideas to improve how I play in this media, please drop’em here!

Quote:
orangecamel Why must you always hit on the NPC bar wench in every tavern your character ever visits? Don't try to cover it up either.
To make the secretly gender-confused dungeon master uncomfortable. (”Oh no, we gotta role play this. I scored a critical success on my charisma roll!”)

Quote:
goldencamel Have you ever built a character to intentionally break the rules just to prove a point? If yes, what was the point?
Unintentionally, yes. An NPC named Sage Earthwrath was a Child of Gaia Ahroun who broke the sterotype of her tribe. I’d described her as a tall, thin model type for labels on organic products at overpriced health store, but she radiated agitation like a swarm of bees. She was loaded with rage and gnosis, plus tweaked out with Lunar Armor and a bunch of Ahroun combat gifts. I gave away the NPC to a player who played the character in another game. The NPC turned out to be a munchkin monster...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
G'Day Jasper,

I try to remember to ask each RPG Geek of the Week the following Role Playing related questions even though sometimes they may have already been answered in your intro or earlier questions.

d10-1 What was your first RPG?
d10-2 What was your second RPG?
d10-3 Player, GM or both?
d10-4 Do you have a favourite die? e.g. d4, d12 etc.
d10-5 Do you have a preferred group size?
d10-6 If you have been involved in a campaign, what's the longest running one you have played in or run?
d10-7 Minis for combat?
d10-8 What other types (e.g. board, miniature etc.) of games do you play?
d10-9 Have you found a use for d30s other than rolling the day of the month on four months of the year?
d10-1d10-0 Have you ever role played at a convention?
d10-1d10-1 Tell us about your most memorable character death or exit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heute segeln Sie auf der Argo. Am Morgen treffen wir uns Herrlichkeit.

Engoduun wrote:
What's the weirdest...

Quote:
...game (board or rpg) you've ever played?

Khet: The Laser Game might seem a mundane choice, but the gimmicky laser made me feel like Buck Rogers.

Quote:
...rpg setting you'd like to visit yourself?

Lacuna Part I. The Creation of the Mystery and the Girl from Blue City (Second Attempt)

Quote:
...name you ever created for a PC or NPC?

One Ton the Wanton, gigolo of great girth

Quote:
...rpg character you've created?

A sentient plant called a custard cup; like its name suggests, it had a modified leaf forming a cup-like appendage. This was filled with a volume of a yellow, snot-like substance that form a highly articulate pseudopod, which it used to write thoughtful and insightful notes to PCs.

Quote:
...character death (or moment you had to kill a PC) you recall?

Lyophilization in a Delta Green game.

Quote:
...rpg experience you've had?

Storytelling while soaking in the hot springs of the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness: we'd backpacked all day. The total darkness in the woods, the glowing milky way caught in the branches, and the hot water combined to blur the lines.

Quote:
...object (in-game or prop) you've ever created for an rpg?

...was probably entered into this wonderful data base: Project Nemesis Greenbox Generator. Roll d6 and pick one:
1 A 55 gallon drum marked as "Formulaid" along with the Martek Biosciences corporate logo. The drum contains two essential polyunsaturated fatty acids: DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and ARA (arachidonic acid). These two fatty acids are linked to mental and visual development in infants. Someone has drawn a cartoon in chalk on the top of the drum. It depicts a brain with a giant eyeball and toothy maw. Eyestalks sprout from the top. "Beholder Breakfast!" is written underneath.
2 A 20cm by 20cm chapbook of excellent cotton paper stitched at the spine with catgut. It's a personal journal kept by noted Russian artist Olga Vladimirovna Rozanova of the Supremus school of painters. She painted the text in water color, rather than write longhand. Her Cubist/Russian Futurist-like paintings of flattened dimensions illuminate the text. Of note, an entry from 13 October 1913: "Sleepless, four days: men of many pale colors and flat shapes stalk me along edges of buildings, rooms, anywhere with straight lines, corners. Sense them at edge of vision. If my head were clear glass, I could see them. Alexi and Velimir mock me, play at my fear with their cruel nonsense poems." Paintings of sharp anthromorphic masses emerging from pub scenes accompany this entry.
3A refrigerator with a freezer unit. It contains frosted tumblers and an oddly large quantity of ingredients for the following recipes, which are written in dry-erase marker on the front of the 'fridge... CTHULHU SOURS: 1/2 cup Amaretto, 1 cup Key Lime simple syrup mixer, juice of one orange, juice of half a lime, juice of half a meyer lemon. MI-GO-a-GO-GO PUNCH: 1/2cup blueberry sorbet, 1/2cup vanilla ice cream, 1/2cup blueberry soda, 1cup champagne.
4 A can of Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup that looks just like it was taken out of an Andy Warhol print. The fine print describing the ingredients and nutrition information has been replaced with the following quote from Angela Carter's The Infernal Desire Machines of Doctor Hoffman:"A social structure is the greatest of all the works of art that man can make. Like the greatest art, it is perfectly symmetric. It has the architectonic structure of music, a symmetry imposed upon it in order to resolve a play of tensions which would disrupt order but without which order is lifeless." If prepared as usual, then the soup is homogenized heaven from a can and anyone partaking of it regains a single hit point, magic point, and sanity point.
5 The folded-up arm of a mellified man packed in a 1960s vintage Tupperware tub filled with honey. "OCT-1899" is penned on the lid. A typed note lay on top of the container: "...In Arabia there are men 70 to 80 years old who are willing to give their bodies to save others. The subject does not eat food, he only bathes and partakes of honey. After a month he only excretes honey (until his urine and feces is nothing but honey) and death follows. His fellows place him in a stone coffin full of honey in which he macerates. The date is put upon the coffin. After one hundred years the seals are removed. A confection is formed which is used for the treatment of broken and wounded limbs. A small amount taken internally will immediately cure the complaint."
6 A neon green, drawstring catalog envelope with the Japan Air Self Defense Force and the Hamamatsu Airborne Early Warning Group logos. The envelope has been sealed with tape bearing a bar code and caution that special permission from the Minister of Defense is required to open it. The contents include both the original shorthand flight log and transcription copies of a Boeing E-767 with an E-3 mission package flying into the North Pacific on 4 December 2005, 1250 Zulu time. The Intelligence Officer reports the cabin filled with purple light for two minutes and he felt the urge to open the bay door to attempt to fly away, an urge his crew mates shared and one attempted to act upon. Post-flight medical examinations and quarantine observation of the crew show each member reporting the ability to see "strange contours" and "glow" of varying intensity around them. An MRI caused the captain have a seizure. Eventual consultation with a foreign ornithologist, Dr. Dominik Heyers from the University of Oldenburg, determined the crew members had developed physical and biochemical features akin to migratory birds: they could see electromagnetic fields. And all felt the pull to travel south.

Quote:
...book you've read?

Venusia: A True Story by Mark von Schlegell. "There, in his dreams, beneath the shadow of a trident with a tongue-shaped center prong, the angry little man had finally managed to grow taller than the monsters attacking him."

Quote:
...rulebook or sourcebook in your opinion?

Buttery Wholesomeness

Quote:
...food you've eaten?

Bugs and grubs?

Quote:
...drink you've encountered?

Cashew fruit juice

Quote:
...place you've visited?

Was Berlin after almost a month in India.

Quote:
...piece of clothes you have?

My fez

Quote:
...person you've met?

David Crellin/Armitage Shanks,

Quote:
...thing you possess?

A letter opener carved from camel bone?

Quote:
...song you've ever heard?

Any Circus Contraption or Figli di Madre Ignota songs

Quote:
...dream you've ever had?

... Inspired my first internet handle back in 1995.

Quote:
...TV series / movie you've seen?

Dune

Quote:
...alien creature from any media in your opinion and why?

Solaris, because it truly is alien.

Quote:
...question anyone has ever asked you?

I can't really judge; I give many odd answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh Slipperboy

Allen Park
Michigan
msg tools
Wouldn't want to disappoint Frumpish...
mbmbmb
Congratulations. I almost fear asking my usual questions:

A What's the most dramatic moment you've ever experienced as a gamemaster?

B What's the most dramatic moment you've ever experienced as a player?

C Ever been mad enough to leave mid-session?

D Ever made someone mad enough that they left mid-session?

E Ever cried at the table about an in-game event?

F Ever made someone else cry at the table about an in-game event?

G What are some of your other hobbies?

H Besides kids (if you have any), what's your greatest non-RPG related creation (note that creation is intended to encompass a broad range here)?

I Do you use the Quickbar and if you do, what's on your first page of links?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers, Fraser!

Karlsen wrote:
G'Day Jasper, I try to remember to ask each RPG Geek of the Week the following Role Playing related questions even though sometimes they may have already been answered in your intro or earlier questions.

No worries, this thread's longer than I'd bother reading, really.

Quote:
d10-1 What was your first RPG?

Dungeons & Dragons Set 1: Basic Rules

Quote:
d10-2 What was your second RPG?

Paranoia

Quote:
d10-3 Player, GM or both?

Yes, both at once.

Quote:
d10-4 Do you have a favourite die? e.g. d4, d12 etc.

d4 are the most underutilized dice, ever. This is attributable to difficulties in rolling them, but I've modified a blender as a dice tumbler and had good results...

Quote:
d10-5 Do you have a preferred group size?

Smaller is better. Four or three players for a GMless game, and two or three players plus a GM otherwise. It's a bit like improvisational theater, this way. Too many players muddle drama/comedy and the GM becomes more of a director than a facilitator of play.

Quote:
d10-6 If you have been involved in a campaign, what's the longest running one you have played in or run?

A Changeling: The Dreaming (1st Edition) campaign ran roughly two years.

Quote:
d10-7 Minis for combat?

For large parties, yes. (See preferred group size above.)

Quote:
d10-8 What other types (e.g. board, miniature etc.) of games do you play?

Board games are great, and I play them more regularly than RPGs.

Quote:
d10-9 Have you found a use for d30s other than rolling the day of the month on four months of the year?

Hamster chew toy?

Quote:
d10-1d10-0 Have you ever role played at a convention?

Yes. My LARPing experience was bad, but LARPing at conventions was worse. Tabletop gaming was better. Ultimately, role-playing with friends is the way to go. Who's at the table with you matters when it comes to having a good time role-playing.

Quote:
d10-1d10-1 Tell us about your most memorable character death or exit
Lyophilization in a Delta Green game: Mi-Go freeze dried an agent alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
Congratulations.  I almost fear asking my usual questions.

Almost fear? Really, Steve... I know where you live, man!
Quote:
A What's the most dramatic moment you've ever experienced as a gamemaster?
Was in middle school, which in and of itself is the mother of great drama. A friend of mine and I were playing WFRP first edition. He was running an Elven wardancer with a larcenous streak (the Career path was a bit curvy given his switch from sylvan defender to urban cat burgler.) By this point, he'd beat down a number of gobos, orcs, beastmen, skaven, and Red Redemption chaos monks. Cocksure, he rushed a warren of gobo champions observed on the sly as "...well-equipped, scarred, and very fit. Their weapons are dwarven and seem in excellent condition." After a desperate fight and flight, he slipped into a well to hide, where he bled out and died. The moral of this story was: always have one Fate Point left to spend.
The combat was really dramatic. It became obvious very early in the scrap that the character was being mobbed by skilled fighters.

Quote:
B What's the most dramatic moment you've ever experienced as a player?
Was spent roleplaying in the the wilds of Idaho. The game was mostly unstrcutured, non-system storytelling, but role-playing within the primordial forest is improved by hiking and camping in the primordial forest...

Quote:
C Ever been mad enough to leave mid-session?

Bored enough, but never mad enough. (see below)

Quote:
D Ever made someone mad enough that they left mid-session?

No. I try to engage players as another player, not as Lord of the Keep. Not to keep harping on it, but the players with whom I've played are good folks. It's just not the way they play. I'd like to think soliciting feedback after the game's over for the evening helps, too. Everybody has a chance to discuss what worked and what didn't for them.

Quote:
E Ever cried at the table about an in-game event?

No. The rednecks of my Southern homeland would have eaten me alive were I wired this way.

Quote:
F Ever made someone else cry at the table about an in-game event?

Yes. Once. It was at a con, playing with strangers in the Forgotten Realms Living Cities Campaign. I'd made the error of creating a Choatic Neutral halfing who would bully human children by flailing them with his sling. When said insta-character tried to intimidate a few urchins for information, this resulted in a howl of "YOU CAN'T DO THAT! WHAT ALIGNMENT ARE YOU?!?!" Real tears were shed, people. I explained the character was CN, and was sharply informed this alignment was proscribed in Living Cities. In my defense, I was instructed "no evil alignments were allowed." That's not the defense I used at the table, unfortunately. Instead, I baited Mr. Unstable with "Hey! My character is picking on people his own size!" This early 20-something fellow, probably my own age at the time, swelled up in horrible purple and red colors.

They needed a minimum number of people to play a sanctioned game, so I offered to take walk, then never returned. Another awkward player laid down a little guilt later at the con. He glared and said "You character sheet's still at the table. You never came back to play."

This kinda fixed it in my head that gaming with strangers none of your friends have countenanced is a bad idea.

Quote:
G What are some of your other hobbies?

Bicycling, running, reading, writing, volunteering with environmental service NGOs, and
numerous academic interests.

Quote:
H Besides kids (if you have any), what's your greatest non-RPG related creation (note that creation is intended to encompass a broad range here)?

Probably the home I've created with meine Partnerin over the last nine years. She suffers many of my antics and even sees glimmers of charm in them at times. She's amazing and is owed much of the credit for our happy home.

Quote:
I Do you use the Quickbar and if you do, what's on your first page of links?

Ack. Only the ghostly link of an Agon game I was running, but discovered wasn't well suited to Play by Forum. Since I've had one gentle reminder recently to pick it back up in 2011, I might retool it with a better system. Perhaps Mazes and Minotaurs, or another old school clone. A less complicated system might serve better. Also, I'll have to lay down time limits for turns (72 hours?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's almost time to hand off the torch. Last night, I picked ten geeks with whom I'd like to be better acquainted. Per the rules, they weren't from my home country. Then, meine Partnerin rolled d10 and checked the list.

My question now is: how long should one wait for a reply before rolling to hit another character with the magic Geek of the Week Sword?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Our dear mr_lunch has had the new responsibilities of fatherhood thrust 'pon him in the past year, which means our resident mummy-daddy has his hands well and verily full.

So, let's roll and check against the critical geek table to see whom the magic Geek of the Week Sword will next strike!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Singleton
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh. whoops. I caught this just in time to see it end.

Grats sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Teak! Thanks!

Ok, the great Geek of the Week quest continues...
Richard
Greece
Marousi
Athens
flag msg tools
Game on!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Richard declined, which is awful. Richard always thumbs my dumb jokes and seems to be a fellow of good cheer. Plus, our Geek of the Week list lacks any Greeks as winners of the award. How good can the award be without any Greeks having won it, I ask y'all?

Ahhhhhh... But I believe I've found a winner. I'm pleased with the choice handed down from the very gods of RPGs. Next week's to be a lark...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.