A Red & Pleasant Land
Star Wars: Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkana
The End of the World: Wrath of the Gods
Far Trek
Fantasy AGE Basic Rulebook
Microscope
The Keepers of the Woods
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse
Deluxe Tunnels & Trolls
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
DDEX1-01: Defiance in Phlan
Béthorm
Wide World of 77
The Lone Wolf Adventure Game
Microscope Explorer
The Barreville Flap
Star Frontiers
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Delta Green
PHBR1: The Complete Fighter's Handbook
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Mythologies
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple
RuneQuest Sixth Edition
Terrors of the Secret War
Shadowrun RPG 5th Edition Core Rulebook
Hillfolk
Whitehack
The Darkening of Mirkwood
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
AMP: Year One
Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game
Mutant: Year Zero Core Book
Princes of the Apocalypse
HeroQuest Glorantha
Spirit of 77
Ghosts in the Black
Star Wars: Force and Destiny Game Master's Kit
Cthulhu Dark Ages: Second Edition
Players Handbook (AD&D 1e)
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Monster Manual (AD&D 1e)
H1: Keep on the Shadowfell
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1750 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [70] | 

RPG» Forums » Community » The Tavern

Subject: What is the last novel you read? And what are you going to read next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just finished the first book of The Morningstar Strain. IT started out real good, but ended up being really silly. I don't think I'm going to pick up the sequel.

I've started reading a book called "Zombies for Zombies"

So far, it's been great fun (about 1/5th of the way through, I think.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished my first (fiction) book in a LONG time... The Drawing of the Dark by Tim Powers

It was just okay. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it.

So, oddly enough, I'm going to read Tim Powers' On Stranger Tides next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cooksey
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
I'm on a podcast! - www.playontarget.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim Powers is really hit or miss with me. I loved Drawing of the Dark and The Anubis Gates. Last Call was excellent but I couldn't finish Earthquake Weather or Dinner At Deviant's Palace. I haven't read Stranger Tides yet but I've heard good things about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Re: What is the last novel you read? And what are you going to read next?
Powers is an acquired taste. The only book of his that I liked was Declare. It was a good mix of mythology and alternate history.

As for literary progress, I've finished the LeCarre and moved on to John Connolly's Black Angel. It's not high art, but it is a good beach read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lowe
United Kingdom
Waterlooville
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished "The Last Watch" a couple of weeks ago. Started reading "The Windup Girl".. This is also the first book I'm reading on my kindle. The books not pulled me in yet (on chapter 6), not sure if the fact its not on paper has any bearing on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
richlowe32 wrote:
I finished "The Last Watch" a couple of weeks ago. Started reading "The Windup Girl".. This is also the first book I'm reading on my kindle. The books not pulled me in yet (on chapter 6), not sure if the fact its not on paper has any bearing on this.

I read The Windup Girl last year. I wouldn't blame the format. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill C.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm reading the Dresden series by Jim butcher. My sister recommended them to me. First couple of books are a bit heavy handed in writing style, but I've enjoyed 3-6 (hooray for spring break!) and I'm on book seven currently. I hope to finish them all before school starts back on Monday.

I loved Many Waters and reread that series just last year or so. Great books! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paz AKA Matt Lewis
United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Finished GMing the Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder Adventure Path at Chester Games Club!
badge
Badger badger badger
mbmbmbmbmb
The last book I read was The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks, which was for my monthly book group. I left it to the last minute, so ended up reading the last 330 pages the night before; I wouldn't recommend doing this. The book was OK, but had a few problems; those with more experience of his writing confirmed that this wasn't one of his best.

My next book will be The Ladies of Grace Adieu, Susanna Clarke's follow-up to Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korvettenkapitän Jasper Aurelius van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While re-reading Fitzgerald's translation of The Odyssey, I'm reading this as a companion book:

Here's a review from Bookpeople Bookstore in Austin, Texas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Lincoln
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wish people would state the author as well as the title. There are far too many titles without authors. Including both would help a great deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
Paolo Robino wrote:
So, I bought The Blade Itself, and I admit that I'm liking it so far.

That's on my list. Let us know what you think when your done Paolo!

Finished, at last. What can I say:
- it is too long. I've read it on the Kindle, so I don't know how many pages it's long, but it's long;
- it is well written. I liked the down-to-earth writing style, and the occasional f-bomb in a fantasy context sounded strange but interesting to me;
- it does have a couple of interesting characters – Inquisitor Glokta, Logen Ninefingers – and half a dozen of not-so-interesting ones;
- it does have a climax – the first half of it. Two thirds into the book, it was clear that the climax was not there anymore, new characters were introduced, things happened and piled on other things and nothing was being resolved. The end of the book came, but no end was in sight. I knew it was a series, but I was expecting some kind of conclusion to the story narrated this far.

At the end of the book there was a preview of the next in the series, but it was not enough to get me interested in continuing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Williams
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
www.ormistonwhisky.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I have just finished Makers by Cory Doctorow which was a good read. I recently read Down and Out In The Magic Kingdom by him as well, which I actually thought was the better of the two.

Currently half way through Surface Detail by Iain M. Banks. His latest Culture novel and looks good so far, waiting to see how all the strands eventually fit together. I have real everything he has written so far. A master storyteller.

After that, the next book in the pile is Un Lun Dun by China Mieville. Read The City And The City a few months back and looking forward to reading this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A
United States
USA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished Acacia by David Anthony Durham
Pretty decent Fantasy book. I don't read too much fantasy because of a lot of it is poorly written. This one would make a good homebrew world setting.

I am now reading Heart of Darkness by Conrad
I think that story is ripe to adapt to a quest for an RPG. I was thinking the PCs would travel on a boat and be attacked along the way by savages/have skill challenges getting the boat unstuck etc. On their way to finding a man they didn't know was mad until they got there.

I will read Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin next. I haven't read them yet and the first one was really good looking forward to the HBO show. 15 in sneak preview APR 3 then season starts APR 15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Menzel
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Missed it by that much ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Brichs wrote:
I've just finished the first book of The Morningstar Strain. IT started out real good, but ended up being really silly. I don't think I'm going to pick up the sequel.

I've started reading a book called "Zombies for Zombies"

So far, it's been great fun (about 1/5th of the way through, I think.).

Probably a good idea to stop the Morningstar Strain, cuz the author died after finishing the second book, so you would get left with no resolution.

My latest book was The Child Thief by Brom, an interesting take on Peter Pan. Next book is March Up Country by David Webber and John Ringo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thea_bomb wrote:
I am now reading Heart of Darkness by Conrad
I think that story is ripe to adapt to a quest for an RPG. I was thinking the PCs would travel on a boat and be attacked along the way by savages/have skill challenges getting the boat unstuck etc. On their way to finding a man they didn't know was mad until they got there.

Heh. Almost any homebrew RPG adventure I wrote back in my early days was a variation on Apocalypse Now!. I still have in my hard drive a lot of notes for this adventure for Heavy Gear, still un-played, in which the PCs must get deep into the jungle, traveling upstream on the river, to find a (mad) warlord and get his support for the ongoing conflict – either that or, I guess, "terminate him with extreme prejudice".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
I'm finishing up Hive by Tim Curran. I'd recommend you just stay away. It might have been a good short story, but instead the author fills the book with a predictable plot, horrible pacing, pages of tepid description, and a character who might as well be named Mary Sue.

Next up, it'll either be Master and the Margarita by Bulgakov, Drood by Dan Simmons, or Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last book I completed was The Swarm by Frank Schätzing. I am currently reading Judas Unchained by Peter Hamilton simultaneously with The DaVinci Fraud (non-fiction) by Robert M. Price. Not sure where I’m going from there. I have about 15 books in my “to-read” pile and additions seem to come faster than I finish books that are already in the pile.

Judas Unchained is long and fairly heavy SF, so I’ll probably pick something lighter for my next book. Probably the next Dresden Files book (which is White Night for me). After that, I have the first two books in Hamilton's follow-up trilogy to Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained also ready to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
mbmbmbmbmb
cjbowser wrote:
Powers is an acquired taste. The only book of his that I liked was Declare. It was a good mix of mythology and alternate history.

As for literary progress, I've finished the LeCarre and moved on to John Connolly's Black Angel. It's not high art, but it is a good beach read.

I have Declare in my to-be-read pile.. maybe I should move it closer to the top..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
mbmbmbmbmb
PowerTrader wrote:
After that, the next book in the pile is Un Lun Dun by China Mieville. Read The City And The City a few months back and looking forward to reading this one.

Also on my to-be-read list.. should I read the other one you mentioned The City And The City first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Williams
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
www.ormistonwhisky.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Valkerie32 wrote:
PowerTrader wrote:

Also on my to-be-read list.. should I read the other one you mentioned The City And The City first?

I don't think it matters which order you read them, they are not linked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natural born viking
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in to Warhammer novels for the moment.

Finished Felix & Gotrek Zombieslayer earlier this week.

Now reading the third book in the Genevieve series, Beasts in velvet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this thread went stale! zombie

I read a book on vacation though... which is a rare thing these days, so I'm resurrecting the thread.

Fool Moon (Dresden Files Book 2) by Jim Butcher

I know that The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game has tons of spoilers in it, so I wanted to see if I really wanted to be spoiled or not. I'm still not sure. I fall into the camp that (at least the first two books) Dresden is no better than modern day pulp. I don't think the books are technically good, but... It's what I wanted for vacation reading, and I actually finished it.

I may go on to Book 3... or I might try The Blade Itself by Abercrombie (which I bought before the review in this thread)... or by the time I make a decision it might be time for GRRM's A Dance with Dragons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cooksey
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
I'm on a podcast! - www.playontarget.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started the latest novel in The Laundry series, The Fuller Memorandum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got two books on the go.

Audiobook: A Clash of Kings (Two chapters to go); will follow it up with A Storm of Swords.

Physical: Fallen Angels (Mike Lee); I listened to A Thousand Sons on audiobook, so I think I'm going to jump to Nemesis (James Swallow) next, though, I am thinking I might switch to Transfer of Power by Vince Flynn.

Then, on top of that, any RPG books that I consume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Koene
United States
New Holstein
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got a Kindle for Father's Day and the first book I put on it is A Game of Thrones. Over half way done with it and plan on getting all the other books in the series as well.

Yes I know I am late coming to this party....whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [70] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.