The Edge of Night
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Box Set
Microscope
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
The Achilus Assault
Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying: Basic Game
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Kingdom
Call of Cthulhu (7th Edition)
Guide to Glorantha (Two Volume Set)
East Texas University
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
Designers & Dragons: The 70s
Fifth Edition Fantasy #2: The Fey Sisters' Fate
Monster Kart Mayhem
Occult Adventures
A Red & Pleasant Land
Mutant: Year Zero Card Deck
Smuggler's Guide to the Rim
Feng Shui 2
Inner Sea Monster Codex
All Flesh Must Be Eaten Revised Edition
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Dave Bernazzani (@rpggeek)
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of our lofty RPGG 2011 Goals is to have 35000 Articles in the database by the end of the year. This would make us the largest searchable index of 'zine articles for RPG material on the planet. The RPG Heroes guild has been working in late 2010 to seed the database with articles and have done a fantastic job of getting in many of the Dragon Magazine articles, Dungeon Magazine articles and White Dwarf articles as well as a smattering of other magazines.

To see just how powerful this is, change the SEARCH box at the top of the screen to 'Article' and search for 'Paladin'. You will see an index of every Dungeon and Dragon magazine article that is related to the venerable Paladin class. With the overhauled UI and improved searches, we hope to soon be able to say 'Show me all articles related to Magic Weapons for D&D v3.5' and have a relevent list of results returned. Hot stuff!

But to make this a reality, we need help. Every magazine issue has between 10 and 25 articles that need to be entered into the system. To see an example of a good quality entry:

Dragon (Issue 10 - Oct 1977)

The article module is about halfway down.

Articles do not require moderation - they are at the discretion of the person entering them. There is also a Bulk Article Upload tool that lets you enter in the entire table of contents worth of articles quickly. Article uploads are tracked by the system and we have some new system level awards for helping with this project:

100 mb - Hear Ye, Hear Ye: Copper Article Submitter
250 mb - Hear Ye, Hear Ye: Silver Article Submitter
500 mb - Hear Ye, Hear Ye: Golden Article Submitter

In addition, since Article Entry is relatively new and has been pretty well put through its paces by some heavy article submitters, I've formed an Article Librarian team that will help answer questions (on this thread, please, so Q&A are public). You can spot these helpful article maestros by their special microbadge:

mb - Article Librarian

Since the system does not award any geekgold for entering articles (and the job is a long one), I'm offering 3 per issue that you convert to articles for our system. So if you have some old RPG magazines lying around that have not yet been converted over to the new Article system (the Article module for the Issue will be blank), consider putting them into the system and then posting below for your reward. Mention the issues specifically that you article-ized so that the Article Librarians can look for problems early and put you back on course.

I'm really excited about this project. It's a stretch goal to think we will get to 35k articles but we're already at 11k thanks to the early heroes effort.

And we're off!

-Dave

Edit: Matt has put together a short wiki on conventions he has been using for Dragon Magazines that is worth looking at no matter what magazine you're entering. Dragon Magazine Article Conventions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korvettenkapitän Jasper Aurelius van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No content? This seems more like an index or card catalog than a repository.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaspermeer wrote:
No content?

Absolutely not. We also don't house the 20,000 RPG products we list either. It's against site policy (not to mention against the three guiding principles of RPG Geek). Not what I'd hoped for in terms of a first response to our upcoming herculean efforts.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korvettenkapitän Jasper Aurelius van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FIRST!

Seriously, this is good for reference for collectors. The first sentence and the word "repository" got my hopes up. Dude, turning the 'geek into a content wunderkammer was too much to hope for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Middletown
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jaspermeer wrote:
FIRST!

Seriously, this is good for reference for collectors. The first sentence and the word "repository" got my hopes up. Dude, turning the 'geek into a content wunderkammer was too much to hope for.

It's also good if I want to know which issue of Dragon Magazine had an article about 1e Gamma World. Or if I can't remember which issue of Signs & Portents had that CthulhuTech adventure on ice that I want to run.

Come One Come All - See the excellent RPG Geek repository of knowledge!!

I am one of the librarians - feel free to ask questions about how to enter articles, what you need to know and do to get it done right, and quickly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've done a few for Knights of the Dinner Table, but I need to get back on that. It's not that hard, but it is a bit of work, even for a single issue.

Good thing to grab onto Dave. Will help quite a bit! ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
Not what I'd hoped for in terms of a first response to our upcoming herculean efforts.

To make you feel better, I just took care of an issue of Spielwelt for you. :)

Not so easy when the magazine's own index is incorrect...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paz AKA Matt Lewis
United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Finished GMing the Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder Adventure Path at Chester Games Club!
badge
Badger badger badger
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll get to it straight away!

...when I'm home from work, and the kids are in bed, and I've eaten, and the house is tidy, and I've added these new Pathfinder releases, and I've written my Iron Review, and I've posted to my PBF game...

*sob*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
You should be playing Dungeon World
mbmbmbmbmb
You raise a good point Matt - ideally it would be nice to see some new people take this on since much of the site's content so far has been created and driven by a relatively small number of members. Not only is this healthier for the community, since it increases the # of people personally invested, it also helps prevent burnout amongst the people are already doing a lot. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
Brofist
badge
I have eaten the plums that were in the icebox
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dave

I've duly been submitting articles, and I have a question about data entry. The 'Description' text field on the article submission form states:

Quote:
Please attribute the source of the description. (E.g. From the back of the book:, Publisher Blurb:, User Summary:, From Wikipedia:, etc...) If you attribute Wikipedia, then please include a link back to the Wikipedia page.

... but the link to the Dragon Magazine entry has no such attributions in any of the article descriptions.

I think pretty much all of my article descriptions begin with "User Summary: ", and it looks pretty rubbish, since I don't care all that much about the attribution for an article.

Should the attribution be ignored then, and article descriptions just be banged in direct and unattributed?

Oh, I've done all of the articles for 7 periodicals (all of the Excellent Prismatic Sprays and a solitary White Dwarf), so can I have a TON of GeekGold please? Or just 14 if you wish to be exact about it.

Cheers
Pete

• [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
you are being watched
badge
I am EVIL, do not try to change my alignment
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a mb

I have not entered a single article gulp

submitting articles is a encounter, during some encounters there are casualties

I am the healer, I approve the corrections and I remove the duplicates that the system seems to create on a random basis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He'd sometimes fail to respond to mail and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: suffering from a lack of time; I think it's a chronic condition.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an excellent initiative that I would encourage everyone to get behind. I'm definitely going to be working on getting the gold microbadge this year (I'm up to copper already).

As a personal incentive, I'll not be claiming any rewards until I've backfilled the database by adding articles for all of the magazine issues that I've already submitted (only 77 of them, but that's enough to keep me busy for a while).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
Brofist
badge
I have eaten the plums that were in the icebox
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh!

Stelio wrote:
As a personal incentive, I'll not be claiming any rewards until I've backfilled the database by adding articles for all of the magazine issues that I've already submitted (only 77 of them, but that's enough to keep me busy for a while).

Such humble privations in the cause of RPG Geekdom must, I feel, be rewarded, at least in some small fashion. Here's some GeekGold Stelio, so go and treat yourself to a fine burger in New Mexico. It'll keep you nourished while your fingers are reduced to bloody stumps from all that data entry.

Mmm, such good burgers in the States

Cheers
Pete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
July 5th Miramar -Be There!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of great RPG writers who did much of their best work for magazines, so articles are essentail to help track exactly what they did.

We've nearly finished all the RPG issues of White Dwarf (I'll do number 100 some time today, and my collection only goes to 110).

However, if anyone who owns some of the earlier issues of White Dwarf (roughly 1-5, 9-14, 16-24) wants to enter those Articles and posts here, i will offer an additional 2 per issue. You'll be adding more detail than I can put in from the descriptions without having the magazines...

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete, for all the articles I've done for White Dwarf I haven't stated a source for the description text. Sometimes I've taken the "Contents" text, sometimes the header from the article iself, and sometimes my own precis where that would be more useful for a future user than the other two sources.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Gorski
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Get my Mac software for Traveller at http://naasirka.weebly.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
IndyRick wrote:
I think pretty much all of my article descriptions begin with "User Summary: ", and it looks pretty rubbish, since I don't care all that much about the attribution for an article.

Should the attribution be ignored then, and article descriptions just be banged in direct and unattributed?

What you said about rubbish. IMHO, I ignored that attribution thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Gorski
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Get my Mac software for Traveller at http://naasirka.weebly.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Science Fiction!
Don't y'all forget about the SF side either! Lots of issues of Space Gamer and Challenge need some article love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Middletown
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
agorski wrote:
IndyRick wrote:

What you said about rubbish. IMHO, I ignored that attribution thing.

I've been mostly inputting Dungeon Magazines, and most of the issues have a one or two sentence description under the heading on the first page of the article or in the table of contents - that is what I put in the description and I don't do an attribution for it. If there isn't one of those, I don't put anything in the description field.

I believe this results in the most coherent listing of articles, adding the words user summary doesn't add anything to the short description, so I vote for leaving it off from now on.

We can get an official ruling from Dave and if the result is to leave it off, then we can change the instruction page for entering articles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with White Dwarf and some of the more "irreverent" magazines is that the decription in the Contents is sometimes an in-joke or a humourous aside that doesn't really describe the article.

It's good to put those in, but I want to add something boring like: "An Adventure for Paranoia 1st edition for 5 red-level troubleshooters".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just inputted Sorceror's Apprentice no 3. I think I've done it right but if someone could have a quick look to confirm I'd be a happy bunny!

I've also got issues 4 - 15 and will do those too in due course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
October 23-25, 2015
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
Mention the issues specifically that you article-ized so that the Article Librarians can look for problems early and put you back on course.

-Dave

Not looking for any payment. Just wanted to log my entries here in case the experts wanted to give the articles a once over.

Asgard All Issues
Knowledge Arcana All Issues
Kobold Quarterly Issues 1-8, 14 & 15. I reviewed the articles submitted in the other issues and cleaned up a couple things.

I'll try to get the Dragon and Dungeon mags I have into the system if they haven't already been done..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric M. Aldrich I
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:

Not so easy when the magazine's own index is incorrect...

I pity the poor person who takes on Different Worlds

Stelio wrote:
This is an excellent initiative that I would encourage everyone to get behind. I'm definitely going to be working on getting the gold microbadge this year (I'm up to copper already).

Agreed.

Stelio wrote:

I'm not feeling insane.

Red Wine Pie wrote:
However, if anyone who owns some of the earlier issues of White Dwarf (roughly 1-5, 9-14, 16-24) wants to enter those Articles and posts here, i will offer an additional 2 per issue. You'll be adding more detail than I can put in from the descriptions without having the magazines...

Good luck!

Why do I feel like I'm being railroaded? ... chugga chugga chugga ...

agorski wrote:
Don't y'all forget about the SF side either! Lots of issues of Space Gamer and Challenge need some article love.

Woo! Woo!

MJ Harnish wrote:
You raise a good point Matt - ideally it would be nice to see some new people take this on since much of the site's content so far has been created and driven by a relatively small number of members. Not only is this healthier for the community, since it increases the # of people personally invested, it also helps prevent burnout amongst the people are already doing a lot. cool

Burnout? What's this burnout you speak of? Oh, wait.... zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm slowly working my way through The Imperial Herald, after which I'll help Bel out with KODT...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got some of the early White Dwarfs and will add them - have just done WD 16 as a trial run!

A couple of questions.

Firstly, in several cases I wanted to put D&D or AD&D as the connection, but the RPG item section wanted me to be more specific, and the Setting and Series weren't right either. What's the best way of doing this? Most of the articles are fairly generic in that respect.

Secondly, it wasn't obvious to me how to categorise some things, particularly the articles which were basically additional items or rules for particular systems. I put them as articles but it seemed odd to do this when I was putting a much more general article (say about Dragons or Unicorns) in that category too. What's thew best approach?

Apols if my questions are entirely the result of thickness on my part!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Astinex wrote:
wavemotion wrote:
Mention the issues specifically that you article-ized so that the Article Librarians can look for problems early and put you back on course.

-Dave

Not looking for any payment.

Most (all?) of those you should have been compensated for over on the Heroes Guild. If not, don't hesitate to ask for the reward. We want to give it out for helping the database grow!

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [67] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.