A Red & Pleasant Land
Guide to Glorantha (Two Volume Set)
Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkana
Fantasy AGE Basic Rulebook
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Battle Scarred Veterans Go Hiking
Star Wars: Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Far Trek
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
Wide World of 77
The End of the World: Wrath of the Gods
Cthulhu Dark Ages: Second Edition
Fiasco
Parsely #2: Jungle Adventure
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Spirit of 77
Star Wars: Force and Destiny Game Master's Kit
Microscope Explorer
Deluxe Tunnels & Trolls
Anduin (Special Issue - Nov 2011)
Unearthed Arcana 7: Modern Magic
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness
H1: Keep on the Shadowfell
Star Frontiers
DragonQuest Boxed Set (First Edition)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
Dread
The Book of Erotic Fantasy
Dungeons & Dragons Rules Cyclopedia
Violence: The Roleplaying Game of Egregious and Repulsive Bloodshed
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Gunslingers and Gamblers: Streamline Edition
Dungeon (Issue 47 - May 1994)
Recommend

John Taber
Santa Clara
California
designer
Check out my RPG blog at http://www.usandacat.com/thelair!
Work hard, play hard!
-== What is it? ==-

Death In Luxor is the first Call Of Cthulhu adventure in the Age Of Cthulhu line from Goodman Games. I purchased the PDF version from DriveThruRPG so that is what I will be reviewing.

The document is comprised of the covers, the adventure with interspersed art and maps, several pages of handouts, and five sample characters. The PDF has a color front and back cover and an entirely black and white interior. The format is 8.5” x 11” and is 50 pages in length.

I have read the product from cover-to-cover. I ran the adventure for my gaming group after converting it to Fudge for my Terra Incognita campaign. (See the session logs on this very blog for a complete recap of how the adventure ran for my group.)

-== What I Like ==-

The adventure was very solid with strong hooks to move the players from one scene to the next. I had no trouble keeping things moving along even with my unpredictable set of players.

Several of the encounters created a lot of great drama. One scene that went particularly well with my group involved an encounter where the tomb guardians lock the PC into a tomb that is filling with water and releasing deep ones. It was awesome watching the PC scramble for a solution. Great stuff!

The module is set in the 1920′s but it was very easy to convert to the 1890′s where my campaign was set. Simply replacing cars with camels did the trick.

I really enjoyed the interior art and the cover. The cover art is pretty dramatic and eye catching.

-== What I Don’t Like ==-

Some of the handouts and the maps print out very dark. One of the handouts is not even viewable unless the copy is lighted by quite a bit. Even though the maps are dark they are nicely detailed.

During the adventure the PC encounter several bits of text that they translate. Some of these translations are critical to the story. I really wanted more of these translations available as handouts. Even if it is just a copy of the text in a tiny box that would have been nice. I was forced to create a separate document then copy out the text from the PDF. If I had not purchased the PDF I would have been forced to drag out the old copy machine.

-== Summary ==-

Overall I liked the adventure. It was linear but not overly so and the action was great. If this is their first attempt at a Call of Cthulhu scenario they are off to a great start. The price point for the PDF is fantastic at only $7.99.

I give it 7 out of 10 paws.