Worlds Numberless and Strange
Traveller Boxed Set
Fiasco
Clockwork & Chivalry 1st Edition
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
RuneQuest Sixth Edition
Numenera
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Fate Core System
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Baker Street: Roleplaying in the World of Sherlock Holmes
The Darkening of Mirkwood
Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Beginner Game
Enemies Within
Princes of the Apocalypse
Apocalypse Prevention, Inc. 2nd Edition
The Sixth Gun
Beneath the Temple of the Storm God
The Burning Wheel Fantasy Roleplaying System (Revised)
Army of Darkness Roleplaying Game
Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Starter Set
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
U1: The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
Night Below
KidWorld the Role Playing Game
Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition
Summerland (Revised and Expanded Edition)
Monsterhearts
The House of R'lyeh
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Murderous Ghosts
13th Age
Call of Cthulhu (7th Edition)
Pirates & Dragons Core Rulebook
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Conan» Forums » General

Subject: Conan the Statisticator rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Baldowski
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Conan for the first time last week and I felt a little stunned that a game could pack so many statistics into one sheet of paper. I know it's based off some OGL variant of D&D v3.x and that doesn't bode well for simplicity; but, it seems to me that a game setting in the World of Conan should have a combat system so slick you can't scan through it without falling flat on your ass. I found myself staring in disbelief a endless skill and combat modifiers, and modifiers on modifiers, wondering whether I'd ever use more than 2% of the numbers on my character sheet before the end of the adventure. I've read the background material for the game and that appealed to me as a fine source of additional information while I read some of the Howard stories; but the numbers did nothing more than frighten me.

It didn't much help that I hadn't accounted for the complexity of choosing a racial background in the game and applying it to the character template - because I'd hoped to play a grizzled outrider/borderer from Shem and ended up playing a Nemedian herbalist/borderer. Given we've been playing games with pre-gens, I'd hoped to add some immediate flavour with some history and some background reading. Only when I got to the session did I discover the mind-numbing complexity of the character sheet meant I wasn't going to get anything that wasn't pre-generated without causing an immense headache re-rolling from basics. The weight of numbers made it clear that the loss of effort getting ready for the session was a small price to pay - if I'd rolled something there and then, we may never have got the adventure started at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hendrik Neumann
Germany
Braunschweig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's been my impression, too, though I have only read the core book. I bought it with high hopes for a simple, fast, "barbaric" feeling game - and got a combat simulator like D&D. That probably suits gamers who are into this kind of rpg and/or are used to the D20 system, but I think it does not fit the theme well. Too bad; the background is great, but the game engine just does not deliver, imho.

Kudos for trying the game nonetheless - did you enjoy it using the pregenerated characters? Actually I am more concerned about clumsy game mechanics during play, as a lengthy character generation often can be done before the session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for that Conan feel with lightweight, fast rules, check out Barbarians of Lemuria, available in the original free version as well as more polished, for-pay versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Baldowski
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll definitely give that a look. I think we (gaming in general) went through a period where if you could OGL it, you did - whether or not the ruleset really suited the style and atmosphere of the game. In this instance, Conan suffers significantly because of that oversight in pursuit of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j h
United States
Lakewood
www.hafnerchiropractic.com
flag msg tools
designer
mb
That's d20 for you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Tyson
Australia
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow, Sword & Spell - 3 stats, a few skills...

or ZeFRS, the original Conan retroclone

Conan would probably punch them for being too complicated in the above
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew I'd never play the d20 version, but now I'm thinking I can use the material for Barbarians of Lemuria: http://rpggeek.com/rpgsystem/6445/barbarians-lemuria-system

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Ege
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason Vey has produced an OD&D Conan supplement. Find it on http://www.grey-elf.com/ and pair it up with a copy of OD&D (recommended), Basic D&D, or even Castles & Crusades. Any of these should be lighter than d20 Conan, but they may not be as light as the alternatives already presented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.