Worlds Numberless and Strange
Traveller Boxed Set
Fiasco
Clockwork & Chivalry 1st Edition
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
RuneQuest Sixth Edition
Numenera
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Fate Core System
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Baker Street: Roleplaying in the World of Sherlock Holmes
The Darkening of Mirkwood
Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Beginner Game
Enemies Within
Princes of the Apocalypse
Apocalypse Prevention, Inc. 2nd Edition
The Sixth Gun
Beneath the Temple of the Storm God
The Burning Wheel Fantasy Roleplaying System (Revised)
Army of Darkness Roleplaying Game
Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Starter Set
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
U1: The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
Night Below
KidWorld the Role Playing Game
Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition
Summerland (Revised and Expanded Edition)
Monsterhearts
The House of R'lyeh
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Murderous Ghosts
13th Age
Call of Cthulhu (7th Edition)
Pirates & Dragons Core Rulebook
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
313 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 

The Dungeon of Doom» Forums » News

Subject: The Dungeon of Doom! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: adventures [+] Pyuredeadbrilliant [+] [View All]
Dave Bernazzani (@rpggeek)
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DUNGEON OF DOOM

They say if you stare into the black abyss of the dungeon entrance long enough you will see it. The Runes of the great Dwarven Stronghold of Tinnis-Kur are etched into the pure black stone. They are normally not visible but occasionally, when the moon is right, they shine.

You have stood outside the dungeon entrance long enough. Mustering your courage, you utter the magic phrase that was given to you by the old man in the nearby village. The huge stone door slowly swings opens. A musty smell emanates from the damp, dark corridor beyond. You light your torch, take a deep breath and move cautiously into the darkness. Stepping down you have arrived in the first room on Level 1 of the dungeon.

Welcome to the Dungeon of Doom! In this game you will always be moving forward - never to retrace your steps. Mystical forces beyond comprehension prevent a character from going backwards - you must press ever onwards. There are 20 rooms in this dungeon spread across 5 levels. As you descend to lower levels, the monsters get more deadly and the challenges are harder to overcome. You will have your abilities tested - both the static abilities of your character and your role-play skills as a player. Treasure in the form of gold, jewels, weapons and items may also be found - with the more useful and rare items being found in the lower levels only. Any gold you find will be converted at the end of your adventure to GeekGold. Any non-weapon and non-armor items will be converted to microbadges of the appropriate type. Weapons and Armor don’t yield microbadges but will help you extend your quest by giving you more offensive power and defensive capabilities. You do not have to survive the dungeon to claim your prizes. In fact, it is far more likely that you will meet your demise in such a dangerous place and this Dungeon Master is betting that nobody will survive all 20 rooms! This is an adventure both deadly and random - it is possible (however remote) that you could run into fierce monsters on the early levels of the Dungeon. If you do... well, at least it will be over quickly.

The following types of challenges are found throughout the dungeon:

* Monster Encounter (a classic battle toe-to-toe against a monstrous foe)
* Challenge Encounter (a trap or other difficult obstacle to overcome)
* Role-Play Encounter (a scene is presented for the player who responds in kind)

No matter how your adventure goes, all participants will receive a microbadge celebrating their bravery.

mb - I have daringly delved into the Dungeon of Doom where dark denizens dwell.

Your adventure begins now! Good luck and may the dice be kind!
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The dungeon will cap at 800 Adventurers.

For the RPG Geek 2 year anniversary week we are proud to present the latest site-wide adventure for all geeks to enjoy! The Dungeon of Doom is ready - let's see how everyone fares!

And now the technical details and rules...

This adventure is being run via GeekList. Each GeekList item represents one adventurer entering the Dungeon of Doom. One of the expert Dungeon of Doom Game Masters will run the adventure with you. Here is a list of the Game Masters:

United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teh Slipperboy

Allen Park
Michigan
msg tools
Wouldn't want to disappoint Frumpish...
mbmbmb
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
If you have some sanity left...
badge
...come and join me in the tavern I buy you a mug of beer.
mb
The Other Steve
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DMSamuel
United States
Middletown
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
Only a dragon to see here. Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J Chav
United States
Murray
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John-Paul Pizzica
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
The power of W.A.M. compels you!
mb
Kendall Merriman
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Engstrom
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Paint it red; RED 'UNS GO FASTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

Eigen
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb

Eric M. Aldrich I
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ThirtyEighth
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven Worley
United States
Vicksburg
Mississippi
flag msg tools
At 40%, you will stop DoTs! Until then, you will throw more dots, throw more DoTs, more DoTs, more DoTs, come on... more DoTs! Okay! Stop DoTs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyler Hudak
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Jaren
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools

Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Matthew O'Malley
United States
Takoma Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
N/A
Andrew Sinclair
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
One Thread for All
badge
The name's Andrew -- pronounced 'Kah-thoo-loo'
mbmbmbmbmb
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mathieu Perreault-Dorion
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Andrew Butler
Australia
Hawker
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

And now the rules:

Each player may only adventure once. You may not re-enter the dungeon.
When asked to make a die roll (which will always be a d20), you will click the little "Roll" button found in the upper right side of your response. Always add in your relevant modifier - so if you are asked to make a Strength check and your Strength modifier is +3, you would enter d20+3 into the die roller (the system will roll a 20 sided die and add three to the result).
If you make a mistake with the die roller do not edit your post. Let your DM decide what to do. Deleting posts is forbidden and is considered cheating - your die rolls will still be logged into the system.
Players using sock-puppet accounts or caught cheating on die rolls, etc. will be immediately removed from their dungeon adventure.
Feel free to thumb any adventure, but do not comment on any other adventurer's geeklist item or comments.
Deadline #1: You must start your adventure by Friday 7-Aug-2011 Noontime. No new adventurers accepted after that time.
Any gold you find and any equipment you loot will be converted to geekgold and microbadges. These will be given to you within 24 hours of your adventure ending. If you haven't gotten your treasure within 24 hours of your adventure ending, please contact one of the GMs listed above.
When you join, subscribe to your item so that you are notified when a DM starts your adventure. Be patient.
Finally - don't be that guy. More than 50 hours have gone into crafting and playtesting this adventure to be run site-wide. Don't argue with your GM and don't complain. We're doing the best we can.

When you have understood the rules above, please select one of the following characters to represent you during this adventure.

Brute - Strength +5, Dexterity +1, Intelligence -5, Attack +6
Notes: The strongest character. Since monsters make up the largest percentage of challenges, Brute is built to survive.
Background: Learned early that he could pick up heavy things. Or smash them to bits. Sometimes both.

Flair - Strength +0, Dexterity +5, Intelligence +0, Attack +4
Notes: No real weaknesses and built to take what the dungeon dishes out with a reasonable chance of success.
Background: At home in forests but equally adept at navigating dungeons. What Flair's attacks lack in brawn they more than make up for in style.

Nimble - Strength -2, Dexterity +5, Intelligence +2, Attack +2
Notes: Can overcome any one Skill Challenge (not a Monster nor Role-Play Encounter) instantly and unerringly. Can only be used once in the entire adventure and must be done in place of a challenge roll (not after).
Background: Lurking in shadows and being opportunistic has allowed Nimble to thrive. Let the others do the hard work and be there for the cleanup.

Fizzle - Strength -2, Dexterity +5, Intelligence +5, Attack -2
Notes: Can defeat any one monster with a Fireball instantly and unerringly. Can only be used once in the entire adventure and must be done in place of an attack roll (not after).
Background: Believes that Arcane Magic is the key to life and is far more sophisticated and effective than a clumsy sword or awkward bow.

Then, go to this Geeklist for the adventure to post your character choice and begin:

The Dungeon of Doom Adventure

As with previous site-wide contests, I fully expect additional microbadges to be created as the adventure week takes place. These things sort of take on a life of their own.

Finally, I'd like to thank Aldie and Sol for advancing the timetable on getting Geek Rolls usable with Geeklists (this will be part of the upcoming site redesign). I'd also like to thank Paolo for an absolutely stunning microbadge design mb. This microbadge has 96 independent frames of animation and is the most ambitious badge to be accepted into the system. It took 37 signatures and an act from Geek-Congress to get this approved. We hope you enjoy showcasing it during this adventure week! Last but not least are the people who have supported the adventures in the past and present - you guys make it worth doing!

Ask any questions about the adventure below.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tops
Netherlands
Best
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm....just a noob...so: how do I enter?!?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LIGHTNING GOOOOOOAT
United States
Stafford
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clicking on the blue link near the bottom of his post.

I think.

edit: nope, that's the geeklist. I feel silly.

double edit: we are supposed to go to the geeklist. Man, I'm on a roll today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Boscà de Vasconcelos
Spain
Maestrazgo de Teruel
Teruel - Aragón
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmm.... who's going first? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tops
Netherlands
Best
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've posted an item to the geeklist....now what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
topstefan wrote:
I've posted an item to the geeklist....now what?

A Dungeon of Doom Game Master will be with you shortly. Subscribe to your geeklist item so you are notified when things happen for you in the Dungeon.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
Only a dragon to see here. Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got pipped for first by a few seconds soblue

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paulidale wrote:
I got pipped for first by a few seconds soblue

Don't worry, Pauli. With your rolls, you're likely to be the first out

The Official Dungeon of Doom Commiseration Thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
Is there a way to modify game page subscriptions so that people who are not participating cannot avoid a tremendous amount of subscription updates everytime someone makes a die roll?

You should be able to subscribe at the Geeklist Item level - that is, only subscribe to your geeklist item and not the global list 'Subscribe' at the top. Others may have more info.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
Citizen Liaison High Minister for Civic Involvement
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. Thanks to wavemotion, sdonohue, Barad_the_dwarf, vestige and whoever else was involved in putting this together and running it!

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Williams
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
www.ormistonwhisky.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work guys, this looks excellent. I only hope I don't get killed straight away. (most likely outcome!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Adrian
Canada
Edmonton
flag msg tools
mbmb
I shall brave the dreadful dungeon... tomorrow!

Until then, I'll be in the Tavern mustering both courage and wit.

Edit: Fully equipped! (see microbadges) Looks like I'll be a regular lvl 1 Fizzle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Ali de Oliveira Bueno
Brazil
Campinas
São Paulo
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
wavemotion wrote:
LordHellfury wrote:
Is there a way to modify game page subscriptions so that people who are not participating can avoid a tremendous amount of subscription updates everytime someone makes a die roll?

You should be able to subscribe at the Geeklist Item level - that is, only subscribe to your geeklist item and not the global list 'Subscribe' at the top. Others may have more info.

-Dave

I was thinking more of general subscriptions, not subscribing to that geeklist.

For instance, I am subscribed to Cave Troll, and everytime that entry for Cave Troll gets updated in the Dungeon of Doom geeklist, I get a new alert.

Not a huge deal, but would like to avoid it if I could.

In your Subscriptions manage page you can chose to block only one thread from a subscription, so you only need to block the Dungeon of Doom geeklist from your cave troll subscription and all should be fine. |You still receives others Dungeons of doom updates that you did not block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Van
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
how long will it take to do the whole adventure?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarge in charge!
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
Why should I fret in microcosmic bonds / That chafe the spirit, and the mind repress / When through the clouds gleam beckoning beyonds / Whose shining vistas mock man's littleness?
mbmbmbmb
Once again, I have to say "Thanks!" for such a great idea to bring even more fun to this site/community than there already is.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamesbv7 wrote:

Playtests finished in 2 days or so... It really depends on the frequency you can post at. If you managed all 20 rooms of the dungeon (very, very unlikely), you would need about 20 posts to finish. Figure... 10 posts tops.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Van
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
Jamesbv7 wrote:

Playtests finished in 2 days or so... It really depends on the frequency you can post at. If you managed all 20 rooms of the dungeon (very, very unlikely), you would need about 20 posts to finish. Figure... 10 posts tops.

-Dave

can I start and then come back to it later or does in need to be all done when you first time you enter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is such a neat idea - thanks to the organizers that put work into this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamesbv7 wrote:
can I start and then come back to it later or does in need to be all done when you first time you enter?

You can go as slow as you like so long as you start the Dungeon by Friday and are done by Sunday (a week from today). If you don't exit by Sunday, you still get all treasure you're due - but the event ends.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
Jamesbv7 wrote:

You can go as slow as you like so long as you start the Dungeon by Friday and are done by Sunday (a week from today). If you don't exit by Sunday, you still get all treasure you're due - but the event ends.

-Dave

I will probably be wiped out too quickly for this to matter ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Em
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incredibly awesome. Amazing the effort and time you guys put into this site. Can't wait to get started!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely, incredibly, awesome!

I say as I sit fingering my True Dungeon tokens for GenCon wondering if I'll actually make it to play this year... cry

And you give me this...

Thank you!

Yet another reason to LOVE THE GEEK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Boscà de Vasconcelos
Spain
Maestrazgo de Teruel
Teruel - Aragón
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Great, great, great idea!

Thanks a lot to the organizers!

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fantastic, I can't wait for my adventure to begin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.