Games|People|Company
Mass Effect RPG
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Mutant: Year Zero Core Book
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Better Than Any Man
Cake Walk
Fiasco
Mindjammer: The Roleplaying Game (Second Edition)
Atomic Robo
Redneckromancer
Degrees of Horror
A Red & Pleasant Land
Chicks Dig Gaming
Yggdrasill Core Rulebook (English edition)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Torchbearer
The Rise of Tiamat
DDEX1-01: Defiance in Phlan
The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse
Freeport: The City of Adventure (3rd edition)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Superworld (2nd Edition)
X2: Castle Amber (Château d' Amberville)
Fallout: PNP RPG (2.0)
Stonehell Dungeon: Down Night-Haunted Halls
Terrors of the Secret War
Firefly Role-Playing Game
Pathfinder Cards: Deluxe Harrow Deck
Mutant: År Noll
East Texas University
Monsternomicon
Arrowdown
The Chained Coffin
Princes of the Apocalypse
Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkana
Ohunkakan: The Living Myths
Player's Handbook (D&D 4e)
All Flesh Must Be Eaten Revised Edition
Star Frontiers
Call of Cthulhu (6th Edition)
Dread
A Penny for My Thoughts
Dungeons & Dragons Set 3: Companion Rules
Witch Hunter: The Invisible World
Psychosis: Ship of Fools
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
69 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Geekdo» Forums » News

Subject: RPG Geek Newbie-Friendly Play-By-Forum Initiative! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Bernazzani (@rpggeek)
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome to the RPG Geek Newbie-Friendly Play-By-Forum Initiative!

Now that the Mountains of Madness are over, we are ready to launch our new initiative to help bring people into the RPG hobby. As such, we are launching this across all three domains (although BGG and VGG are the focus for this as we lure people to the dark side).

One of the best kept secrets over on RPG Geek (the sister site to BGG and VGG) is our ability to play games by forum. Unlike most boardgames, there are often no proprietary bits or equipment needed to play many role-playing games. Quite a number of games do require some form of randomizer (usually dice) and the Geek Randomizer (aka Online Die Roller) handles that task admirably. For example:

Draw Sword and Swing Across the Ravine! 1d20+3 = (16) + 3 = 19

In an effort to convert some boardgamers and video gamers into role-players, we are setting up a site-wide initiative to offer RPGs in our play-by-forums (PBF). Currently more than 100 games have been played successfully via our forums and new ones crop up all the time. But most are done by veteran GMs for players already well up and running with a given system. This initiative puts the focus on new players - likely players who have little or no familiarity with core concepts of role-playing and have never played.

Role-Playing games are, at the core, an exercise in let's pretend. It's much like the informal games you played as children - things like Cowboys & Indians (yes, I know that's not the PC term but that's what we called it), Cops & Robbers, War or House. It's an inherently social activity - far more than most other games. It is also quite cooperative - with the group facing dangers and issues and resolving them as a team. You've perhaps played some boardgames with RPG-elements such as: Shadows over Camelot, Castle Ravelnoft, Shadow Hunters or the Lord of the Rings boardgame. If these games appealed to you, you might absolutely love the full immersion into a game where the choices are, for all practical purposes, limited only by your imagination.

RPGs cover a wide variety of genres and tastes. We play cowboys, treasure hunters, detectives, space jockeys, bunnies, robots and sword-wielding heroes (and villains!). And those are just the common characters you might consider playing. There are over 5000 games in our database currently and more added every day. Some games are a bit more tactical-heavy with their focus on combat. Others are almost improv-theatre with their story telling qualities. Most fall somewhere between these two extremes. If you're unsure what you might like to try, we're here to help you focus in on a game that might be to your liking.

The games being offered are shown on the following geeklist:

RPG Geek - Newbie-Friendly Play By Forum Signup

We've assembled some of the best Game Masters (GMs) who will run the game and make sure you understand the rules needed. You will not need to buy any rules nor will you be required to read piles of system notes. Most games will provide a character for you and some will allow you to make one yourself (its often good to have a pre-generated character for your first foray into RPGing... our goal is to keep it simple).

The games will take several months to run online - but only require a posting frequency of once/day (i.e. check in once a day to see if you have any actions or roleplay to add). These are short games, by RPG standards, but long enough that you can invest in your character, give them some direction and build a world for them to thrive in. We ask that anyone signing up be committed to the time-frame. When one player stops posting, it downgrades the fun for all involved (and the Game Master can, under truly dire circumstances, replace out a player to keep the game moving).

I hope people will take advantage of this opportunity. RPGs are some of the most creative ways to spend your time. If games like Mountains of Madness gave you a taste of Roleplaying, these games will be much more interactive, intense and generally contain more roleplaying elements for you to enjoy. Each game can only accommodate a handful of players and when it fills, it closes. Don't wait to sign up!

If you have questions or comments about this initiative please feel free to post below. If you have questions about a specific game and your ability to join, please go to the geeklist and post a comment to the game in question. The Game Masters are all standing by to help!

May all your hits be crits... I look forward to seeing some of you on the other side!

Edit: If you are not a newbie, our normal Play By Forum activity takes place here:
http://rpggeek.com/forum/379243/rpg/play-by-forum
Just subscribe to that forum as any posts in that forum are for recruitment... when a game has recruited they go off and play the game in the sub-PBF areas for the given game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 98920. wavemotion
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (16) + 3 =
  • Draw Sword and Swing Across the Ravine!
  • Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:16 pm
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally! I've been waiting for months for this Now my only problem is deciding which game to join.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville Vuorio
Finland
Porvoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a cool idea. RPGs have been (and still are) something of a mystery for me (plays like a boardgame but lasts months and doesn't even have a board?!?), but they certainly got my curiosity. But since RPG rulebooks are quite pricey I've been reluctant to give them a try, because you'll never know if your group will like RPGs or not.

I will be keeping an eye on this but I may need to pass on taking part myself (though I could be persuaded). You do have some awesome looking games on your list there (D&D, Call of Cthulhu, WFRP and, for a PC gamer, Dragon Age).
You do have permission to run PBFs for these games, right? Considering that you do not require the players to own a copy of the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack van Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What if you're not a newbie, just new to the whole play-by-forum thing? I've seen a few links to forums, threads, and geeklists, but I'm still not quite sure where I should look for games that are looking for players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gertz
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been waiting for this to come up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
MAISON ABREU: Lair of Abreu, you know, that guy below. Do not mistake this for other Maisons or Houses or even Abreus.
badge
I do look good on this chair, dont I?
mbmbmbmbmb
You need a bit more then just Fighting Fantasy to lure me in...

Now if there was a Star Trek RPG...
But it really needed to be newbie/noob friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
purplewurple wrote:
What if you're not a newbie, just new to the whole play-by-forum thing? I've seen a few links to forums, threads, and geeklists, but I'm still not quite sure where I should look for games that are looking for players.

Good question. Our normal Play By Forum activity takes place here:

http://rpggeek.com/forum/379243/rpg/play-by-forum

Just subscribe and any posts in that forum are for recruitment... when a game has recruited they go off and play the game in the sub-PBF areas for the given game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Shaw
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome idea. I've never had much opportunity to try an RPG (besides video games), so this sounds like fun. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Goodbye life
;-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Carson
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great! I play video game RPGs, and I used to play a little AD&D back in college, but real life got in the way. Since that's been a long time ago, and since my only PBF has been a wretched game of Werewolf, I think I still qualify as 'newbie'.
Thanks for initiating this outreach program!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will (JR) Todd
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
3D printing available for service at: http://www.3dhubs.com/los-angeles/hubs/martin-chino
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great. I think I will pop over and take a look for players as I would love to run a game of Floating Vagabond
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do I sign up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why the +3 to that roll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Carlin
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I love this idea I'm clearly way too slow. Seems every game on that list if already filled. Guess I'll just go back to the land of board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looleypalooley wrote:
Where do I sign up?

RPG Geek - Newbie-Friendly Play By Forum Signup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cardician wrote:
While I love this idea I'm clearly way too slow. Seems every game on that list if already filled. Guess I'll just go back to the land of board games.

They aren't all filled but... wow. We underestimated the demand. It took me a month to get that many Game Masters to volunteer to run 22 games. Well, we'll keep building community so we can supply more games!

If there are other willing GMs, just geekmail me your elevator pitch (see the geeklist for the 22 we already have as a template) for a game and how many you're willing to take and I'll add it to the geeklist.

We've put out the call for more GMs and we got a couple... new games going on the geeklist shortly.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
They aren't all filled but... wow. We underestimated the demand. It took me a month to get that many Game Masters to volunteer to run 22 games. Well, we'll keep building community so we can supply more games!

If there are other willing GMs, just geekmail me your elevator pitch (see the geeklist for the 22 we already have as a template) for a game and how many you're willing to take and I'll add it to the geeklist.

We've put out the call for more GMs and we got a couple... new games going on the geeklist shortly.

-Dave

Dave,

I was really hoping Mouse Guard would show up, but instead I'm in on the Star Wars Saga game. I know I can't participate in two games, but you might want to see if a GM can run a Mouse Guard game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Middletown
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:

Dave,

I was really hoping Mouse Guard would show up, but instead I'm in on the Star Wars Saga game. I know I can't participate in two games, but you might want to see if a GM can run a Mouse Guard game.

I love mouseguard and I love running it, but I will be honest and say that I won't run it pbf for a group of newbies. I am not sure they would have a good time because the game relies a great deal on table chatter and the pbf format makes it so that quick, concise, and coherent table chatter is difficult, especially when players are in different time zones.

I wish all the luck to a GM who wants to try...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
They aren't all filled but... wow. We underestimated the demand.

We told you. whistle I just hope I can still squeeze in somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Kristin L. Johansen
United States
Mountain Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
Happy Thanksgiving!
badge
I swear on my pretty floral bonnett...
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
cardician wrote:

-Dave

Wow is right! I've got all three of my games full! And enough interest in two of them that I'm going to run two groups for each of those. Man will I be busy!

If we absolutely need to, I can also run the adventure from the Pathfinder Beginner Box. I just went through it with
Marius Johansen
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
via Skype as the wizard and our three kids as the rogue, cleric and fighter today, and it was a really good introductory adventure. Especially since I GM'd it once, I feel confident about it if we need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I checked this morning, the initiative hadn't been posted yet & now it's already full! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn, Just Shawn
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You sly devils, you! devil

Give 'em just a taste - the first hit is free - and you know they'll be back looking for more soon enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jatang wrote:
When I checked this morning, the initiative hadn't been posted yet & now it's already full! cry

I'm not happy either... I hate disappointing anyone. We're working on opening up new games. Keep an eye on the geeklist. Some new games are being added tonight.

Edit: Although we made the rule clear that we wanted new players who haven't played an RPG in 10 or more years (pseudo-RPGs like Mountains of Madness and Dungeon of Doom are acceptable exceptions), we have had a couple of players sign up who are not (recently) new to the hobby. Please, leave the game slots open for new players. This initiative has two goals:

1. To bring new people into the hobby who have either been estranged or not had an opportunity to play.
2. To bring people to RPG Geek.

#1 is at least as important as #2.

Keep checking the geeklist, not only do new games pop up, but the occasional person rethinks their commitment and drops out opening up a slot (you can post 'I'll be an alternate if anyone drops early on' which is common on PBF sign-ups)

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.