Millennium's End v2.0
Gamma World
The Big List of RPG Plots
The Arduin Trilogy
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Box Set
Berge des Wahnsinns: Expeditionspack
The Achilus Assault
Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Aokigahara
Kingdom
GameMaster's Guide (HackMaster 5th Edition)
Call of Cthulhu (7th Edition)
Ehdrigohr Core Rulebook
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
395 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 

Bloodsand Arena» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: OOC: Bloodsand Arena rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the Out Of Character Thread for Bloodsand Arena.

All players should subscribe to this thread (and, eventually, the In Character [IC] thread we create).

To see the character possibilities you can pick for this adventure, see:

Arena Fighter
Thunderborn Barbarian
Animist Shaman
Illusionsit Wizard
Resilient Battlemind
Sorcerer-King Pact Warlock

And post below to discuss freely. The Bloodsand Arena comes with the 6 pregenerated characters. I'll post a link to the characters later (after I've developed a Geeklist or Wiki for them). However, in the inteirm, you can go download them at this link . (Just click on the download button. All I ask is that you do not read the actual adventure, as that would spoil the excitement of the adventure.)

Feel free to discuss the characters, and which you'd prefer to play, below. Also, any questions, comments, general table chat, etc. you have can be asked and answered here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stian Kristiansen
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it is first come, first serve, or if we should decide the character selection together, but I must admit that Morg appeals the most to me, followed by Ulieth as my second choice.

EDIT:
complete list:
1. Morg
2. Ulieth
3. Kindrok
4. Pak'cha
5. Suldin
6. Vinara
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'll leave the character selection process up to you guys (unless I have to step in and arbitrate). In the past, I've seen people list their order of preferences, do first-come first-serve, have a raffle, etc. As long as everyone's happy with what they have - that's all I care about!

Edit: And don't worry about "rushing me into it". I like enthusiastic players! Plus, I can always use a gentle push to get me started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping

Portland
OREGON
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my list:

Most Favored
Morg
Suldin
Kindrok
Vinara
Least Favored

The other 2 I cant careless for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. UDO
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
[This space intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose my choices would be:

1. Suldin
2. Pak'Cha
3. Ulieth
4. Kindrock
5. Morg
6. Vinara

I'm certainly open to any method of choosing them.

I'm excited to play. The only time I have ever played D&D was in the late 80's though I have other RPG experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pikkusiili2000 wrote:

I'm excited to play. The only time I have ever played D&D was in the late 80's though I have other RPG experience.

I understand your excitement. Before coming to RPGG and getting involved with the PbF's, I hadn't touched an RPG in almost 15 years. Not quite as long as you, but I was still excited to get back into it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Vuokko
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
I has a monocle!
badge
Ah, a brand new monocle.
mbmbmb
My first choice would be Pak'Cha, then Kindrok and Morg.
And others after them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stian Kristiansen
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a D&D and AD&D book ( can't remember what edition. They were red and blue but several editions might have had the same colors?) and a set of dice 12-14 years ago. I read them both, and I think I even created a small adventure. Unfortunately I had nobody to play with, so the whole thing was soon forgotten. I have no idea where those books are to day.

EDIT: Or maybe it was a Basic and an Expert book? They where red and blue atleast.

1983 Dungeons & Dragons (4th version - Basic and Expert sets in red/blue)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Johnston
United States
Lewiston
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited too. Its been a long while since I've played an RPG!

My choices would be:

1). Ulieth
2). Suldin
3). Kindrock
4). Vinara
5). Morg
6). Pak'Cha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, depending on what the last player wishes; everyone should be able to end up with their number 1 or number 2 pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I've put the characters up in a geeklist, which can be found here. And here are links to the individual characters.

Arena Fighter
Thunderborn Barbarian
Animist Shaman
Illusionsit Wizard
Resilient Battlemind
Sorcerer-King Pact Warlock

I'm still looking for a good piece of artwork for Suldin (the Illusionist Wizard). Also, whichever character you end up with - if you have a different picture you'd rather use, please let me know. I'll be using those pictures to create player tokens for use on maps; so you'll be staring at them a lot (at least, the faces. You won't see the rest of the picture on the token)! If you don't like 'em, speak now or forever hold your peace!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping

Portland
OREGON
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, the geeklist is very wordy! haha, why not use the character sheet that you have show us (via a link) yesterday? That is so much more visual. But thanks so much for typing them out and stuff! Cant wait to get started on this game.

BTW, how does a PbF RPG usually runs? I have seen the FAQ but still have questions hanging. How do we discuss things as a team? (in a seperate OOC thread?) how do we role play? (as in, if we want to small talk with each other but with the once a day posting frequency, will it drag out the game?)

and also, will there be many level up opportunity? one of the best things in the computer game is to level up and receive new perks and spells
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cpf86 wrote:
Wow, the geeklist is very wordy! haha, why not use the character sheet that you have show us (via a link) yesterday? That is so much more visual. But thanks so much for typing them out and stuff! Cant wait to get started on this game.

Yeah, it is quite lengthy. I just posted it all there for quick reference, and in case someone can't download the files. If you have a copy of the downloaded files, feel free to use that!

cpf86 wrote:
BTW, how does a PbF RPG usually runs? I have seen the FAQ but still have questions hanging. How do we discuss things as a team? (in a seperate OOC thread?)

Yep, this is what the OOC thread (this thread) is for! You can discuss strategy, make plans, ask questions, or just have the general table chit-chat all in this thread.

cpf86 wrote:
how do we role play? (as in, if we want to small talk with each other but with the once a day posting frequency, will it drag out the game?)

If you want table small talk, you might use the OOC thread. However, if you mean small talk between the characters you're playing; feel free to do all you want! The once/day posting frequency is the lower limit. Therefore, it is quite possible to post multiple times per day.

Due to the nature of the PbF system, certain players will be able to post more often than others. This is just fine, and will allow for more of the Player Character conversations to take place.

cpf86 wrote:
and also, will there be many level up opportunity? one of the best things in the computer game is to level up and receive new perks and spells :)

Unfortunately, Bloodsand Arena is a short adventure. It is meant as an introductory adventure into D&D 4e and the world of Dark Sun. Therefore, a chance to level up is not presented. If the interest is high enough after we finish Bloodsand Arena, we may be able to continue a bit further with another adventure. However, part of me was thinking of avoiding that, since the Leveling Up process can be a hard thing to tackle without the books (i.e., it would require me listing off the numerous options available to each class - which would take quite a while. But, that's not to say it's impossible!)

Now, speaking of this, I'd like to get a poll. What experience do each of you (the players) have with RPGs? With D&D? With D&D 4e? Thanks! This should give me a good starting place for explaining things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[Yes, I did shamelessly steal this post from Dave's PbF campaign; but, since I was part of the adventure the map is from, I figured I have eqaul rights to it!]

Okay, some procedural things... for the In Character [IC] thread (which will be created in a few days time) assume that what you type is what your character does. If you have a short bit of OOC (out of character) text you want to add, just color it in Grey using

[ color=grey]I think the GM sucks![/color]

which, when you remove the leading space, becomes:

I think the GM sucks!

Some people preface their OOC text with OOC: as well though it is strictly not needed.

Experience Points are gained throughout the adventure and are used to level your characters up. You start the adventure as Level 1 characters - trained in your profession but little more. Experience (or XP) will be doled out equally as the adventure progresses. Unlike at a real table, some players will participate in more activities simply because they are more responsive and life has less pressures on them in a given week.

This RPG is not played in strict turns or rounds... Other than in very strict situations (mainly combat), you are free to do multiple things even if other players haven't responded yet. That is, some players will have more time and may do more in character stuff than another player - that's totally fine. At a table I can easily keep players involved at close to the same level but in PBF that's hard without slowing things down to a crawl. So no worries if the Fighter talks to the bar wench, checks the drinks for poison and pockets a coin on the floor before the Cleric even approaches the bartender. They will both get equal experience

When and if we do go into a combat situation, we drop down to a tactical map. For example, if you approach the Goblin Trading Market and things get dicey...

You then interact on this grid by giving coordinates for your character to move. I'll create little icons for all 5 of the characters so it will be clear.

I'll start the IC thread in a few days!

Feel free to ask any questions or let me know if I'm going too fast (or too slow!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stian Kristiansen
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from MoM all the experience I have is from reading those books many years ago. Not a lot in other words. I have read an IC thread on a Pathfinder PBF while doing MoM, so at least that gave me a few hints on how things are done. I am the rule-explainer in most of my gaming groups though, and I generally enjoy reading game rules, so if there are any resources out there (rule summaries, starting player aids, introduction rules etc) that are available for free I would love to take a look at it. But since selling rule books is a what they make money on I guess it might not be that much available? I'll take a look around at least, and if you know about anything just point me to it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grjsk wrote:
I generally enjoy reading game rules, so if there are any resources out there (rule summaries, starting player aids, introduction rules etc) that are available for free I would love to take a look at it. But since selling rule books is a what they make money on I guess it might not be that much available? I'll take a look around at least, and if you know about anything just point me to it:)

I'll see what I can locate. I know they've passed out plenty of free items at past Free RPG Days - but I'll need to see what's easily available online.

In the downloadable files I mentioned yesterday, there should have been one file for the adventure. If you like, feel free to read the first 6 pages of that, as they're mostly background on Dark Sun. (Stop once you get to page 7, which says "Betrayal at Altaruk" at the top. That's where the actual adventure begins).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stian Kristiansen
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unknown Ediology wrote:
grjsk wrote:
I generally enjoy reading game rules, so if there are any resources out there (rule summaries, starting player aids, introduction rules etc) that are available for free I would love to take a look at it. But since selling rule books is a what they make money on I guess it might not be that much available? I'll take a look around at least, and if you know about anything just point me to it

I'll see what I can locate. I know they've passed out plenty of free items at past Free RPG Days - but I'll need to see what's easily available online.

If you'd like, in the downloadable files I mentioned yesterday, there should have been one file for the adventure. If you like, feel free to read the first 6 pages of that, as they're mostly background on Dark Sun. (Stop once you get to page 7, which says "Betrayal at Altaruk" at the top. That's where the actual adventure begins).

Will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stian Kristiansen
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I have been looking around a bit, and found the following webpages:

http://www.d20srd.org/
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

It looks like D&D 4e is not a d20 system (Atleast I think so, it's all a bit confusing to be honest), but would the d20 page might be a nice place to start if you're looking for some very general info?

Or, is pathfinder a better start place (since it appears to be some 3.5 spin-off?)?

Do you have any experience with these systems vs 4e?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grjsk wrote:
So, I have been looking around a bit, and found the following webpages:

http://www.d20srd.org/
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

It looks like D&D 4e is not a d20 system (Atleast I think so, it's all a bit confusing to be honest), but would the d20 page might be a nice place to start if you're looking for some very general info?

Or, is pathfinder a better start place (since it appears to be some 3.5 spin-off?)?

Do you have any experience with these systems vs 4e?

You're correct. 4e is not a d20 system. My personal experience with those systems is very limited - I'm currently in my first game of Pathfinder, and it's also a PbF.

From what I've garndered, some of the basic principles seem to be the same (ie, we have various classes, various races, etc.); however, 4e seems to be a complete overhaul of the system. I know the powers and feats changed completely. Personally, I'd recommend trying to find more 4e applicable information first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Vuokko
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
I has a monocle!
badge
Ah, a brand new monocle.
mbmbmb
Seems to be still d20, at least from what I understood from this...
just changed it a bit.

http://rpggeek.com/rpgsystem/2304/dd-4e-game-system
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stian Kristiansen
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unknown Ediology wrote:
I'm currently in my first game of Pathfinder, and it's also a PbF.

The Margreve Campaign?

grjsk wrote:
I have read an IC thread on a Pathfinder PBF

That's the one I have been reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indramir wrote:
Seems to be still d20, at least from what I understood from this...
just changed it a bit.

http://rpggeek.com/rpgsystem/2304/dd-4e-game-system

Hmm...I read your link and can see the confusion. While some of the basic concepts remained the same (i.e. different races, different classes, the abilities, roll a d20 for most things); I think that's about the extent of it. [d20 was the Open Game License and was the basis for 3.0 and 3.5 (I believe).]

For example, if you look at races in d20 and races in 4e; the abilities of each race have changed. In addition, you'll find a different list of races in 4e (they added a few more) than in d20.

Also, the classes have changed; new ones have been added and the abilities of each class have changed. In 4e, each class has a list of powers they can use which is completely different from d20. The same goes for skills; many were dropped/combined in 4e.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grjsk wrote:
Unknown Ediology wrote:
I'm currently in my first game of Pathfinder, and it's also a PbF.

The Margreve Campaign?

grjsk wrote:
I have read an IC thread on a Pathfinder PBF

That's the one I have been reading!

Yep! That's the one I'm currently in. So anyone who wants to come watch their GM get whooped upon, feel free to check it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found some quick start rules. Check 'em out here:

Quick Star Rules

If people are unable to download the file, let me know and I can recreate the important parts in the Geeklist. Which I may do anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping

Portland
OREGON
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For myself, I would say I am very well versed in the 3.5 rules, spending countless hours on neverwinter nights, baulders gate, ice wind dale and the like. I did a lot of multi class like fighter 4/weapon fighter 7/ babarian 9 kinda characters. So for the feats and to hit and the modifiers, I am quite experienced.

but the rest of the PbF RPG i have no clue. I have read some articles on introductions to 4e and dummy to RPG, but really dont consider myself to know anything but on the surface.

Since 4e fighting and class system have been changed totally, I am afraid you will have to teach me from scratch. But I will be a fast learner since most of the things will make sense in the face of 3.5 experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.