Alone Against the Flames
Fiasco
Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Monstrous Manual
MC01: Monstrous Compendium (Volume One)
X11: Saga of the Shadow Lord
Night Below
Lamentations of the Flame Princess (Grindhouse Edition)
Baker Street: Roleplaying in the World of Sherlock Holmes
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse
The Hounds of Halthrag Keep
Cthulhu Dark Ages (2nd edition)
Deluxe Tunnels & Trolls
Indie+ Anthology 2014
Call of Cthulhu (6th Edition)
Call of Cthulhu (5th Edition)
Mythic Game Master Emulator
The Klingons (1st Edition)
Apocalypse World
Microscope
Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game
Princes of the Apocalypse
Dragon Age Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Fantasy AGE Basic Rulebook
Doors to Darkness
Savage Insider (Volume 3, Issue 1 - Spring 2015)
Wilderness Survival Guide
Dark Conspiracy
Dungeons & Dragons Set 1: Basic Rules
Trail of Cthulhu
The Succubus Club
X10: Red Arrow, Black Shield
Dungeon Master's Guide (AD&D 2e)
The Caverns of Thracia
DDA3: Eye of Traldar
DDA4: The Dymrak Dread
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
Battle Scarred Veterans Go Hiking
Dungeons & Dragons Game (New Simplified Version)
AC6: Player Character Record Sheets
Oriental Adventures
The Great Pendragon Campaign
X8: Drums on Fire Mountain
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » General Role-Playing

Subject: Recommendation needed: Mech RPG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
I grew up in the 80s on a steady diet of Transformers, Go-Bots, Robotech. and numerous other spin-offs. In the 90s I played the heck out of the Mechwarrior and MechCommander computer games. I've always been a big fan of giant robots. And not-as-giant robots too. Heck even power armor like in Starship Troopers (the book) or the Battletech elementals is cool.

Creating A Life Spent in Pursuit of Ephemeral Things has led me down a bit of a rose-colored lane and I realized I'm missing something...

I've never really found an RPG that's met my mecha needs. Of course, I've only really tried MechWarrior: The Battletech Role Playing Game and Robotech The Role-Playing Game and its assorted supplements such as Invid Invasion and Southern Cross. Neither one of those really met my needs. Mechwarrior was a little to archetype based for my tastes. There wasn't enough variability in characters for me. Robotech? Well, although I've played a lot of Palladium Books games over the years, I can't say I'm a big fan of the system. I even gave Doom Striders a go, but giant robots in a fantasy setting didn't do it for me.

So, here's where I turn to you, the denizens of RPGGeek. Recommend a mecha game to me. I don't have stringent criteria. Some of the things I want are:

"relatively rules light:" Rules light vs. rules heavy is a debate for another day. When I say rules like, I'm thinking Basic Roleplaying or lighter. It can be skill-based, but it doesn't have to be.

"western giant robots preferred:" I've always preferred the battle-scarred, oil-leaking behemoths of Battletech versus the shiny nicely painted Robotech versions.

Robots can be sentient or they can be pilot operated.

It can be in-print or out of print. Either is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I'm a fan of the setting of Heavy Gear. Don't know much about the rpg mechanics though.

Masamune Shirow ftw! A game with landmates would be heavenly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the latest version of the mechwarrior prg is more in line with your tastes? I couldn't really tell you much about it or how it compares to it's forebearers.
A Time of War: The BattleTech RPG

Or perhaps something a little more transformersish?
Origins of the Species: Transmechs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GURPS isn't quite as rules-light as BRP, but it's not too bad. And it's a ruleset that will allow you to tell the kinds of stories you want.

The only sourcebook for GURPS that I could find that seemed relevant: GURPS Robots
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cooksey
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
I'm on a podcast! - www.playontarget.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
GURPS isn't quite as rules-light as BRP, but it's not too bad. And it's a ruleset that will allow you to tell the kinds of stories you want.

The only sourcebook for GURPS that I could find that seemed relevant: GURPS Robots

GURPS Mecha is also a good resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Of course a lot of mecha type things in Palladium stuff like Rifts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the time frame?

Alephtar are finally bringing out BRP Mecha near Christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
cosine wrote:
I'm a fan of the setting of Heavy Gear. Don't know much about the rpg mechanics though.

How could I forget Heavy Gear? I loved the computer games back in the day and got a kick out of the cartoon, too. My local Edward McKays used books usually have copies for a few dollars, I'll swing buy and at least flip through them to get a feel for the system.

Thanks for the reminder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
georgeofjungle3 wrote:
Perhaps the latest version of the mechwarrior prg is more in line with your tastes? I couldn't really tell you much about it or how it compares to it's forebearers.
A Time of War: The BattleTech RPG

Or perhaps something a little more transformersish?
Origins of the Species: Transmechs

I'm interested in the new Battletech RPG, but the one review I read on it mentioned how a spreadsheet makes chargen easier. Not sure if that's what I want.

As for Transmech's, thanks for pointing that out. I'll be picking that up for a read through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Rishi wrote:

Thanks for the point in that direction. I don't keep up with GURPS, so I don't know what's out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heavy Gear (Mostly land based military style play - Desert Punk)
Jovian Chronicles (Same publisher as Heavy Gear, but with land, air, and space battles - Gundam)
Mekton Zeta (Hard to find, but one of the best create-a-mech RPGs out there - Gundam, Voltron, Transformers, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
cosine wrote:
Of course a lot of mecha type things in Palladium stuff like Rifts

Unfortunately it has the Palladium system attached to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
andyl wrote:
What is the time frame?

Alephtar are finally bringing out BRP Mecha near Christmas.

I've been waiting for this for a while, but it keeps getting delayed. But, to answer you're question, I'm in no hurry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm yea close to putting out a revised and much prettier version of Pineapple Salad, if 3P GM-less suits you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cjbowser wrote:
cosine wrote:

How could I forget Heavy Gear? I loved the computer games back in the day and got a kick out of the cartoon, too. My local Edward McKays used books usually have copies for a few dollars, I'll swing buy and at least flip through them to get a feel for the system.

Thanks for the reminder!

Another vote for Heavy Gear (1st & 2nd Editions). If you have the chance, take a look at the Storyline Book series: often overlooked, all-fluff-no-crunch books that really add to the whole HG universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To expand a bit:

cjbowser wrote:
"relatively rules light:" Rules light vs. rules heavy is a debate for another day. When I say rules like, I'm thinking Basic Roleplaying or lighter. It can be skill-based, but it doesn't have to be.

I'd say that, RPG-wise, HG is just that, "relatively rules light". Things tend to get a bit more complicated if you tackle the pure tactical system, but only because you're managing 15-20 Gears at a time. If you just do the RPG, the crunchiness is in my opinion BRP-like.

cjbowser wrote:
"western giant robots preferred:" I've always preferred the battle-scarred, oil-leaking behemoths of Battletech versus the shiny nicely painted Robotech versions.

The Gears appearance owes a lot to the manga style, but they're really camo-painted battle-worn machines, spewing out exhaust fumes from their v-engines!

cjbowser wrote:
Robots can be sentient or they can be pilot operated.

A bit of both, really. Gears are pilot operated, bur sometimes they develop quirks of their own (IIRC, not mechanically represented in the basic rulebooks, but there should be something about it in some supplement).

cjbowser wrote:
It can be in-print or out of print. Either is fine.

OOP, readily available on the secondary market, and fully available as pdfs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
I'll definitely check out Pineapple Salad when it comes out. Keep me posted.

And it looks like Heavy Gear with three votes is definitely something I need to check out. Any preference for version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not my genre and I've never seen this game, but John Wick has been making the podcast rounds talking about The Aegis Project.

YMMV!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cjbowser wrote:
And it looks like Heavy Gear with three votes is definitely something I need to check out. Any preference for version?

2nd edition was the best in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
cjbowser wrote:

It's now available: Pineapple Salad (revised version)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
belirahc wrote:
Mekton Zeta (Hard to find, but one of the best create-a-mech RPGs out there - Gundam, Voltron, Transformers, etc.)

My favorite mech game. And, if PDF is OK, it is available at RPGNow (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=25403&it=... and http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=1556&it=1).

Not really rules light, but if you go with pre-made designs, the game play is not too complex (of course, I am very familiar with Interlok, the core of the system). And for making your own mechs, the design system is phenomenal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heavy Gear is very good, but as a long time collector of the rpg I have a couple of issues with it.

Firstly it uses a d6 system which means that players are often very similar to each other stats wise. A naturally talented gear pilot will have virtually identical stats to a veteran gear pilot who got good over a long career. There are some conversion notes somewhere on the net about using d8 which is probably a good idea and if the stories are true were how the system was originally envisaged.

Secondly I have never really got on well with games that try to be tactical wargames and rpgs at the same time, either the tactical side or the rpg side lose out at some point and I`m not sure Heavy gear really solves thats issue.

There is also a developing game world angle too, there is an arc to the game world, some npcs in the game setting are supposed to live on in the world as important historical mover and shakers.However there is no overall framing of the history of the world so you can see where its all going so you can work with it and it can be difficult to work games in such a way that a character who the players fall with and want to kill survives because he is important to the world, apparently, but you dont know why because they dont tell you.

The final issue is that there is no firm starting place for campaigns, players can be from the norther or the south (enemies of each other in the game) or from badlands or one of the other independent nations. The Gm has to decide where the game will be set and that means that a quantity of the setting information will be pretty redundant because your players are unlikely to go there.

But it is a good game and the players had great fun being part of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Tousignant
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mekton - Road Striker II even included rules for transformers and combiners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This overtext is a blatant example of frivolous spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
GilvanBlight wrote:
Mekton - Road Striker II even included rules for transformers and combiners.

Mekton Zeta Plus contains all that stuff updated for the Zeta rulebook. The booklet in the Mekton Zeta Tactical Display has the errata and the two or three pieces of equipment left out of the Plus manual. If you can score copies of all three, you have all the mecha resources you will ever need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cooksey
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
I'm on a podcast! - www.playontarget.com
mbmbmbmbmb
cjbowser wrote:

I've got a copy of 2nd Edition I'll send you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.