Games|People|Company
Mass Effect RPG
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Mutant: Year Zero Core Book
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Better Than Any Man
Cake Walk
Fiasco
Mindjammer: The Roleplaying Game (Second Edition)
Atomic Robo
Redneckromancer
Degrees of Horror
A Red & Pleasant Land
Chicks Dig Gaming
Yggdrasill Core Rulebook (English edition)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Torchbearer
The Rise of Tiamat
DDEX1-01: Defiance in Phlan
The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse
Freeport: The City of Adventure (3rd edition)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Superworld (2nd Edition)
X2: Castle Amber (Château d' Amberville)
Fallout: PNP RPG (2.0)
Stonehell Dungeon: Down Night-Haunted Halls
Terrors of the Secret War
Firefly Role-Playing Game
Pathfinder Cards: Deluxe Harrow Deck
Mutant: År Noll
East Texas University
Monsternomicon
Arrowdown
The Chained Coffin
Princes of the Apocalypse
Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkana
Ohunkakan: The Living Myths
Player's Handbook (D&D 4e)
All Flesh Must Be Eaten Revised Edition
Star Frontiers
Call of Cthulhu (6th Edition)
Dread
A Penny for My Thoughts
Dungeons & Dragons Set 3: Companion Rules
Witch Hunter: The Invisible World
Psychosis: Ship of Fools
Apocryphal Lore
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know whether to call this a card game, a half/larp an incredible addition to any magic wielding rpg?

I was recently introduced to kickstarter through another geek member, and my first time out I think I found gold!

I'm going to paint a scene for you.

Two players encounter an archmage. They both pull out small leather books, the codecies containing their character spells. The gm pulls out his own book for the archmage. Player 1 pulls out a spell printed on a 4x6 heavy card, she reads the summoning key an speaks the words 'Fos Om Bek!' Her companion, recognizing the coming fire spell, chooses an augmentation spell to increase the effectiveness, "Thol El Desh". The gm quickly reacts with a shield of the physical planes, using a more complex series of incantation. The players immediately reach for their next spells.

This is the world of Serpent's Tongue.

I worry that I'm doing it no justice, but this is one of the most innovative designs I have seen and I wanted to share it with you guys. Look for more updates in the future, if you want to see what it all looks like now you can take a gander Here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apocryphal Lore
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious, what do people think? Does the game interest you at all? Would you use it in an RPG? A LARP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Heckman
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
"What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks mildly interesting, but I'll wait for reviews first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani (@rpggeek)
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great... I had convinced the Devs to fold the 'Indie' forum into the 'General' forums since we all seem to be one big happy family these days... and then someone uses the Indie forum

I'm going to have to do a song-and-dance for the Devs now!

**waves magic wand*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apocryphal Lore
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it matters, I would have 10x preferred this post to be in the general area, but I was worried about posting I'm the wrong neighborhood; if you were to move this over to general I would be appreciative and we could pretend I never used this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
...much that he related belonged more properly to the category of what-might-have-happened-had-I-only-thought-of-it-in-time-instead-of-ten-minutes-afterwards. Those are always the best and raciest adventures...
badge
... a picked body of Toads, known as the Die-hards, or the Death-or-Glory Toads, will storm the orchard and carry everything before them, yelling for vengeance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds similar to Waving Hands, but more user friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apocryphal Lore
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:

My god that's an obscure reference !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Eagle River
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
Gaming in Greater Anchorage area, Alaska since 1978. Looking for Indy-willing RPG players in Eagle River (or willing to drive to Eagle River). Geekmail me if interested.
badge
Yes, this really is what I looked like when I uploaded that avatar. Not that it's quite current anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
agduncan wrote:
sos1 wrote:

Steffan is becoming notorious for those kind of references...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apocryphal Lore
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in this as a game in itself but it seems to have potential for augmenting other games. It is the interactivity that puts it a step beyond something like Magic I think... Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agduncan wrote:
Player 1 pulls out a spell printed on a 4x6 heavy card, she reads the summoning key an speaks the words 'Fos Om Bek!' Her companion, recognizing the coming fire spell, chooses an augmentation spell to increase the effectiveness, "Thol El Desh".

I think this is something that sounds good in theory, but doesn't work in practice.

DSA, for example, wanted its players to recite arcane phrases for its spells a couple decades ago. After the first session, when the novelty had worn off, practically nobody did so, instead just using abbreviations or vanilla descriptions.

Then again, it was a blast in Sorcery!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apocryphal Lore
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:
agduncan wrote:
Player 1 pulls out a spell printed on a 4x6 heavy card, she reads the summoning key an speaks the words 'Fos Om Bek!' Her companion, recognizing the coming fire spell, chooses an augmentation spell to increase the effectiveness, "Thol El Desh".

I think this is something that sounds good in theory, but doesn't work in practice.

DSA, for example, wanted its players to recite arcane phrases for its spells a couple decades ago. After the first session, when the novelty had worn off, practically nobody did so, instead just using abbreviations or vanilla descriptions.

I worry a little about this too, but then it really relies on player buy in. The opposing players really have to re-enforce that miscast rule - there seems to be incentive that miscasts give everyone else some power. I dig their idea that there is some skill involved that must be mastered; it pulls me into the concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agduncan wrote:
I worry a little about this too, but then it really relies on player buy in. The opposing players really have to re-enforce that miscast rule - there seems to be incentive that miscasts give everyone else some power. I dig their idea that there is some skill involved that must be mastered; it pulls me into the concept.

I dunno. It might fall into the everybody-who's-going-to-play-this-seriously-is-going-to-master-it-anyway-so-why-bother-with-the-hassle-in-the-first-place trap. Hard to say.

In any case, definitely something interesting to keep an eye on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apocryphal Lore
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, but I think one of the attractions is that any one player can only have a book of 33 spells, and there are hundreds to choose from so the ability for a player to master them all is an extreme commitment. Just a counter thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Eagle River
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
Gaming in Greater Anchorage area, Alaska since 1978. Looking for Indy-willing RPG players in Eagle River (or willing to drive to Eagle River). Geekmail me if interested.
badge
Yes, this really is what I looked like when I uploaded that avatar. Not that it's quite current anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
agduncan wrote:
E Decker wrote:
agduncan wrote:

It also has the potential, especially in more strongly religious areas, to result in claims it teaches real spellcasting.

I've only seen one game that actually used this mode, but it required use of psalm quotes from the bible for most of the spells: DragonRaid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apocryphal Lore
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:
...result in claims it teaches real spellcasting.

I certainly hope it does
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
agduncan wrote:
sos1 wrote:

That was my first reaction as well. Perhaps it is just a sign of how long we've been lurking game forums on the internet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samoht Noswal
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
I really dont see this so much as an Larp or an RPG, this has much more of an ARG feel to me.

In an RPG people control fictitious avatars from the comfort of reality to effect the game world, while in a Larp the players step into the shoes of the character and distance themselves from reality to experience the adventure first hand. This however steeps the players themselves into the game without actually removing them from reality, so for this reason I am going to have to label this an ARG.

Also, this...

sos1 wrote:

Was an AWESOME post.

I used to have so much fun playing that game in college. Me and about five friends of mine played it and we were always gunning for one another. I remember this one time I actually engaged one of them in a game from the window of the door to his class, it was a short game as he was fairly distracted by the lecture, but fun just the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apocryphal Lore
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't aware of the term ARG, but yes, I think that's apt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samoht Noswal
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
ARG = Alternate Reality Game

I started getting into them a few years ago, if you can pull them off they are a ton of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apocryphal Lore
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an update for anyone interested, the game is now on the Geek: Serpent's Tongue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.