Enemies and Allies
Traveller Boxed Set
Ghosts in the Black
Beneath the Temple of the Storm God
Baker Street: Roleplaying in the World of Sherlock Holmes
The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse
HeroQuest Glorantha
Data Trails
The Burning Wheel Fantasy Roleplaying System (Revised)
Call of Cthulhu (6th Edition)
B2: The Keep on the Borderlands
Army of Darkness Roleplaying Game
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Dungeon (Issue 49 - Sep 1994)
Microscope
RuneQuest Sixth Edition
Pirates & Dragons Core Rulebook
DDEX1-01: Defiance in Phlan
Cthulhu Britannica: London
Feng Shui 2
World War Cthulhu: The SOE Handbook
Star Wars: Force and Destiny Game Master's Kit
The Sixth Gun
Burning Empires
Dread
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
U1: The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
Hero Builder's Guidebook
Thieves of Fortress Badabaskor
Diaspora
Maelstrom
Hidden Kingdom
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 1: Your Story
KidWorld the Role Playing Game
Apocalypse World
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
256 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 

2012 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs» Forums » News

Subject: 2012 RPG Geek 24-hour Contest - VOTING HAS CLOSED! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 24-hour_rpg [+] RPGG_design_contest [+] [View All]
He spent a fortnight on the Isle of Wight and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: suffering from a lack of time; I think it's a chronic condition.
mbmbmbmbmb
Soon the individual files will be loaded into the database here, but in the meantime I have compiled all of the entries into a zip file hosted externally (I'll delete this file once the voting period is over). You can download it now from:
http://stelio.net/games/geek/24hr2012.zip (28.3 MB)

As such, voting can begin!

In order to vote:

1 Download the files for all of the entries, and give them a good read.

2 Decide on what order you think the games should be ranked, from best to worst.

3 GeekMail your decision to me (quick link).

Voting algorithm

All registered users are eligible to vote. You can change your mind if you want by sending me an updated order of voting, but only if you do so before voting closes.

The contest will be decided by Single Transferable Vote (the same method as before). This is a voting method that is not possible (yet) using the poll functionality on this site, which is why you need to send me your votes instead. I will then count up the results in order to determine the winner.

The only information I need for your vote is a list of the games in the order that you think they should end up. You do not need to list all entries in your vote, but please list at least three entries as there are places for three winners. Listing fourth/fifth/etc. choices helps when the voting is close.

For full disclosure, I will be using the Droop quota with surplus votes reallocated through proportional allocation similar to the Gregory method.

Timeline

First deadline: Wednesday 21 November 2012
Final deadline: Monday 26 November 2012 or until Rishi's vote comes in - whichever is earlier
Voting has now closed!

There are lots of games to read, more than ever before. The voting period is longer this year as well, so there shouldn't be any problems. Just in case, I'll extend the above deadline if I think that I haven't received enough votes. If it's close to the deadline and you still need more time, let me know (by posting here) as that will affect my decision to extend the deadline.

Questions

Please ask any questions in this thread.

The vote-counting mechanism is ideally suited to this type of contest, but is complex and so I won't be surprised if there are requests for further explanation.

An answer to one important question asked in previous contests:
Please wait until voting is over before posting any reviews of the games (we want people to vote based on their own opinions and not be unduly swayed by the thoughts of others).

RESULTS THREAD: 2012 RPG Geek 24-hour Contest - RESULTS!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
R'lyeh
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2012 RPG Geek 24-hour Contest - VOTING BEGINS!
38! Whoa.

I've got a lot of reading to do. Good luck to all of the contestants!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I already skimmed through a couple at random.

Good job everyone.

I'll just accept my participation ribbon now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gray Griffin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we include our own game on the list, or just leave it out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GrayGriffin wrote:

I intend to leave my own game off the list (just something I personally don't feel comfortable with), but none of the RPGG contests forbid people from voting for themselves.

So now I have to read 37 entries? In a row?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:

You have my permission to take two breaks: between entries 12 and 13; and between entries 28 and 29.

Hop to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrayGriffin wrote:
Do vote for your own game too. I'll trust that you vote honestly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
mb laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
explanation does not equal excuse
mbmbmbmbmb
Once we have the entries in the database, will you assemble a geeklist, just for reference or should someone else do that? it would be nice to have a cheat sheet of some kind when putting together the votes (at least to look back at after reading). It might be good to make a mock plain text ballot on the thread with the names of the entries so people can c&p the names and then rank them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edige23 wrote:
Once we have the entries in the database, will you assemble a geeklist, just for reference or should someone else do that?
If you mean a list of all of the entries in a convenient format, well... they'll all be linked up to this series: 2012 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs.

And here's a plain-text list of the entry names for you:
Arclight Revelation Tianmar
As Luck Would Have It
BGG the RPG
Breathless
the City
Dead Ringers
Debrief
The Diminutive RPG
Eaten Away
Farmtopia
From Rookhaven with Love
Holiday Heroes
Homeless
The Janus Project
Men of Romance
Monocle
{MONUMENT}
Noah's Mark
No-Frills Fantasy
The Oathbreakers
One Night Only
Our Dust Earth
The Pale Forest
Philosophical Differences
Platformer RPG
Quantum Settle End
Realms of Defaultia
The Rise and Fall of Kings
Senseless Violence
Shadows of Distrust
Sins of the Confessional
Slugworld
Starring:
Storychips: Medieval Fantasy
Super Scout Squad
Theremin's Gates
We are all Star Stuff
The Wind in the Willows RPG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
explanation does not equal excuse
mbmbmbmbmb
You are both awesome and adroit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
edige23 wrote:
You are both awesome and adroit.

...he's not the adroit you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
Find the link on the microbadge below.
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I made it through the list! (I tend to be a faster than average reader.) Some very excellent game designs here! (Did you really do all that in 24 hours? Most excellent!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stelio wrote:
Do vote for your own game too...

Oh, awesome. So I will get at least 38 votes whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wood
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.accessiblegames.biz
badge
Author of Psi-punk - Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm bummed that I didn't get a chance to participate this year. I look forward to reading through these and voting on them though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flabbergasted Rhino
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
I like turtles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got everything downloaded and unzipped and gave them all a quick look before bed. So pleased to be part of this and just wanted to thank Stelio for all the hard work putting it together and also to thank everyone for their submissions and for giving me the heavy task this weekend of reading and worse trying to judge them all.

Wondering, with 38 entries, if any of you who have done this before have developed a system you employ for judging them all equally. I have a feeling that if I go on my gut from moment to moment when I have the opportunity to read a few my scores won't be very systematic. Reviewing one in the afternoon after a cheeseburger and a beer is bound to be more favourable than after some crummy cereal I've had for breakfast first thing in the morning.

The idea I'm kicking around would be points on a scale for categories such as theme, execution, mechanics, yada, yada, yada and I am wondering what anyone else has come up with for balanced reviewing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
...much that he related belonged more properly to the category of what-might-have-happened-had-I-only-thought-of-it-in-time-instead-of-ten-minutes-afterwards. Those are always the best and raciest adventures...
badge
... a picked body of Toads, known as the Die-hards, or the Death-or-Glory Toads, will storm the orchard and carry everything before them, yelling for vengeance.
mbmbmb
Flabbergasted wrote:
Wondering, with 38 entries, if any of you who have done this before have developed a system you employ for judging them all equally.

I actually don't judge them all equally. I create two desktop folders: Yes, No.

I read an entry and drop it into one folder or the other. This is based strictly on taste - it has nothing to do with quality. Since that's how I rate games that took a year to write, I see no reason to change for a game that took a day to write. The best written entry may end up in the No folder if it's something that's simply not to my taste.

Once I've done that, I then go through all the files in the Yes folder and get more objective: quality of mechanics, writing, etc. and try to rate them. Still not easy, but I've probably eliminated half the entries so it's easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Cox
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
I bought this Overtext just to say I have an UberBadge and I'm not using it
badge
Dance like no one is trying to sleep in the next room
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually use a five point rubric, though I don't remember exactly what those five points are. I think it's Theme, System, Fun, Appearance, and Clarity (or completeness?). Score them each on a zero to ten with five being average. Tally up the scores and sort. It allows me to at least give some nod toward games I wouldn't play that I can still respect would be of good quality otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flabbergasted wrote:
The idea I'm kicking around would be points on a scale for categories such as theme, execution, mechanics, yada, yada, yada and I am wondering what anyone else has come up with for balanced reviewing.
Personally, I rate based on quality of system, setting, production, and originality. Then I take a weighted average.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Cox
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
I bought this Overtext just to say I have an UberBadge and I'm not using it
badge
Dance like no one is trying to sleep in the next room
mbmbmbmbmb
Originality! That was my other item!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to level with you: (You can all despise me for this, I don't care.)
If you took the time to complain that you were (somehow) forced to compete in a 24-hour design contest, if you insulted the reader (If you don't know how to roleplay by now!), or in any way showed a degrading attitude, your game, no matter how clever, got crossed immediately off my list.
If you took the time, however, to say that you appreciated the challenge, to explain the game well even for beginners of the hobby, to apologize for what you may have gotten wrong, or in some way showed a degree of humility in your designs, even though your game may not have topped the list, I give you mad props for keeping it real. (You don't have to like it; but that's the way I did it.)
I then proceeded to look at the theme, to see if something original caught my eye. (Certain themes, I've made a vow never to waste my time with.) From there, I considered mechanics to see who came up with the most original game-play ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
XendoBreckett wrote:
If you took the time to complain that you were (somehow) forced to compete in a 24-hour design contest, if you insulted the reader (If you don't know how to roleplay by now!), or in any way showed a degrading attitude, your game, no matter how clever, got crossed immediately off my list.
If you took the time, however, to say that you appreciated the challenge, to explain the game well even for beginners of the hobby, to apologize for what you may have gotten wrong, or in some way showed a degree of humility in your designs, even though your game may not have topped the list, I give you mad props for keeping it real. (You don't have to like it; but that's the way I did it.)
I then proceeded to look at the theme, to see if something original caught my eye. (Certain themes, I've made a vow never to waste my time with.) From there, I considered mechanics to see who came up with the most original game-play ideas.

What if within the text of my RPG I did not:

1) Complain, insult, or degrade

2) Appreciate, apologize, or show humility

3) Come up with an original theme and/or mechanic?

Looks like I beat you at every point...oh wait, nevermind shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
XendoBreckett wrote:

I am going to level with you.

I am sick of games that dedicate a section to, "Here is what a roleplaying game is!" I think it's patronizing and snide. Everyone entered the contest with a different purpose and mine was to write a first draft of a game. If I ever develop the game and complete a published version, I may include a section on what a roleplaying game is, but I didn't feel like it was worth my time to include it.

So since I really really hate the "what is an RPG" section in games, how am I going to judge games that included it? It's not going to affect my decision whatsoever. Just because I felt no need to include one doesn't mean that I care if someone else does.

I keep it real by recognizing the wonderful diversity in this community. Not everyone has the same purposes and design goals. Obviously, my biases and preconceived notions are going to affect what I think of a game, but when reading entries, I'm going to be more focused on what the designer was trying to do and how well they accomplished that goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
XendoBreckett wrote:

Also, sorry for the double post.

You just admitted that you disregarded a good portion of the entries without reading them. So, why do you expect us to read yours?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
XendoBreckett wrote:

I am going to level with you.

I am sick of games that dedicate a section to, "Here is what a roleplaying game is!" I think it's patronizing and snide. Everyone entered the contest with a different purpose and mine was to write a first draft of a game. If I ever develop the game and complete a published version, I may include a section on what a roleplaying game is, but I didn't feel like it was worth my time to include it.

So since I really really hate the "what is an RPG" section in games, how am I going to judge games that included it? It's not going to affect my decision whatsoever. Just because I felt no need to include one doesn't mean that I care if someone else does.

I keep it real by recognizing the wonderful diversity in this community. Not everyone has the same purposes and design goals. Obviously, my biases and preconceived notions are going to affect what I think of a game, but when reading entries, I'm going to be more focused on what the designer was trying to do and how well they accomplished that goal.

I'm sorry, Rishi. If you misunderstood my post, let me clarify; simply skipping that section was not a complaint. (I, in fact, said very little about it in my game.) However, telling someone "I'm skipping this section because you should know by now or you really don't belong playing my game anyway," or variations of that comment, were construed as arrogance and simply don't belong in this contest.
For that matter, I did read them. (Note above post.) How would I know such comments were plentiful if I didn't?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.