The Edge of Night
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Box Set
Microscope
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
The Achilus Assault
Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying: Basic Game
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Kingdom
Call of Cthulhu (7th Edition)
Guide to Glorantha (Two Volume Set)
East Texas University
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
Designers & Dragons: The 70s
Fifth Edition Fantasy #2: The Fey Sisters' Fate
Monster Kart Mayhem
Occult Adventures
A Red & Pleasant Land
Mutant: Year Zero Card Deck
Smuggler's Guide to the Rim
Feng Shui 2
Inner Sea Monster Codex
All Flesh Must Be Eaten Revised Edition
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
141 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: ADVENTURE DESIGN CONTEST rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
Find the link on the microbadge below.
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
ADVENTURE DESIGN CONTEST

Welcome to the Adventure Design Contest! Thank you for joining us. The objective of this contest is to create an adventure that might be played using a pre-established RPG system. No slaving over mechanics here. You get the fun part! Tell an engaging story that gets the players exploring.

Duration: Design Phase Ends March 1, 2013
Playtesting/Voting: Ends March 15, 2013 (May be extended depending on number of entries)

REWARDS:
MAIN REWARD: Best RPG Adventure: 20 GG + Pool (This reward will be given at a 1/2 , 1/3, 1/6 rate.) Please donate to this post to increase the pool.
In addition, your adventure will live on in infamy as the most excellent RPG adventure ever created (during a design contest that happened in January/February of 2013 on RPGGeek. But that part stays between us.)

Regarding this contest, gmonk wrote:
Adventures will vary wildly in page count, genre and type of conflict.

This is a valid point. With this in mind, additional specific rewards may be added until the deadline of March 1, 2012. Please write a post regarding a reward you would like to suggest, and it will be added in the RESERVED spaces below. Given the rarity that designs will fill secondary design objectives, the winning designers will be given 100% of pool, unless at least 4 adventures of that type are produced, at which point, they will be treated like the Main Reward above.

Constraints: Though theme is purely up to you, the adventure must fit at least one already established Roleplaying Game. The RPG may be your own design, The Artifact, Star Travels, Steampunkfitters RPG, Dwarf Star, {MONUMENT}, Fiasco, Colors of Grey, Hollowpoint (Unofficial), Storychips: Medieval Fantasy or any Open-Game-License RPG, or creative commons RPG of your choice. This is to avoid legal issues; however, please understand the runner of this contest is not a lawyer and you may choose to design for other RPG's with your own discretion.

Your adventure may include artwork created by yourself (or your team), creative commons artwork, or artwork for which you have permission by the designer.

All work for the adventure, excluding donated artwork, must be handled by you or your team of up to 2 designers personally. (You may have the game playtested privately before submission to this design contest, though this is not a requirement. In other words, no PbF sessions may be run to test your adventure.)

Also, it has been determined that all adventures to be entered into this contest should be built during this contest. No old work should be submitted for any prize in this contest. Thanks for your understanding.

When you have finished designing, please create a PDF of the document; there is great free software available online to this end.
What I have personally found effective is a program called CutePDF that works as a printer option and can be downloaded here: http://www.cutepdf.com/ Search for the freeware version.

You may send the PDF's to adventuredesigncontest@gmail.com Please include details on any side prizes you wish to qualify for in the accompanying e-mail.

Note to all RPG designers: If you would like to offer your RPG to allow a designer to create an adventure for it, please let me know, and I will add it to the list.

Finished Entries:
Anthony Friedman
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Lance Hawvermale
United States
Ranger
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb

Ryan Macdonald
msg tools
mbmb

Emmett O'Brian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb

Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Jacob Wood
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.accessiblegames.biz
badge
Author of Psi-punk - Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb

Adventures Designed:
Anthony Friedman = 1
Lance Hawvermale = 1
Ryan MacDonald = 1
Emmett O'brian = 1
フィル = 1
Iffix Y Santaph = 2
Jacob Wood = 2
Original Dibbler = 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best RPG Adventure written in 48 hours. 20 GG + Pool. To receive this gift, you must post both your start and end times. If you would like to sweeten the pot, please add to this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Multi-System Adventure: 20 GG + Pool. On the cover of the adventure, please mark as Multi-System. A Multi-System RPG Adventure can be fit to whichever system the players choose to use. If you would like to sweeten the pot, please add to this post.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bully Pulpit Games would like to sponsor a "best Fiasco playset" category. Anyone who would like to add rewards toward this endeavor is welcome to tip this post.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best No Boundaries Open Ended Adventure, recommended by Dutys_Fist. (Excludes Fiasco playsets.) If you would like to donate toward this side-prize, please tip this thread.

We're looking for:
Dutys_Fist wrote:
Scenarios where the players aren't driven towards one or more preset outcomes throughout the course of the adventure.

Pool+20
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CHALLENGE: Best Mystery. Please feel free to donate toward this side-prize.

Pool+20
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CHALLENGE (Offered by Duty's Fist): Best game which fits into multiple side-prize categories. (This excludes the 48 hour challenge.)
Please feel free to donate toward this side-prize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regency-Rhi would like to SPONSOR a contest for best Romance Plot or Subplot in an adventure. Feel free to donate toward this side-prize.
Pool+20
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SOLO Designs. If you would like to donate toward the best game designed by 1 designer (not a team), please tip this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EmmettO would like to sponsor the best adventure written for The Artifact preferably using the 3rd Edition Beta rules. You can find the rules here.
Feel free to donate toward this side prize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(I DO NOT ENDORSE THIS POST PERSONALLY.) shake
Dutys_Fist would like to sponsor a BEST F.A.T.A.L. Adventure prize.
(I just do what I'm asked to do. Honest. It wasn't me.) whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RESERVED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh, any reason for the restriction on systems to those listed or OGL and CC?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazin wrote:

I assume this is so that anyone who finds one of the adventures interesting can play it without having to shell out for a rulebook. It makes the contest entries equally accessible to everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Bazin wrote:

I assume this is so that anyone who finds one of the adventures interesting can play it without having to shell out for a rulebook. It makes the contest entries equally accessible to everyone.

I think it's unnecessarily limiting, personally.

CoC, Savage Worlds, countless others have quickstart rules that should be suitable.

Anyway, that's my 2 on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Batten
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
Death and the dice level all distinctions.
badge
And so it goes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way to go might be to design systemless adventures.

Then there's no advantage to any game system on the basis of popularity. Removing the system from the equation puts the scenarios on a more even footing for judging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samoht Noswal
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
Would you look at all of those reserved posts?
Cant wait to sink my teeth into this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Odd - I can't find a list of CC or open license RPGs on the geek. Is there one that I'm just not seeing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn, Just Shawn
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
XendoBreckett wrote:

Note to all RPG designers: If you would like to offer your RPG to allow a designer to create an adventure for it, please let me know, and I will add it to the list.

If anyone would like to use {MONUMENT} (my last time-limit contest entry) it's fair game, but at your own risk. It's CC-BY if you want to strip the kludge off of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazin wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:
Bazin wrote:

CoC, Savage Worlds, countless others have quickstart rules that should be suitable.

The reason being legalities issues. I am uncertain how the various companies feel regarding additions to their work. So if you wish to design this way, do so at your own discretion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
XendoBreckett wrote:
Bazin wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:
Bazin wrote:

The reason being legalities issues. I am uncertain how the various companies feel regarding additions to their work. So if you wish to design this way, do so at your own discretion.

Provided you aren't copying text from their rulebooks, I see no reason why this would be an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazin wrote:
XendoBreckett wrote:
Bazin wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:
Bazin wrote:

Provided you aren't copying text from their rulebooks, I see no reason why this would be an issue.

Thank you for your input Josh. I only want to do the right thing, and I'm not entirely certain what that is. I simply don't personally desire to take the blame if someone comes after the designer of the adventure later. (I've heard some RPG designers have made some real issues in the past.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
XendoBreckett wrote:
Bazin wrote:
XendoBreckett wrote:
Bazin wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:
Bazin wrote:

Thank you for your input Josh. I only want to do the right thing, and I'm not entirely certain what that is. I simply don't personally desire to take the blame if someone comes after the designer of the adventure later. (I've heard some RPG designers have made some real issues in the past.)

That would be news to me, in all honesty (aside from our friend at Palladium). I've run two contests of this nature with no such restriction and have not had any designer come after me or any contestant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is awesome, Josh! Thanks for sharing. Perhaps I get overly nervous about these things. It's my first time doing something like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
...much that he related belonged more properly to the category of what-might-have-happened-had-I-only-thought-of-it-in-time-instead-of-ten-minutes-afterwards. Those are always the best and raciest adventures...
badge
... a picked body of Toads, known as the Die-hards, or the Death-or-Glory Toads, will storm the orchard and carry everything before them, yelling for vengeance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazin wrote:
... Savage Worlds...

It's very easy to file off the serial numbers so you can submit a Savage Worlds adventure. Follow these steps:

1. Write up the adventure using Savage World data.
2. Before submitting, change any trait levels as follows:

d4 = Mediocre
d6 = Fair
d8 = Good
d10 = Great
d12 = Superb

3. Change "Hindrance" to "Fault", and "Edge" to "Gift."
4. Submit it as a "Fudge Adventure", since Fudge is OGL.
5. Refer the readers to this post to translate it back to SW, if they want. (Though personally I think they're better off running it in Fudge since the dice curve results are better ...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.