Legacy of Dragonholt
Maze of the Blue Medusa
Gamma World: Gamma Knights
Star Trek Adventures Core Book
Petty Gods
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Masks of Nyarlathotep (5th edition)
Prince Valiant: The Storytelling Game
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Fiasco
Class Warfare
The Death Knight's Squire: A 5E Solo Gamebook
Kids on Bikes
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Prince Valiant Episode Book
Ironsworn
Fury
Fantasy World Creator
Tunnels & Trolls Rulebook (5th Edition)
Delta Green
Countdown
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Second Edition)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Toys in the Attic
Original Adventures Reincarnated #1: Into the Borderlands
Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
Eldritch Cock
Kids on Bikes (Free RPG Day Edition)
Beta Quadrant Sourcebook
Spirit of the Century
Jack's Solo Games - Goals, Stats, Sessions, Reviews, and Rambling
Recommend
32.02

This geeklist is a place for me to collect my goals, statistics, session reports, thoughts, reviews, ideas, ramblings, and conversations about the solo games I'm playing, want to play, plan to play, or are failing to play.

For much better examples, see some of my peers' lists here, here, here, and here.

I will try and keep track of at least important or interesting sessions of the games I add. And also write up preliminary thoughts or full-on reviews for games I've spent some time with.

I'll start by adding some games that I really want to play, and set some goals for those, but things will change as time goes on. I doubt I'll meet all my goals, but this is a good start for me by throwing my hat over the fence.

I have no intention of tracking everything ever. These are games that I have specific goals for for some reason. Or that I really like and want to write up session reports and reviews for. Or that I think have interesting stats to track. Or for whatever whim of a reason I come up with. I won't delete anything, but I may stop tracking stuff, and I'll definitely be adding more as we go.

Though this is mostly for my own tracking/consolidation, it's possible others could get something out of it, so feel free to participate! Just treat the items as a prompt for watercooler discussions.
Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG:Solitaire [+] [View All]
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |
1. Board Game: The 7th Continent [Average Rating:8.62 Overall Rank:11]

Remove the curse of the Voracious Goddess:
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
2. Board Game: After The Virus [Average Rating:7.41 Overall Rank:2361]
Play. Always.
Game. Zombies. Deckbuilder. Bad art. Not bad rules; seen better. Enjoy. Goals later.

Beat scenario:
1A:
1B:
1C:
3. Board Game: Airborne Commander [Average Rating:6.98 Overall Rank:3351]
COMPLETED

Christmas gift to myself. This one's on the way to me now. I just can't resist games like this. I like deckbuilders, I like the theme, I like supporting small companies.

Accept its delivery:
Play a game with missions in order:
Play a game with shuffled missions:
Earn one Medal of Honor:

3Jan2016 N Loss NA No one
3Jan2016 S Loss NA Disorganization
3Jan2016 S Loss NA Medic

Notes/Thoughts/Review:
18Dec2015: Arrived today, nice quick shipping. I like the small box. Comes with two decks of cards. Card quality is fine, about what I expected from a smaller company; it's a nice shiny card stock. I'll probably sleeve them, since they're a bit more papery than something you'd see from FFG or DoW or something. But the cards won't fit in the box once they're sleeved, unfortunately.

The rulebook is OK? Not great? It's not a hard game, rules-wise, but there's still some questions I have that the rulebook doesn't answer and a few things that don't make sense. Plus a few typos and such. Would like to finally play a game where I don't need to run to BGG for an FAQ and the rules forums.

02Jan2016: Got in my first game while the baby slept. Only one game in, so can't say I have an informed opinion other than "still willing to play it again."

Too many rules questions for such a simple game. What happens to objectives you don't engage? What are "defending units" for the purposes of the "Manor" terrains (and if all my guys are considered armored, does that just mean they're invincible since no enemy cards have anti-armor values?) What happens to terrains at the end of the turn? How do you deal with the stack of static defenses (as in, how do you engage?) In what order should cards come out of the recon pile? And on. Most of this I just did what made sense, discarding everything except static defenses each turn, treating the static defense pile as if it were just infinite more columns to the right (meaning I can engage what I want). But it's not in the damn rulebook.

Also, a message to all those people writing rulebooks: spellcheck. You don't even need to know how to spell yourself, just press the little spellcheck button and you're off to the races. This isn't handwritten and I'm assuming you didn't type up these rules on a typewriter, so use the freaking tools available to you in word processing. /rant.

The game was interesting, despite the rules issues. So far there are 3 worrying things:

1) It's a deckbuilder. And like any deckbuilder, you start with some weaker cards that you do want to get rid of. But in this game "get rid of" means "send purposefully to their death." This goes WAY against the theme, and how I would play any war game.

Sure, you might know some of boys aren't going to make it back, but you didn't send them out SPECIFICALLY to die. Because of the way the engaging mechanic works, you can just toss a crap card under an Axis tank to get rid of it and also discard (but not destroy/score) the tank.

"Culling" cards is a part of deckbuilding, "culling" soldiers just feels really wrong to me.

2) You have to beat the defense numbers with your attack numbers. Instead of match them. It just feels really off to me. If I look at the bad guy card, and he's got a 3, I feel like I need to produce 3 attack to take him out, but I don't. I need to produce 4. So the entire game you're having to mentally add 1 to everything to make sure you're killing and not being killed.

This is really minor, sure, but just about every other game like this I've played would have balanced it differently. It's a mental tax that adds up over the course of the game, and provides a place for me to screw up play and lose units because I forgot that this one game, for no reason, works differently. For a smooth playing game, you want to eliminate as many speedbumps for the player as you can, and showing them a 3 but making them have to think 4 every time is a speedbump.

3) I got a Medal of Honor on my first game. For me, a solo game needs to be difficult to have any legs. If I can just knock out Medal of Honors all day, no trouble, then I'm not likely to spend much time with this.

Could be I just got lucky, we've got an N of 1 at the moment, so I'll withhold judgement. Could be I screwed up a rule, which I'd blame on the rulebook. I'll go through the rules forums and re-read the book now and see what I may have missed.

Overall, I am very skeptically optimistic. More plays!

3Jan2016: Three more plays today. All losses. I guess my MoH last game was a bit of a fluke?

I played one more game with enemy cards in sorted order, but then stopped and don't plan to go back. It might be a bit harder when they're shuffled, but it just adds too much to pack-up/set-up time. Not worth it for me for a small quick game.

All three games I just got overwhelmed by disorganized cards. It's a slippery slope. You draw 5 cards per turn, and flip up 4 axis cards. You get disorganized cards that are dead in your hand, and the axis get terrain, static defenses, and objectives which don't cause you to draw more disorganized cards if not handled. If they get more troops than you do, you are pretty much guaranteed to draw disorganized cards. Which means in later hands you are more likely to draw fewer troops, thus having less to attack with, thus drawing even more. There's one card that lets you put one back, but you have to not commit him to a fight to do that, which means probably you're just going to draw a replacement anyway. They're basically permanent.

My third game, I took this to heart and decided I would do whatever it took to not draw cards. It started off really well, as my hands were more consistently all troops, and when the enemy had a low-troop turn I'd try and turn it into a buying turn for me. I got the Medic, the P-17, the Maquis. Things were looking up. I had about 10 points scored. I had a crazy turn where I took out two static defenses, a tank, captured an objective, and bought a card. This was all due to the heroism of my medic, who distracted the tank long enough for the P-17 to get there. He didn't make it back. And then I have no idea what happened. I remember one hand had 4 disorganized cards in it, and the enemy flipped up 4 troop cards, which lost me the game.

I find myself getting frustrated playing this instead of enjoying it. It's not the difficulty...it might be more the struggle to affect meaningful change in the game. Turn after turn there are just times when there is nothing I can do but take a disorganized card. Or there's no lineup of troops that keeps me from having my P-17 blown out of the sky. Or I save up for a big attack only to find that all the enemies are in a house and I can't actually kill any of them.

I like notoriously hard games. Space Infantry comes to mind. But in Space Infantry you feel like you're DOING something. You're moving, you're fighting, you're exploring. You're expending resources and ammo, and drawing another Hive tile. You're getting your ass handed to you, but things are happening, changing. I don't get that feeling playing AC, I just feel like I'm trudging through the mud.
{{comment.error.message}}
4. Board Game: Arkham Horror: The Card Game [Average Rating:8.26 Overall Rank:19]
Play. Always.
I went ahead and pre-ordered two sets of this. No question, really that this was going on this list, eventually.

I really enjoy the LotR LCG. I like building decks, I love the game system. I have a few minor quibbles about it, but they're...minor.

But I screwedup. I kept buying the packs, but then I never played much beyond the Khazad-dum set. More and more packs came out, I'd stock back up now and then, but didn't build decks or play.

So the situation I find myself in now is that I have hundreds of cards to build decks from and it's a bit of an overload.

With Netrunner, I did much better. Because I was running tournaments and leagues, I was playing multiple games every week. And I'd build decks at home and test them out solo and try crazy thing. What that meant was that as each pack came out I could slowly incorporate the cards from that pack into my Netrunner knowledge. And it was much easier to stay on top of it.

So that's my goal with this. I'm going to keep buying LotR cards, and eventually I will play every damn scenario in that game. I will. But for AH I'm going to play as much as I can as it comes out. I'm going to try different decks, right out of the core set, and repeatedly play the scenarios therein. And when a new pack comes out, I'm going to promise myself that I build decks with those cards, and play any scenario in it, before I get the next pack. It should be much easier to keep up with that way, and I'll get much more enjoyment out of the game without it feeling like work.

Looking forward to it, this can't come out fast enough.

Own it all:

Current Decks:
TBD
5. Board Game: Astra Titanus [Average Rating:7.23 Overall Rank:3320]
Play. Always.
I have no excuse. I've owned this for a long time. I've punched it and read the rules. I know I will love it, no question. I just haven't played it. And I just found it in a box. So up it goes.

Goals:
Open it, read the rules, come up with some goals:
Win First Encounter (with newbie rules, screw-ups allowed):

Fourth encounter with First Encounter: WIN
First encounter with Scramble!: LOSS
Second encounter with Scramble!: LOSS

{{comment.error.message}}
6. Board Game: Bios: Genesis [Average Rating:7.37 Overall Rank:1645] [Average Rating:7.37 Unranked]
Play. Always.
Though my Eklund collection is pretty much complete, there are quite a few of them I haven't played. This is one I've been waiting for for a while, and I've enjoyed the couple of multiplayer games of it I've played.

B:G is a game where you create life. You assign your bionts to areas on Earth that might be suitable for life, you try and organize the manna and enzymes together in the hopes that life can spawn. Your life has to strugle to survive, to mutate and change faster than the "Darwin rolls" can wear your life down. And, with enough luck and mutations and defense you can eventually become a marine macro organism. Then you can begin to develop organs and additional defenses in a bid to crawl out of the water and become a terrestrial organism.

It's tough. It's a survival game, for sure. I've never seen a terrestrial organism, and only one player has ever gotten a marine organism in any of the multiplayer games I've played.

The solo game is you as two players playing against two automated parasites. These parasites will attach to you as soon as they can and, they pull mutation cubes off your bacteria, meaning you can't use them to survive or make resources anymore.

Though there is a good game in here multiplayer, I'm not yet sold on how decision-heavy the solo game is. But it's still fun to play it out and see how you survive, similar to how you'd watch a game of B-17 play out. So I'd love to see some terrestrial life hit the board!

Play 3 times:
Terrestrial Win:
{{comment.error.message}}
7. Board Game: Bios: Megafauna (Second Edition) [Average Rating:8.06 Overall Rank:2265] [Average Rating:8.06 Unranked]
Play. Always.
A new Eklund game, a new item to the list.

Goals
Play enough to be able to recognize a good/stupid play (solo, two handed, or multiplayer):
Figure out the solo game:
Try the Genesis-to-Megafauna connected game:
Bribe Mer to try this:
8. Board Game: Black Orchestra [Average Rating:7.62 Overall Rank:656]
Play. Always.
Backed the second KS and this just arrived. I love the idea of a game where you work to build up over the course of the game and then get the best timing possible for one critical roll.

Kill Hitler:
Kill Hitler Again:
9. Board Game: Burgle Bros. [Average Rating:7.64 Overall Rank:198]
COMPLETED

Just played 2.5 games of this multiplayer and can't get enough. So up on the list it goes!

This is a brilliantly fun little game. It's very puzzley, you could sit and really stare at it for a long time to work out your options. It's tense, and funny, and simple to play, though the rules are a bit pants (just started working for a UK company, practicing their language).

Beat the Office Job:
Beat the Bank Job:
Play Fort Knox:

Games 1, 2, and 3

Notes/Thoughts/Review:
The game is really thematic. The art goes a long way and really helps make this feel like a heist. The effects of every room make thematic sense, and the different tools and loot are all funny and interesting. This is one of those games that evokes its theme through gameplay instead of through flavor text; it shows instead of tells.

The game is a really interesting puzzle. Though true that there are dice and decks of cards, the randomness is really quite limited and very much under your control. Yeah, you might get a bit screwed here or there from botching a roll or a bad set of rooms, but it's all overcomeable with good planning and teamwork. Every game of this that I've lost I see things I could have done that would have helped. If you pay attention to the decks, the tiles, the guard, and plan ahead and think through your options, you will often win.

I enjoyed it solo. You can apparently play with just 1 character, but I don't think I would like that. A lot of the puzzle of each turn is how to use the characters together. One character draws the guard away from another with an alarm. Or one character ducks off a floor real fast to keep a guard from moving into a bad spot. And the combinations of the character powers give people roles to play. I think much of the game would be lost with just 1 character.

And I also think I wouldn't want to pilot more than 2. Which is probably the only ding I have against the game. The game is harder with more players, and I would like to play at that level of difficulty, but I would be annoyed trying to play 3 or 4. I would lose track of turn order, forget people's powers, tools, and loot effects, and it would just be a bit too much to keep track off. That said, the Fort Knox scenario is pretty difficult even with 2, so that's probably the game I'll play from now on.

Multiplayer we instituted a house rule that you could only plan out loud with other players in your space. While thematic, the real reason is that the game is so puzzley that if everyone's discussing all possible options then the game can drag. Solo removes all those other idiots and just lets you make all your own mistakes, so I quite enjoyed the speed of the game. These were about 30-45 minute games on average.

Overall a keeper a for me. Fun multiplayer, fun solo, and the only game in my collection with this theme, while actually also being a good game.
10. Board Game: Castellion [Average Rating:7.05 Overall Rank:1281]
Play. Always.
I'm really enjoying this one, but I've only ever won at the introductory level (level 1 of 3). I've been playing a bit at level 2, but get decimated each time.

Win at least one game at level 2:
Play at least one game at level 3:

Level W/L

{{comment.error.message}}
11. Board Game: Codeword Cromwell: The German Invasion of England, 8 June 1940 [Average Rating:7.99 Overall Rank:3829]
Play. Always.
This game seemed right up my alley. Narrative, war-themed, solitaire. Paid a good bit of money to get it, then packed it up for the move and never looked back. Paid too much not to play it.

Play it:

{{comment.error.message}}
12. Board Game: Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Road to Legend [Average Rating:8.70 Unranked] [Average Rating:8.70 Unranked]
Play. Always.
I've actually gotten decent value out of my Descent stuff. I've gone through 2 full campaigns with buddies (each over one long beer-fueled weekend). I enjoy it multiplayer, and would like to see if I'd enjoy taking on the app solo.

Play the tutorial:
Decide what to do next:

{{comment.error.message}}
13. Board Game: Don't Tread On Me: The American Revolution Solitaire Board Game [Average Rating:7.91 Overall Rank:4748]
Play. Always.
After reading Mo's great report on the game, I figured I ought to pull the trigger on this wishlist lurker. I grabbed it and the Vietnam game and am starting with this on the request of other interested parties.

And because it's July 4th!

Play a full game:
Try Chris' 3-game approach:
14. Board Game: Dragonfire [Average Rating:7.67 Overall Rank:1007]
COMPLETED

I'm torn on this one. It's basic mechanics are based on one of my top 5 favorite games of ever. But its sloppy addition of new systems concerns me. I'm going to add it to the list so you all catch watch me decide, in real time, if there's any reason to play this instead of Shadowrun. So far, without yet playing it, there's not.

The first complaint is an oldie, but a goodie: the rulebook is just bad. Things are organized in weird spots. There's already errata (not just clarifications) to cards and text. There's plenty of ambiguity, even for someone who has played the crap out of Shadowrun.

As an example, in trying to explain the difference between a Round and a Scene and how it affects the Dragonfire cards/level, they actually screw it up. They explain how a Dragonfire card won't always be drawn at the start of a Round, which is false. They meant it won't always be drawn at the start of a Scene, even though at the start of the game they line up. So the one and only rule in Shadowrun that could be a little confusing, they actually make VERY confusing by botching it. That's OK, rules-writer. It's a tough rule. And it's not like it wasn't already clearly explained in the rulebook for the game that this game is based on...

The rules for locations are just all over the damn place, contradicting themselves instantly and saying things that make no sense (like "[assists can be played] even if you are not in the same environment with your character token" which doesn't make a damn bit of sense because your character token denotes the environment you are in, they can't be separate).

On top of just badly-written rules, there are also just bad rules. For example this awful set of instructions for building your market deck. You want to know the rules for building the market deck in Shadowrun? "Shuffle all the Market cards." How could anyone think this is something that ANY player would want to do?

Then you've got mess like determining the average party level and comparing that to level of the adventure and making modifiers based on that, on top of the modifiers from the adventure itself, on top of the modifiers for playing with 2-3 players, on TOP of the ADDITIONAL modifiers for playing with 2-3 players AND playing adventures below your level. So -1 from the adventure, +1 from us being higher level, and -2 from playing 2-player means we have 2 rounds with no Dragonfire card. Seriously? (Not to mention that the rules all talk about this as the Dragonfire level, which is a completely separate thing having nothing to do with how many rounds you go without drawing cards; I can see why they thought they're the same thing, but they've described two different gears whose teeth actually don't fit together, but I won't get more into that because it's about English and technical logic and it'll bore all of you probably is anyone still here?).

Most of these problems all stem from their goal of adding campaign play and character classes. You can play through a story that goes in order, and you have a character class with specific market cards and abilities just for you.

Is it worth it? Remains to be seen. The underlying mechanics of this game are based on one of my favorite games, so I know there's probably a solid game in here. But by adding things to it, and then having to design around the problems those create, they've taken what was a sleek and simple puzzle game and made a fiddly, ambiguous, sloppy mess. So if all the new stuff is kinda bad, but the base mechanics are great, what reason do I have to just not go play Shadowrun? Cause it certainly isn't the boring as hell D&D fantasy universe, I'll tell you that much.

I'll give it a fair shake. But I'm sitting here an hour before leaving for the beach for the weekend, with Dragonfire on the top of my stack of games to bring, and it is seriously taking me all the restraint I have to not just toss it on a shelf and grab Shadowrun.

As to your point below about the forums, Chris, I'm going to avoid them. Already my one rules question is being defended with "well then just don't buy expansions" when the whole POINT of the game is buy the expansions and play through a story (that's the one difference that actually matters between this and Shadowrun). It's going to be filled with people, just like the Shadowrun forum, that don't take the time to learn the game and then complain about losing. And it's going to be filled with people who finally win one because they used their brain, and talk about how much better this game is than the impossible Shadowrun. And all of these things will boil my blood. Screw it I'm bringing SR:CF to the beach, too.
2.00
{{comment.error.message}}
15. Board Game: Elder Sign: Gates of Arkham [Average Rating:7.88 Unranked] [Average Rating:7.88 Unranked]
Play. Always.
I've played with the Gates of Arkham expansion exactly one time. That one game felt more fun than all my other plays without that expansion. It finally had just enough narrative cohesion for me to feel connected.

Get Omens of Ice:

GOO W/L
Yibb-Tstll W

16. Board Game: Eldritch Horror [Average Rating:7.91 Overall Rank:47]
Play. Always.
Love this, and need an excuse to play more of it. I've got the first two expansions mixed in, so will grab the third, shuffle up, and continue the GOO slaughter. Another packed game.

Buy Strange Remnants:

Ithaqua W
Yig L
Yig L

Notes/Thoughts/Review:
Though I'll probably come around to writing a proper review, here's my first thought: I love, so far, the expansions.

I buy expansions. I pretty much just buy them all. For everything. I can't help it, I feel like I'm not playing the full game otherwise. Which is dumb, but here we are.

Usually, I don't really like expansions. They add too much extra complexity because they add tacked on mechanics that weren't streamlined into the base game. Or they adversely mess with the deck distributions (location cards in the now-huge Warfighter action deck). Or they just add to setup time and take down time and play time without giving me something that was really worth it.

I think expansions are great if you really play a game. If you play it dozens of times, have seen what it has to show you, and want an excuse to keep playing it, then expansions can help that. But if I'm honest, I cast my net wide instead of deep and I don't play many games like that (though this list is an attempt to change that somewhat, for some games [some games' goal is just: play once, so that's obviously not entirely the point]).

But I love EH expansions. There are two big and two small expansions, and so far (without having used the extra boards) there are two extra mechanics: focusing, and prelude cards. Preludes are one and done, no mental taxation there. Focusing is incredibly simple, very useful, and should have probably been a part of the base game. It's got some minor overhead (you can only have two, it's another action), but that's it!

The rest of the stuff either fleshes out decks, or adds something that you don't need to worry about because the cards will tell you what to do (unique items, for example; a whole new deck that you don't need to worry about because other cards will say "gain a unique item" and there you go).

True the two new boards add a bit, but I really love that you only use them for two preludes and two big bads. You can't use them otherwise! So you usually won't, and you're not playing a gimped version of the game by leaving them out because you HAVE to leave them out. It's not like all the extra AH boards where you could, if you wanted (and I have...), use all of them in play at once and drive yourself crazy.

Anyway, I really hope they keep it up like this and don't get weird or crazy. They've got a good thing going keeping the play simple, and I'll keep buying them if they keep making them and I can just shuffle the expansion in and go.
17. Board Game: Enemy Action: Ardennes [Average Rating:8.71 Overall Rank:1980]
Play. Always.
This was a gift to myself a while ago. One of my favorite designers tackling one of my favorite topics. I will love this game, no doubt, but I'll need to find the energy to learn it and the time to play it.

Goals:
Find the energy to learn it:
Find the time to play it:

{{comment.error.message}}
18. Board Game: Enemy Coast Ahead: The Dambuster Raid [Average Rating:7.71 Overall Rank:2914]
Play. Always.
One of my favorite games, I meant to continue my tradition of a Thanksgiving playthrough of the campaign, but this year my daughter was born instead. I want to make up for it sometime in early 2016. Will need to dig the game out of a box.

Play scenario 10:

{{comment.error.message}}
19. Board Game: Enemy Coast Ahead: The Doolittle Raid [Average Rating:8.05 Overall Rank:4117]
ohboyohboyohboyohboy

Quote:
We're writing to let you know that game Enemy Coast Ahead: The Doolittle Raid is one step closer to being completed and shipped out to you! Please note that today we charged your card for your order of 1 copies...

PLAY!:
20. Board Game: Fallout [Average Rating:7.32 Overall Rank:882]
Play. Always.
Big fan of the games and theme, and it's hard to find good adventure games. This looked unique enough for me to check out.

Beat the Commonwealth: ?
Beat the other scenarios that I don't remember the names of:
{{comment.error.message}}
21. Board Game: Field Commander: Alexander [Average Rating:7.05 Overall Rank:1890]
Play. Always.
Of all of the Field Commander games, this one just struck a chord with me that really resonated. It's simple and quick to play and gives me just enough decisions to make me happy.

A long time a go I started a This Alexander goes to 11 series. But I only finished the first scenario. Time to finish it.

This Alexander goes to 11, Volume 2:
This Alexander goes to 11, Volume 3:
This Alexander goes to 11, Volume 4:

22. Board Game: First Orchard [Average Rating:6.77 Overall Rank:2633]
Play. Always.
So, yes. This is supposed to be a list of my solo games. But I end up writing a good bit in the comments about the games I play with my kids, and my thoughts about them. So figured I'd put it in its own item and clean up the random comments a bit.

No real goals here. Just play. Tell stories. Discuss kid game design. Etc.

Owned kids games:
Fireball Island: The Curse of Vul-Kar
No Thank You, Evil!
Dinosaurs of the Lost World
Go Away Monster!

Games for me the kids could play:
ICECOOL
PitchCar

Kid game design:
Friend Ships rules
Friend Ships components
23. Board Game: Flamme Rouge [Average Rating:7.58 Overall Rank:286]
COMPLETED

Thanks Mo. Thanks for that one. All on you, buddy.

I love me a good racin' game. I honestly don't care what the speed medium is, just give me a start and a finish and some opponents. I've never watched a bicycle race in my life. But I've watched and read enough about this one that I know:

a) it's a racing game with some simple but interesting mechanics
b) it's family-friendly enough that I could get my wife to play it
c) it's got a solo-mode

And those honestly just aren't true of most racing games. So, up it goes.

Goals:

Win a race against the bots:
Play a 6-stage grand prix:

Sprinteur: Jay
Rouleur: Ryan
24. Board Game: Fleet [Average Rating:6.97 Overall Rank:709]
Play. Always.
I love Fleet as a multiplayer game, so when I saw that the expansion adds a solo option, I knew I had to grab it. I ended up buying every Fleet thing you can buy (save those damn KS cards, curse you!), so now need to get some use out of it.

Beat the solo captains:
Form an opinion on the different licenses:

Game 1

Notes/Thoughts/Review:
I really love Fleet, but the Arctic Expansion is odd. It gives you a bunch new licenses to try, but you still only ever use a few. It just says to pick the ones you want, and go. But I don't know which ones I want. It doesn't give any recommended setups or anything, and I really wish it did as that'd give me a place to start.

I would just always pick them randomly, but it's not an easy task. You have a deck of licenses which is easy enough to change, but each license requires you to use the matching boat cards. The boat deck is huge, so if you have it set up for one set of licenses, and then want to change the license mix, you have to go through the whole deck, sort out all the cards by boat, and then reshuffle the correct sets of boat cards together.

Anyway, I love the game, but I prefer expansions that have rules more like "Mix all these cards into the matching decks and then you're done."
{{comment.error.message}}
25. Board Game: Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game [Average Rating:7.10 Overall Rank:736]
Play. Always.
Just got notification that this is waiting for me at the FLGS. I don't even know what the goals are yet, I'm just so excited to get this to the table.

There are expansions. Anyone who's played this (just Chris is my guess) think any of those are particularly good for solo play?

Beat the Mob: