From the inside of the book:
"GateWar is the 3rd edition of Element Masters, (c) 1982, 1984, and is the culmination of over a decade of intensive writing, rewriting, playtesting, and editing. We are very proud of our work, and hope that you will feel, as we do, that this game is a near-perfect blend of realism and playability, detail, and pace."
From the back cover:
"GateWar is a comprehensive, believable fantasy role-playing system that introduces or enhances several concepts in the genre.
- Meta-rules add to the enjoyment and speed of play by providing improved rule harmony, making the Game-Master's role headache-free.
- All character combat and magic activities are divided into a unique 3-action phase that enhances realism yet does not become mired in technicalities.
- Open-ended rule design and complexity customization features make it easy for the GM or plalyers to do almost anything imaginable.
- Variable campaign with alternate past and future development make every GateWar game unique.
- Features over 120 of the most imaginative and fantastic creatures not found in any other game. Earning them the monicer, 'Thinking Man's Monsters' for their detail and realism."