From publisher blurb:
What kind of RPG is the DicePunk system? Great question! I love to describe it as “rules lite” compared to most traditional RPGs, but if you’re coming here from something like Fiasco or Dungeon World, well, it’s certainly a wee bit crunchier and heftier than those. So, I think I’m going to go with “rules medium”. It’s definitely not like Dungeons & Dragons or Shadowrun where you might spend precious hours just micro-managing your character’s starting gear selection. However, it’s also not a “story game” that feels more like telling a collaborative story than playing a game.
Your character will have stats, and those stats will totes matter.
The main strengths of the DicePunk System:
- Generates characters fast, fast, fast. Character generation usually takes five to ten minutes for experts, and a half hour or so for newbies.
- Only uses six sided dice, and doesn’t require a ton of them.
- Core mechanics are simple and easy to grok, but enough options exist for moderate to high tactical depth in combat.
- Fights are fast and visceral, with small skirmishes easily resolved in half an hour, and even bigger battles (within reason) typically going down in an hour or less.
- No set character classes, so every character is that much more unique.
- Rules allow for the easy creation of custom Skills, allowing players to define exactly the character they want, mechanically and narratively.