From [ Wikipedia entry]:
Samuel Scott (1702 – 12 Oct 1772) was a British landscape painter known for his riverside scenes and seascapes.
Scott was born in London, and began painting around 1720, specalising in naval battles and depictions of ports. From 27-31 May 1732 he made a celebrated "Five days' Peregrination" in the Isle of Sheppey in company with William Hogarth and others. An account of their trip was written by Ebenezer Forrest and published in 1782, illustrated with drawings by Hogarth and Scott.
In the 1740s, Scott produced a series of paintings on the River Thames as it flowed through London. Between 1761 and 1771 he exhibited three works at the Society of Artists, one at the Free Society of artists, and one, "A View of the Tower of London", at the Royal Academy in 1771. He was one of the early draughtsmen in watercolours, and was called the father of English watercolour, but his chief works were in oil. Some of Scott's most celebrated paintings were his depictions of scenes during the War of Jenkins' Ear.
Scott earned a considerable and well-deserved reputation for his shore and river scenes, which were well-drawn and painted, and enlivened with figures, some of which were supplied by Hogarth. Horace Walpole (who had a large collection of his works) said that they "will charm in every age" and that "if he was second to Vandeveldt in sea pieces, he excelled him in variety." His views of London Bridge, the Custom-house Quay, and other pictures of the Thames earned him the name "the English Canaletto". William Marlow was one of his pupils.
He lived at Twickenham, but retired to Bath, where he died in Walcot Street, of gout, in October 1772, leaving an only daughter. His collection of drawings, prints etc., was sold by Langford in January 1773.
Amongst his pupils was animal painter Sawrey Gilpin (1733–1807).