The Adventurers League contains several distinct types of scenarios:
- DDEX - D&D Expeditions/DDAL - D&D Adventurers League - These are short, two-to-eight hour adventures that are associated with a given season’s main storyline. They are typically set in a single location based on the season and span multiple tiers.
- DDEP - D&D Epic Adventures - These are epic adventures that require two or more tables to play simultaneously, and generally have an element in them that allows the tables some degree of interaction with one another. They frequently have higher-than-average rewards but can be much more difficult than the DDEX/DDAL adventures.
- DDAO - D&D Authors Only - These are adventures that only the author can run; the authors are all D&D Adventures League administrators or other employees of Wizards of the Coast.
- CCC - D&D Convention-Created Content - These adventures are produced by independent organizations for use at local conventions. While they are initially exclusive to the convention that commissioned their production, they are required to be made available for general purchase within six months of their initial release. CCC adventures do not count towards any DM Quests involving DD-series adventures.
- DDIA - D&D Introductory Adventures - These introductory adventures support the release of hardcover Wizards of the Coast product releases. If the product in question is an adventure, then the introductory adventure is typically a short adaptation of a single chapter from that product. Otherwise, the introductory adventure is an original adventure that utilizes new content from a non-story product.
- Hardcover Adventures. These adventures are officially produced and published by Wizards of the Coast. Not all of them have actual hardcovers (see e.g. DDAL-CGB: Cloud Giant's Bargain).
- Other Content. Sometimes weird things happen (e.g. PAX West) and additional content is made available for Adventurers League Play. As a general rule, if it is produced by Wizards of the Coast or the Adventurers League staff and bears the Adventurers League logo, it counts.
Adventurers League scenarios generally are divided into eight play seasons, each season anchored by a commercial hardcover:
- Season 1 - DDEX01 - Tyranny of Dragons (Hoard of the Dragon Queen, The Rise of Tiamat)
- Season 2 - DDEX02 - Elemental Evil (Princes of the Apocalypse)
- Season 3 - DDEX03 - Rage of Demons (Out of the Abyss)
- Season 4 - DDAL04 - Curse of Strahd (Curse of Strahd)
- Season 5 - DDAL05 - Storm King's Thunder (Storm King's Thunder)
- Season 6 - DDAL06 - Tales From the Yawning Portal (Tales from the Yawning Portal)
- Season 7 - DDAL07 - Tomb of Annihilation (Tomb of Annihilation)
- Season 8 - DDAL08 - Waterdeep (Waterdeep: Dragon Heist)
There also is an atypical, concise play season offered (roughly) between Season 7 and Season 8, and set in Eberron:
- DDAL - Embers of the Last War
There also are two major "season agnostic" groups of adventures - these may be available only for a limited duration or geographical locale:
- CCC - D&D Convention-Created Content
- DDAL00 - Season-Agnostic Adventures
Note that a tremendous amount of third-party materials have been produced for each play season; often these are marketed with similar titles, covers, and so forth, in an effort to conflate them with the official play season products and titles - caveat ludio.
Note - in the "Linked Items" box under the "Relationship:" drop-down, select "RPG Series" to review the storyline series associated with this family.