A community published set of PDFs, The Gates of Hell attempts to take a fresh look at the Nine Hells. The designer Serge Desir, Jr. stated his motivation for the massive document was to form a cohesive meld for the Nine Hells from core (levels 1 to 20), epic and divine rules as well as a coherent cosmology which honors three editions of D&D.
The Gates of Hell touches on most aspects of the hells from the lowly fodder to infernal nobility and from mortal servitors to immortal souls.
The document is made up of 9 PDFs which are broken down by chapter as follows:
- Chapter 1 - Beyond the Gates of Hell (19 pages)
- Chapter 2 - Forbidden Magic (18 pages)
- Chapter 3 - Prestige Classes of Perdition (50 Pages)
- Chapter 4 - Devils for Dicefreaks (30 pages)
- Chapter 5 - Powers of the Pit (38 pages)
- Chapter 6 - The Dark Ministry (65 pages)
- Chapter 7 - The Dukes of Hell (58 pages)
- Chapter 8 - The Arch-Devils (59 Pages)
- Chapter 9 - The Lords of the Nine (121 pages)
The Gates of Hell was nominated for an ENnie in 2006.