From the publisher's website:
Spending character points on permanent abilities is wonderful – but it doesn't guarantee that the dice will be nice. Sometimes, you don't want to leave the story to the mercy of random rolls! To solve this problem, GURPS Fourth Edition offers the alternative of players using points to buy successes and influence the game world. GURPS Power-Ups 5: Impulse Buys takes this idea and runs with it, collecting all previously published rules for spending points on in-play outcomes, clarifying and expanding them, adding new possibilities, challenging the basic concept of points, and offering guidance on how to tailor everything to your campaign.
Power-Ups 5: Impulse Buys is an exhaustive study of escaping the mindset that character points are for keeps and only the GM has a say in the story. Highlights include:
- Buying Success. Influence success rolls, damage rolls, rolls on tables, and more – up to and including avoiding "nuisance rolls."
- Player Guidance. Alter setting and plot, obtain cash and favors, and seek divine intervention . . . for a price.
- Survival. Deflect injury, infirmity, and even death for both yourself and your Allies.
- Amazing Feats. Use points to push your abilities past their limits to pull off combat tricks, high-powered magic, and super-stunts, and even to make permanent changes in the world.
- New Kinds of Points. Learn about splitting character points into multiple categories – not to mention Destiny Points, Impulse Points, Serendipity Points, and Wildcard Points.
- Shaking the Foundations. Revisit where points come from, where they go, and whether you even need them.
- And Much More. Bids and wagers with points? Karma? Bullet Time? It's all here!
If you've ever felt that character points should do more than buy skills and Hit Points, or yearned to adapt points-for-outcomes systems from other RPGs, then you'll find Power-Ups 5: Impulse Buys refreshing and useful!
Power-Ups 5: Impulse Buys requires only the GURPS Basic Set, Fourth Edition.