From publisher blurb:
Ooh, Shiny! – Bardic Instrumagic does away with all of the unnecessary bits and delivers exactly what the player wants: more options for the greatest modular class in core Dungeons and Dragons! For too long, the bard has simply run around singing whatever song comes to mind using whatever instrument is at hand. With Bardic Instrumagic, the bard's choice of instrument truly matters!
Bardic Instrumagic is a second layer of musical specialization that sits upon the bard’s choice in instrument, not in song selection, thus allowing a level of differentiation that is not mutually exclusive to other layers already in existence. Whether the bard plays a trumpet, lute, drum, or clarinet now matters because each taps into the primal sources of the magic of music, the human psyche and the natural world, in a different way, thus giving the bard access to different instrumagic.
This issue of Ooh, Shiny! includes 20 consumable wondrous items, 5 in each of 4 instrument categories, that pair with certain musical instruments to create some rather spectacular effects!
Brass - teamwork and heroism
- Camaraderie - bonuses based on promixity to allies
- Excellence - +1 to Inspire courage
- Glory - temporary hit points that only last while the bard sings
- Steadfastness - remove fear
- True Grit - Diehard
Drums - primal strength and bloodlust
- Bloodlust - damage increase that scales with damage taken
- Cacophony - sonic bursts centered on the bard
- Intimidation - morale bonus to Intimidate
- Invulnerability - DR 1/-
- Tremors - localized tremor causes creatures to fall prone
Strings - transient side of nature, the fae
- Gale - strong winds slow those who charge the performer
- Misdirection - morale bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Sense motive
- Nebulousness - the stuff of clouds obscures allies
- Storms - additional electric damage to allies' attacks
- Swiftness - allies' base speed is increased
Woodwinds - eternal side of nature, water
- Endurance - morale bonus to Concentration and Heal
- Persistence - morale and resistance bonuses to saving throws
- Refreshment - allies recall first level spells or recover hit points
- Reprieve - suppresses fatigue, exhaustion becomes fatigue
- Restoration - allies gain fast healing 1
Ooh, Shiny – Bardic Instrumagic is an OGL licensed supplement for 3rd edition D&D and is compatible with both 3.5 and The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.