From the publisher:
A Spire to Godliness
The church: so central to medieval times, it can be difficult to grasp today. Communities poured great resources into monuments built in awe and fear of God. Now perhaps viewed as stone skeletons from a pious past, cathedrals were the most impressive structures of their era . . .
GURPS Locations: St. George's Cathedral presents a grand example of such an imposing edifice. Though fictitious, it is based on fact and suitable for use in any place and time that can call its Gothic corridors home. Open these pages and you shall:
- Explore the immense structure from crypt to roof, discovering the artwork, relics, and other contents of each room. Detailed maps (including variants that preserve this site's secrets) present all of the features mentioned in the descriptions, while GURPS stats spell out the challenges faced by visitors bent on unscrupulous entry.
- Learn key details about the community that supports the cathedral, including local political problems and prominent people. A map shows the church's location relative to other significant buildings in its vicinity.
- Become acquainted with notable priests, lay workers, and other locals who might be found at St. George's. Discover why the church is often the perfect meeting place.
- Unearth a dozen adventure ideas involving the cathedral, plus several lenses to customize the locale to different campaign styles and settings – whether as a place of power, a modern-day curiosity, or a despoiled former jewel.
- Peruse an extensive list of inspirational resources that can provide GM and players alike with more information about church architecture, religion in the Middle Ages, fitting fictional plots, and specific real-world cathedrals.
Lightning flashes, illuminating the silhouettes of the gargoyles perched on the edge; their stony faces betray no emotion as they await your visit to St. George's Cathedral. Will entry bring your heroes closer to the divine . . . or remind them of their own insignificance amid the endless echoes?