From publisher blurb:
It Gets Dark in Rotwang City
Masked heroes in a pulp-Noir action role playing game set in the superbly satisfying city of Rotwang...where mistakes are paid for in blood.
Become a two-fisted, double barrelled vigilante in this one-of-a-kind city. The right path is not always clear, the villains are much darker here and the heroes are tarnished. You'll have to keep your guard up to stay ahead of a bullet, a sledge hammer, or a drive-by. Explore a city that is alive with portent and consequences; a city that has personality all it's own. Its always dark in Rotwang City...and usually raining.
Set against the backdrop of 1933, the Great Depression is at its height, prohibition has just been repealed, and vice is spilling out onto the streets. Crimes are underway with reckless abandon, and bodies are popping up in the Chatham-Jordan River on a regular basis. Pit yourselves against the Knaves (criminal aristocrats of old money descent), the Industrial Raiders (willing to destroy anything and everything for profit), the Gangsters (who are taking over the mean streets of the city), and the criminal masterminds like Iron Shroud, Mahjongg, Mister Crow, and Opera Clock. Viewed as much of a criminal as the fiends you pursue, the law is always a few steps behind you. Be careful looking for help there. Corruption is as common in Rotwang City as saltine crackers.
Aside from the day-to-day danger of crime and corruption; watch out for the supernatural and scientific dangers that also plague this city. There are zombi, beast-freaks, bug-eyed aliens, demons, dinosaurs, giant alligators, robots with a human brain, swamp apes, witch doctors, or a cacophony of other delicious dangers.
- Complete game rules are included. This system is run on the lightning fast, and quick to learn Bare Bones rules. You only need two six-sided dice to play.
- 20 Archetypes including: Action Spy, Aristocratic Detective, Bare Knuckled Battler, Captain of Industry, Dragon Lady, Eagle-eyed Reporter, Femme Fatale, Technological and Mystic Gadgeteers, Gang Buster, Grim Guardian of Justice, Jungle Lord, Lone Hero, Mad Scientist, Mystic Aristocrat, Shadow of Justice, Sidekick/Companion, Supernatural, Tough Detective, and Treasure Hunter.
- Detailed map of Rotwang City, including the E-Train lines.
- Complete equipment list covering archaic and modern weapons; ray guns and technological weaponry is also available.
- A common equipment list including actual prices from 1933.
- 24 Heroes and Villains ready to go.
- Over 70 every day "Johnnie and Jane" citizens of the city.
- 151 Story hooks just to get you started.
- A complete pulp encounter section.
- ... and the full length introductory adventure
Just to keep you educated about Pulp-Noir gaming in Rotwang City, we have included a lengthy discussion detailing the rules of noir and the rules of pulp; and which features of each a successful adventure should contain. There is a lot more to noir than shadows and gangsters.