Some traditional fantasy wizards learn their art as apprentices to archmages, some attend formal academies, and still others are guided by philosophies rather than teachers. This influences what spells and tricks of the trade the magic-user learns, and what guild, brotherhood, or order he eventually joins. Two equally talented mages might master specialties so different that they have little more in common with each other than with non-wizardly spellcasters such as clerics and shamans.
GURPS Magical Styles: Dungeon Magic aims to bring such depth to GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. It applies the rules and guidelines in GURPS Thaumatology: Magical Styles to cook up seven sorcerous societies that suit any dungeon-delving campaign:
- The Fluidists, easygoing philosophers who seamlessly merge air, water, and movement magic into a unified "flow."
- The Guild of Iron Mages, conservative guildsmen whose magic complements skill at forging and wielding weapons of war.
- The Old School, secretive traditionalists adept at curses, necromancy, and other black magic.
- The Order of the Sun, masters of big-bore magical devastation . . . meaning anything that burns or explodes!
- The Sisters and Brothers of Echoes, peaceful idealists who use magic to promote the arts and brotherhood.
- The Tower of Pentacles, wisdom-seeking thaumatologists with the thankless job of maintaining the magical balance.
- The Wizards of the Mirrored Gaze, enchantresses and illusionists out to bend society to their power-hungry will.
Each group comes with a magical style, unique spells and materials, and design notes explaining everything. But that's not all! You also get a great deal of additional color (views, alliances and rivalries, regalia and armaments, and more) and a character template suitable for use in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy or any high-powered fantasy. Just the thing for gamers who want to avoid "cookie-cutter" wizards, add wizardly politics to their adventures, or run an all-wizards campaign!
this expands GURPS Thaumatology: Magical Styles