From the PDF
Tales from the Wild Blue Yonder: Chapter III
Lord Scurlock is dead. His estranged children have returned home to Ilysium for the funeral and disbursement of the estate.
However — There is little left; the manor servant, Jedmund, has collected the last 82 crowns in a small coffer, and with it only a shabby coach and two withered horses, the family crest and swords, a portrait of a strange woman, and Lord Scurlock’s prized hunting rifle (hidden away from prying eyes).
The other attendees at the funeral are Lord Scurlock’s creditors. They hover about the manor like vultures, eager to recoup some measure of their losses.
- Viceroy Skein has come to collect his bribe for withholding certain unpleasant facts from public knowledge. He expects the children to continue the payments. He is owed 14 crowns and 5 crowns per month ongoing.
- Narcus Kerp is owed for delivery of “medicines” that helped ease the tortured mind of Lord Scurlock in his final years. He is owed 6 crowns.
- Constable Tume is soliciting the tax payment on the manor. 67 crowns.
- Mister Bailey of the Fox & Anchor kindly asks for the stable fees for the coach and horses: 11 crowns for the past six months.
- Mister Plom demands the regular “protection” payment to the local goblin crime boss, Kudger. 1 crown per week (you owe 16 already).
- Magistrate Holpine, a city judge, discreetly informs you that Lord Scurlock owes him certain trivial deeds and paperwork as a result of a gentleman’s wager on a game of cards. It will take but a moment to retrieve them from the study.
- Milvoy Ollum, the priest who is about to perform the rites, is due 1 gold crown for his service.
- Petrice Sevoy, the esteemed artist, is completing a portrait of Lord Scurlock and lacks only the final payment of 2 crowns to deliver it.
In Addition — Lord Scurlock’s half-brother, Alward, is snooping about the house, looking to claim anything that looks valuable. “My brother would have wanted me to have this,” he mumbles.
Who will they pay? Who decides?
What entanglements remain from Lord Scurlock’s nefarious life, and who will turn them to their advantage?