A million years from now, humanity has spread across the galaxy and taken countless forms. Vast empires have come and gone like the cresting of waves. But some strange voyagers chose to remain outside the churn of civilizations, pursuing a greater purpose. When a new force comes to the galaxy, will these eternal wanderers remain who they are--or, at long last, change?
Archives of the Sky is a tabletop storytelling game with an epic sci-fi backdrop and a focus on very human stories. No gamemaster or advanced preparation is required. You and some friends will collaboratively create a great House, a group of interstellar wanderers with a set of inviolable core beliefs--and then, like any good storytellers, threaten those beliefs with a conflict that pits those beliefs against each other.
This download contains the basic rules of Archives with simple formatting. A full-color book with art, examples, idea prompts, and more is coming soon!
- Epic sci-fi stories on a grand scale, in a galaxy you create at the table
- 3-6 players collaborate to create Episodes of around four hours each
- GM-less, story-focused rules in the tradition of games like Microscope, Downfall, and Fiasco
- Create a deck of words from your favorite sci-fi novels, and draw from it when you need inspiration or a random outcome
- Play meta-roles like the Epic and the Intimate in addition to your character, focused on making the story breathtaking and huge in scope, or keeping it grounded in sensory details and emotion
- Use tokens to threaten Values which the developing plot connects two, eventually positioning two Values within a Dilemma that puts them into conflict
- Supports one-off or campaign play