From publisher blurb:
The Microlite81 Complete Digest/Epub Edition is based on the Basic and Expert (B/X) boxed sets of the world's most popular fantasy roleplaying game published in 1981. This game takes the popular B/X version of the game and recreates it using the rules-lite Microlite20 version of modern D20 system. You get all the advantages of the B/X system with a more modern set of rules. In other words, Microlite81 Complete is a conversion of the B/X rules to a rules-lite D20-based system that encourages old-school play without strictly old-school rules. The Microlite81 system does for B/X what Microlite74 did for 0e: provides easy to learn and use modern rules that can used to play old adventures designed for the B/X system (or the many new adventures created by OSR publishers) with very little conversion effort required -- general little more than converting the descending AC used in old adventures to the modern ascending AC (and yes, how to do this is explained in the rules).
Unlike most Microlite74/Microlite78/Microlite81 games, Microlite81 Complete is a complete game with complete descriptions of spells, monsters, and magic tems instead of the short one or two sentence descriptions most of these games provide. There are even examples of play and information for the GM on how to create dungeons and wilderness areas. Unlike many other RetroRoleplaying.com games, Microlite81 Complete does not assume an experienced GM who has access to better descriptions of spells, monsters, and magic treasure in the SRD or in other old school books.
Note: This digest/epub version of Microlite81 Complete includes some new and revised material not included in the free "condensed type" version -- including 25 new monsters.
Microlite81 Complete includes everything one needs to play except dice and paper. The 380+ page illustrated digest-sized rulebook -- designed for easy reading on tablets -- includes:
- Simple Character Creation Rules: Roll 4 attributes and select a class, and alignment (and background if using the Extended Rules Set).
- Standard B/X Classes: Fighter, Magic-User, Cleric, Thief, Dwarf, Elf, Halfling
- Two short sets of "core" rules: standard and extended. The standard rules are less complex while the extended rules incorporate many of the author's house rules.
- Extended rules include backgrounds which provide a simple and fast way to factor in a character's culture and non-class-related a abilities without needing lists of skills and a complex skill system.
- Simple and fast-playing combat system -- which tracks physical damage (aka body points) separately from luck/skill/fatigue (aka hit point) damage if the extended rules are used.
- Hit points recover with a night’s rest. Actual wounds recover more slowly. As in most Microlite20-based games, spells cost hit points to cast. (Optional rules for more standard "fire-and-forget" magic are included for those who prefer "Vancian" magic.)
- Rules for hirelings, monster reactions (not every monster wants to fight), morale (not every monster fights to the death), strongholds, magic research, and more.
- Optional rules for character advantages and disadvantages, character goals and personality traits, fire-and-forget magic, traditional saving throws, psionics, divine intervention, and more
- A complete list of spells, monsters, and treasure with detailed descriptions and random tables for monsters and treasure..
- Compatible with most other B/X or BECMI based games and adventures: both old and new
- This tablet/epub edition of Microlite20 Complete includes 25 new lower level monsters and a few additional rules sections not included in the free version of Microlite81 Complete.
This is the digest/epub version of Microlite81 Complete. You receive two files: a standard pdf and an epub file. The digest-sized pdf is suitable for printing or for easy reading on a tablet. Unlike the "pay what you want" version of Microlite81 Complete, this pdf is formated in a single column and uses a larger typeface to make it easier to use on a tablet.
An epub version of Microlite81 Complete is also included, although the formatting is not nearly as nice as in the pdf version. Note that Microlite81 Complete contains tables and many epub readers display tables in a single column unreadable mess. Epub reader software designed to display epub3 files usually have no problem with the tables. Calibre displays this epub file well on Windows PCs and Gitden reader displays it fine (if slowly) on android. There is an IOS version of Gitden Reader for Apple devices, but it has not been tested. Note that tables in epub files do not adapt well to small screen devices.
Microlite81 games are trimmed-down miniature versions of the Primary Fantasy SRD rules designed to be quick and easy to play, especially when compared to modern incarnations of the game. Just as the goal of our Microlite74 games is to recreate the style and feel of "0e", the goal of Microlite81 games is to recreate the style and feel of the “B/X” edition of the world’s first fantasy roleplaying game published back in 1981 without giving up all of the clearer mechanics of modern D20-based versions.