From publisher blurb:
The OLDSKULL MONSTER GENERATOR is the ultimate random monster creation tool, created specifically for both the Fifth and First Editions (5E, 1E) of the world’s first and foremost Fantasy Role-Playing Game (FRPG). Rules and guidelines are provided for both editions.
This colossal page compendium contains the largest, most comprehensive, and most ambitious monster creation system ever devised. If you feel that your game might be suffering from a lack of variety in monsters and encounters; if you want straightforward help and guidance in refining your own monster concepts; or, if you just want to inject some old school Gygax-inspired, Arnesonian, and Lovecraftian atmosphere into your modern FRPG, then this is the perfect resource for you. Tap into the chaos, fear and madness of the Elder Things to animate, twitch and galvanize your game!
The OLDSKULL MONSTER GENERATOR is actually a complex set of interrelated monster customization systems. These systems follow the unifying principle of guided randomness, ensuring that your monster is otherworldly, but also that it makes sense and fits perfectly into your structured game world. You can selectively pick and choose from the worksheets and various tools provided herein to supplement your own unique method of monster design. Or, you can enjoy a guided and example-driven mentorship approach, which will lead you through all of the principles of monster creation, encounter development, and campaign integration from beginning to end.
Herein, to assist the harried Game Master (GM), you will find:
- POWER: Complete rules for creating any kind of monster (Abomination), from CR 0 to 30 (or old school monster levels I to X). The variety of the monsters you can create is virtually infinite.
- OPTIONS: Over 260 articulated Abomination body types to inspire your brainstorming and the creation of ever more bizarre monstrosities. Everything from worms to octopi to centaurs are included.
- ARSENALS: Nearly 700 unique monster abilities, quirks, and vulnerabilities, arranged into 30 monstrous themes, from Acidic to Water / Aquatic and everything in between.
- MATRICES: Interconnected systems to generate monster descriptions, senses, languages, alignment, movement, ability scores, hit points, armor class, and basic and special attacks. All you need are percentile dice and imagination.
- CULTISTS AND MADMEN: Extensive guidelines for monster summoners, binders, worshippers, cultists, and minions.
- NEW HORIZONS: Suggested rules for monstrous events including otherworldly rituals, madness, parley, trophy harvesting, adventurer resurrection, and journeys to the campaign-widening Dream Worlds.
- DARK HUMOR: A Lovecraftian glossary of over 300 obscure adjectives and evocative terms, hungrily palpitating for your rugose and squamous delectation.
- LAVISH QUOTES AND ILLUSTRATIONS: This volume was made to honor and celebrate the golden age of fantasy and weird fiction, and features many quotes from the masters (Dunsany, Lovecraft, Machen, Poe, Verne, Wells, and so forth). It also feature dozens of haunting masterworks from artists old and new.
- And much more!