From publisher blurb:
Protection at Any Cost!
Intrigue is a staple of the fantasy genre, and many players and GMs are drawn to the idea of a grand campaign of political intrigue, in which the players face the dangers of scheming politicians, backstabbing assassins, high-society soirees, and similar trials, instead of the usual drudging through moldy old dungeons, killing things and taking their stuff. A proper political drama or heist adventure can be hard to run and even harder to write, but perhaps the hardest is for players to get in the appropriate mindset, and deal with their problems with finesse, rather than a blunt weapon. One thing that can help players get in the mood—and get themselves an edge—when it comes to intrigue is having an archetype that kits their preferred class out a bit more for the type of adventure they’ll be playing. Each installment of Weekly Wonders: Archetypes of Intrigue presents six new archetypes tied to a particular role common in intrigue adventures.
For this book, we focus on archetypes of bodyguards. Although it may not be the most glamorous kind of work, bodyguards have an important place both in plots and intrigues, and in the typical dungeon environment adventurers often frequent. It is the bodyguards who ensure that their friends, allies, and employers remain alive and protected long enough to do what it is that they do: without their trusty protectors, such endeavors would always end in death and tragedy. Each of the archetypes in this book focus on the ability to protect allies from one or more types of harm. This book includes the following archetypes:
- The poison taster, an alchemist archetype that can brew defensive concoctions, detect poison, and create distracting smoke bombs.
- The Varangian guardian, a barbarian archetype with an intuitive sense for danger, and the ability to intercept attacks aimed at nearby allies.
- The spiritual advisor, a mesmerist archetype that protects his allies minds, rather than their bodies, helping them to shake off and resist mental control.
- The security consultant, a rogue archetype that deals less damage but debilitates her foes, can share her evasion with nearby allies, and gains access to special security-focused rogue talents.
- The sentinel binder, a summoner archetype whose life link is shared with a single creature he designates as his ward.
- The vigilant defender, a vigilante archetype that can intercept attacks, prevent nearby creatures from dying, and easily serve as a decoy to his ward.
- Plus a bonus archetype, the guardian witch, a witch archetype who can form a special bond with a single ward she protects, in place of a normal familiar.