From publisher blurb:
Free Your Mages!
Alternate Paths: Martial Magic is all about mixing magic and martial! We’ve got new magic/martial classes, feats to allow mages to have more fun, and so much more!
Overview: 8 new classes (6 base, 2 hybrid),13 subsystems/alternate rules, 9 support feats, 8 general feats (including a style for mages!), and 4 metamagic feats.
- Beast: Magical soldiers who gain permanent spells as “augmentations” as they level up.
- Cannoneer: Magical field artillery with disgustingly powerful arcane field cannons!
- Curse-Wielder: Flip the script on a cursed item! Turn your pestilence into a pleasure!
- Esper: Empathic champions who can hear the collective unconscious! Part psychic-paladin, part support character, but all front-line combatant!
- Inquisitorial Scholar: An inquisitor / alchemist hybrid that focuses on monster hunting, bypassing enemy weaknesses, and studying creatures! Uses extracts and extracts sweet revenge on foes they’ve crossed before!
- Maghamir: Cavalier / magi who fly on magic carpets, belong to great fleets, and are daring, acrobatic explorers!
- Sagebeast: Magic users who seal powerful monstrous humanoids (and related creatures) within themselves. Half the time they are mages but once they run out of magic... the beast gets unleashes and they become full on feral fighters!
- Shujaa: Martial mages who can only cast abjuration magic due to a process known as “cresting”. So in tune with abjuration magics are they that they manifest a powerful magical shield!
Each section has rules for adding new things to the game or allowing mages new options. Each section comes with rules on how to implement it, balance concerns, and to keep things balanced.
- Battle Mages
- Charging Spells
- Component Bypass
- Cosmic Magic
- Critical Spells
- Gestalt Play & Magic Knights
- Metamagic Weapons
- Spells as Attacks of Opportunity
- GM Advice on Swapping Spell Lists
- Physical Casting Modifiers
- Universal Spell Combat
- Mana System: An extensive system for reducing the complexity of spellcasting.