It is narrated by none other than Ulraunt, the Keeper of Tomes at Candlekeep, and also supports epic level play (as introduced in Epic Characters).
Here is a summary of what you will find:
- Detailed overviews of three prominent Shadowfell locations: Gloomwrought, Evernight, and Thultanthar, as well as a description of the Fugue Plane.
- Five Domains of Dread, each with a tragic story tied to a specific Darklord.
- Statblocks for two powerful elder evils and five well-known deities, complete with lair actions, roleplay guidance, as well as Ulraunt’s own narration of their backstories!
- Four thematic playable races.
- Fifteen unique subclasses, including flavor tables to tie your character to aspects of the Plane of Shadow.
- Over 40 new spells, giving a taste of what arcane secrets lie hidden in the darkest corners of the world.
- Over 140 new stat blocks for monsters and NPCs native to the Shadowfell, the Fugue Plane, or a Domain of Dread.
- A monster-generation table intended to help guide the creation of your own CR 30+ monsters (all the way to CR 45), as well as sidebars to help guide creation of deities and avatars.
- And lots more including unique creature templates, maps, random encounter tables, and notes from other prominent readers of this tome (such as Elminister Aumar).
- Besides the book itself, you will also find a zip folder containing handouts for your players, as well as a document with links to several surveys regarding the contents of the book.