From publisher blurb:
Rifts is a multi-genre role-playing game that captures the imagination unlike any other. Elements of magic, horror, and the supernatural co-exist with science, high technology and the ordinary. The game spans countless dimensions, making anything and everything possible. Players are truly limited only by their imaginations!
Rifts Ultimate Edition is a completely rewritten and updated version of the original game played and enjoyed by an estimated 1.5 million gamers.
Not exactly a Second Edition, because most of the rules remain unchanged, Rifts Ultimate Edition is expanded and improved. There is more world information, tips on how to use the time-line and World Books, rewrites on O.C.C.s, and in some cases, expansions of and more details on O.C.C.s such as the Headhunter, Mercenaries, the Techno-Wizard and Shifter, as well as a few new O.C.C.s. Our goal was to make Rifts more exciting and compelling than ever, while at the same time making the rules better organized, clearer and easier to use. The wonder and infinite possibilities of Rifts all brought to pulse-pounding life like never before. Of course, there are a few fun changes and additions, but nothing so dramatic as to make the 40+ available sourcebooks obsolete.
- Approximately 30 unique Occupational and Racial Character Classes, including Cyber-Knights, cyborgs, Glitter Boys, Psi-Stalkers, Dog Boys (mutant humanoid dogs), Juicers, Crazies, Techno-Wizards, Ley Line Walkers, Mystics, Shifters, Elemental Fusionists, Mind Melters, and many others.
- Supernatural and magical creatures, like dragons, available as player characters, others are horrifying menaces from the Rifts.
- Bionics and cybernetics offer a vast range of mechanical augmentation, meanwhile chemical enhancement (Juicers) and brain implants (Crazies) can turn a human into a superman, though with tragic results.
- Psychic powers are the source of the Burster, Mind Melter and Mystic’s abilities.
- Strange forms of magic are at the command of characters like the Ley Line Walker, Shifter, Elemental Fusionist, Rifter and Techno-Wizard (who combines magic and technology).
- Super-technology with Mega-Damage body armor, energy weapons, rail guns, power armor, and human augmentation.
- The Coalition States. Humankind's salvation, or its own worst nightmare?