Winter wolves are the terrors of the tundra, perfectly adapted to their wintry environment. Though wearing the form of a simple animal, the winter wolf's cunning and intellect approaches that of humankind, making these creatures far more dangerous than their physical appearance would indicate.
Built like a common wolf and yet standing taller than the fiercest dwarven warrior, a winter wolf is equally at home in the snow-laden wastes of the deep arctic or the towering heights of jagged, windswept mountains. During the heaviest blizzard, when all that can be seen are swirling shades of white in all directions, the winter wolves prowl for food, heedless of the ice matting their pelts or the cold winds sweeping across their lupine faces. When fierce winter storms send sheets of freezing hail and sleet screaming across the snow-swept plains, and even the heartiest arctic inhabitants nestle deep into hidden burrows for warmth and safety, packs of winter wolves range the white wastes, seeking their prey. Silently they stalk their unknowing quarry, slipping ghostlike through the snow-filled landscape, their tracks quickly erased by the howling arctic winds. Discovering a lone victim struggling through the bleak landscape, they add their own howls of triumph to the voice of the wind. Hearing this, the victim knows with dire certainty that all hope is gone, for none can evade these lords of the cold-lands for long. . .
Within these pages you will find detailed information on winter wolf physiology, habitat, and society, giving you a basic overview on how this race exists and interacts with the rest of the world. Players can learn winter wolf hunting tactics and Games Masters are given guidelines on how to introduce winter wolves into their existing campaigns. They will also benefit from material demonstrating how to portray winter wolves to the players, so that they stand out from the normal wolf. The section on foundlings may make for an interesting NPC (or even Player Character) background. Finally, a complete winter wolf lair is featured to be used as either an extended encounter or as an example of how such lairs are generally laid out.
Written by the author of so many ‘Ecology’ articles within Dragon magazine, The Slayer’s Guide to Winter Wolves is the ultimate resource for any player or Games Master daring to adventure within the cold lands of the north.
Inside You Will Find
- Winter Wolf Physiology: Growing to over eight feet long and breathing blasts of icy cold wind, they are no ordinary wolf and their raw strength enables them to overcome the greatest dangers of the arctic lands.
- Habitat: The majority of winter wolves are found in the cold regions of the arctic and subarctic climates. There they live as wild and free as their smaller brethren, those unhampered by the burdens of intellect and civilisation. Most winter wolf packs live a simple life, worried only about their next meal, next hunt, and next litter. They are the undisputed masters of their wintry realm, living off the land and looking only to their own abilities for survival.
- Winter Wolf Society: Learn about the dominant nature of winter wolf packs and how they steal young infants of other intelligent races in order to raise them as foundlings. Also discover the terrible fate of the runt of each litter.
- Methods of Warfare: Winter wolves prefer to attack en masse as a pack rather than fight individually, however, their enhanced intelligence allows them to fight more far effectively on the battlefield.
- Role-Playing with Winter Wolves: These highly intelligent and cunning creatures are no mere canine. Games Master can now learn how to portray winter wolves in a manner that befits their stature and make any such encounter memorable in the minds of his players.
- Scenario Hooks & Ideas: Several ideas to get winter wolves into your campaigns and thoroughly introduce them to players..
- Brute’s Lair: A complete winter wolf pack, plus a human foundling, ready to be dropped into any existing campaign world.
- The Winter Wolf Reference List: The essential guide to all winter wolves, from the lowest pup to the great alpha male who dominates all beneath him