Detailing the Shadowlands and providing options for Tainted characters within Legend of the Five Rings. Although titled with "The Way of..." not listed formally as part of the Way of the Clans series for L5R.
When the kami fell, the Dark Brother fell further than most. Fu Leng was changed by what he found in (sic) within the earth; his foul touch transformed the bright lands of southwest Rokugan into a foul wasteland. Only by uniting were the clans able to defeat him so long ago.
Though Fu Leng was defeated, his legacy lives on. The Shadowlands are the most painful reminder of Fu Leng's power, but the Dark Lord's terrible influence is hardly contained by the Kaiu Walls.
The Taint is everywhere. Everyone is vulnerable, even brave and noble samurai.
Time is on Jigoku's side, Rokugan begins to turn against itself and Fu Leng will not sleep forever.
- Way of the Shadowlands contains new Advantages, Disadvantages, and schools, including the Damned, the Nameless Ones, and the sinister Moto Black Guard.
- Information on the Tainted lands - not those under the watchful eye of the Carpenter Wall, but those that lie within Rokugan itself.
- Rules for the Taint, including expanded options for playing extremely Tainted characters, new Taint symptoms, and foul Shadowlands powers granted by Fu Leng to tempt the weak.
- The Oni Bound - what happens when you lose your name to an oni, and how to become free once more.
- The Rise of the Dark Oracles and the Elemental Terrors, terrible oni who wield the power of Earth, Fire, Water, Air and Void.
- New maho spells and maho kiho for Tainted monks.