A dual system sourcebook for Legend of the Five Rings and Oriental Adventures. It covers monks and martial arts in depth within Rokugan.
Martial arts are a way of life in Rokugan. Though the samurai and his art of the sword are the most obvious example of this, many other styles of combat co-exist, many relying on no weapon whatsoever. In countless dojos across the Empire, sensei instruct their students in ancient forms of martial arts. A true master can defeat any foe without use of a sword - but mastery is a long, difficult path.
Way of the Open Hand is the ultimate guide to unarmed combat for the Legend of the Five Rings role-playing game and Rokugan d20. The history of the Brotherhood of Shinsei and their unique master of the martial arts is explored in detail, as well as the secret martial styles of each of the Great Clans. Like much of Rokugan, what is presented here is rooted in real world tradition but given the distinctive, fantastic Rokugani flair.
- Introduces numerous unarmed fighting styles used by the Great Clans.
- Details the history and tradition of the Brotherhood of Shinsei.
- Rokugani fighting styles draw inspiration from real life history, Asian myth, and popular culture to create fresh, exciting, and playable martial arts experience.
- Though designed specifically for an L5R game, the styles and abilities presented in this book can be adapted to any d20 fantasy setting.
In hidden monasteries and secluded dojo across the Empire, enlightened mystics seek to understand the true mysteries of existence. Some do this simply out of a need to find their place in the world. Some seek a path to power. Others wish to unlock this mystery merely because it is there.
The answers await, if only you bring the proper questions.
Within you will find:
- History tradition and practices of Rokugan's premier order of monks- the Brotherhood of Shinsei.
- Secrets of enlightenment and the paths that one might take to reach it.
- New rules for campaigns seeking more dynamic martial arts flavor.
- Over twenty new martial arts styles, from the offensive and the defensive to the simply bizarre.
This book is a dual-system supplement for the Legend of the Five Rings Role-Playing Game, Second Edition, and Rokugan, the d20 Companion for Legend of the Five Rings. Players and DMs may also find it useful as a source of interesting new feats and abilities for any d20 System campaign.
Game Masters running the Second Edition L5R RPG will need a copy of the Legend of the Five Rings Game Master's Guide and the Player's Guide. Players need only the Player's Guide.
Dungeon Masters running d20 System games will need a copy of the Player's Handbook, the Dungeon Master's Guide, Oriental Adventures, and Rokugan. Players will need only a Player's Handbook.