Dual system sourcebook for Legend of the Five Rings and Oriental Adventures covering crime and the criminal underworld. Originally solicited as Way of the Yakuza.
There are those in Rokugan who do not care for politics, war, or honor. They care only for wealth and power, the kind that cannot be gained through honorable means. From the secret opium dens that lie hidden in the hearts of major cities to the bandit outposts that dot the countryside, explore the seedy underbelly of Rokugan that most samurai deny exists. Way of the Yakuza (sic) explores the heretofore hidden criminal societies that exist in Rokugan. It contains all the information needed to run a dishonorable campaign, or it can be used to provide truly developed and unique opponents for magistrates and honorable samurai.
- Extensive information on different criminal cartels throughout the Empire
- New feats, schools, and classes allowing development of unique criminal figures
- New character options for magistrates and Imperial investigators
Rokugan is a land of law and order, where samurai enforce the Emperor's will with strength of arms and by example. Paragons of bushido, samurai are expected to stand for all that is honorable and virtuous in the world. But not everyone can live up to this example, and not all who dwell within the Empire respect the Emperor's laws.
This book explores another side of Rokugan, the criminal underworld that lurks just beneath the surface of this civilized Empire. In the shadows, smugglers ply their trade, shadow conspiracies make plans, and criminal masterminds spin webs of power that ensnare mighty samurai. The tools needed to lure these criminal organizations to a campaign is (sic) presented here, all that a party needs to fight these shadow societies- or even join them.
Within the Way of the Thief you will find the following:
- New background information for the Kolat as well as other criminal organizations, including smuggling, bandit, and pirate groups found throughout the Empire.
- New setting information and NPCs for centers of criminal activity such as the City of Lies and the City of the Rich Frog.
- Helpful ideas for beginning a new campaign for both magistrates who fight the criminals described in this book and parties who wish to begin a career as criminal masterminds.
- New rules for Doji, Kitsuki, and Shinjo magistrate characters.
This book is a dual-system supplement for the Legend of the Five Rings Role-Playing Game, Second Edition, and Rokugan, the d20 Companion for Legend of the Five Rings. Players and DMs may also find it useful as a source of interesting new feats and abilities for any d20 System campaign.
Game Masters running the Second Edition L5R RPG will need a copy of the Legend of the Five Rings Game Master's Guide and the Player's Guide. Players need only the Player's Guide.
Dungeon Masters running d20 System games will need a copy of the Player's Handbook, the Dungeon Master's Guide, Oriental Adventures, and Rokugan. Players will need only a Player's Handbook.