From the back of the box:
Imagine a place of unspeakable evil. it was built upon hopelessness and filled with unending terror and pain. This loathsome place shattered the life of everyone who ventured near. But through tremendous sacrifice and heroism, over the course of many years, it was finally gutted and its foul creator destroyed.
Now imagine that horror is beginning all over again.
The sinister wizard Acererak took great pains to safeguard his tomb. It took many years, and many more lives, before his evil was finally laid to rest. But though the demilich is gone, he is not forgotten. Others who would become as he was have traveled to the site of Acererak's tomb seeking the secrets of mastery over death. Slowly these pilgrims gathered, eventually building in the shadow of the tomb itself a community dedicated to the dark arts: Skull City.
But even these twisted necromancers have no inkling of the true evil that swells and crackles beneath their feet.
This boxed adventure contains:
- A 160-page adventure book;
- A 32-page book of illustrations to be shown to players;
- Player handouts, including an adventurer's diary filled with clues;
- A 16-page book of maps and monsters;
- And a reprinted facsimile of the original S1: Tomb of Horrors adventure module as first published in 1978.
Return to the Tomb of Horrors is an epic adventure for characters of levels 13-16.