There are no humans in this game. There are five player races, all of which are unique to this setting:
- Glym: small, faerie-like;
- Gnorrel: vaguely badger-like, but with less animal nature and appearance;
- Hurron: large, forest-loving magicians, almost ogre-like in appearance, but more refined and intelligent;
- Orgu: almost ape-like in appearance, they are very learned and somewhat rare;
- Ratatikitanosk: vaguely squirrel-like, wiry and small and good climbers, boisterous and ale-loving.
There is a sixth non-player character race, the Drakhul, who are the most numerous and unfortunately inimical to the five player races. They serve the Stone of Souls - think of the movie The Dark Crystal. There are also stats for sample animals and monsters.
Player characters may spend points to choose among 18 Backgrounds, which give them certain game benefits, then spend 30 points among 20 possible skills, with at least 3 points required in a skill to get it to an "average" level (4), and 6 points to a "high" level (5). A large number of spells are available for those who choose Weaves of Magic as a background.
Basic action resolution is a simple rolling a d10 and trying to get lower than the appropriate skill level. There are sometimes modifiers, and opposed actions are a bit more detailed.