From the publisher blurb:
Brought to you by the designers of the award-winning Grim Tales, Trailblazer is designed to be fully customizable and compatible with your existing library of 3rd edition settings and supplements. Each section of the work addresses a specific complaint or problem with the ruleset, proposes a solution to the problem, and explains how to integrate each sub-system into your game. Copious designer notes help you fully understand the philosophy behind each change, and empowers you, the DM, to make your own tweaks and changes to get your game running at peak performance.
Trailblazer does not present “change for change’s sake.” Every change is a direct response to real problems raised by players in our own games and by the larger gaming community. Trailblazer tackles problems big and small:
- the power curve, the “accident of math,” and the “sweet spot”
- DM prep time
- CR/EL/XP and encounter design
- smoother, faster combat resolution
- class balance
- multiclass spellcasters
- overhauling the skill system
- annoyances like grappling, turn undead, 1-2-1 movement, and attacks of opportunity
- “The 15-Minute Adventuring Day”
The journey isn't over. . . It's just beginning.
Bad Axe Games peels back the outer layers of the 3.5 rules and reveals the inner workings for all to see. Within this book, you'll find the keys to decoding the d20 rules and gain new insight into the mechanics of your game. Copious design notes detail the thought process behind every design change.
- Detailed introductory analysis of the "The Spine" of the 3.5 system
- Fixes for the most common 3.5 complaints
- Rebalanced classes, races, skills, feats and multiclassed spellcasters
- Streamlined combat and movement rules, including Combat Reactions
- Quick and easy Encounter Budgeting
- Elite and Solo templates to create memorable monsters
- Intuitive, streamlined rules for iterative attacks, grappling, wild shape, polymorph, summoned creatures, turn undead, familiars, and more!
TRAILBLAZER is an indispensable resource for gamemasters looking to breathe new life into their 3rd edition game and restore a sense of excitement and wonder to their players.