From the publisher's website:
"Academy, fraternity, guild, order, school, society . . . fantasy has many names for wizardly cliques and factions. Sometimes, these are merely social constructs. Just as often, though, such groups represent philosophically distinct sects with unique magical methods, known as magical arts or styles."
"GURPS Thaumatology: Magical Styles aims to bring this richness to your fantasy worlds. For the GM, it offers tools for giving diverse magical arts distinctive thaumatological roles in the campaign. For players, it presents detailed advice and all-new abilities for creating memorable wizards with meaningful differences in training and philosophy. Contents include:
- Detailed instructions for grouping skills, spells, and other abilities into cohesive styles.
- A college-by-college look at the basics taught to beginning wizards, complete with handy spell lists.
- Practical tools for restructuring colleges and prerequisites.
- Magic Perks -- new perks for wizards only!
- Advice on extending all of these things to clerics and other non-wizardly spellcasters.
- A detailed, fully worked example: the secretive Onyx Path.
GURPS Thaumatology: Magical Styles is most useful if you have both GURPS Magic and GURPS Thaumatology, but it's a valuable aid even if you're using only the magic rules in the GURPS Basic Set. Those who would rather not use styles will still find both Magic Perks and the advice for magicians on choosing skills and spells valuable in any GURPS fantasy campaign."
expanded by GURPS Magical Styles: Dungeon Magic