In Harm's Way: Aces In Spades is a roleplaying game about being a fighter pilot during the Great War. Aces In Spades is designed to emulate the feel of the historical aviation adventures of the Blue Max, Flyboys, Dawn Patrol, Wings, Hells Angels, Winged Victory, and many others rather than the actual history. As such, it's heavy on the adventure and romance, and light on the details.
In Harm's Way uses the StarCluster 2.5 System, with some significant differences:
- Play British, American, German, or French characters.
- Play Army, Marine or Naval characters.
- Troupe Play: Players play three characters, a Pilot Officer, a staff Officer, and a Ground Crewman.
- Honor/Practicality Mechanic: Adds to your chance of success due to your reputation.
- Interest and Notice: You have to accumulate Notice - the approval of your superiors - and add your Interest - your family's political clout - to advance in rank. You are born with Interest, but in order to get Notice, you have to burn with zeal and throw yourself headlong in harm's way.
- Competitive Play: There can be only one Leader. One hero. Is it going to be you, or the guy sitting next to you?
- Voluntary Wounds: You can take wounds for your aircraft, letting yourself be shot rather than something more vital in your fragile little fabric-covered aeroplane.
- New Dogfighting system with 16 important aeroplanes of the Great War on individual Dogfighting Sheets.