In Harm's Way: Wild Blue is a roleplaying game about modern mercenaries, the world they live in, and the things they do.
In Harm's Way: Wild Blue uses the StarCluster 2.5 System, with some significant differences:
- Play Fighter, Strike, Slick, or Gunship pilots, or SpecOps, Infantry, Armored, or Brown Water Navy characters.
- Play characters with Army, Marine, Air Force, or Naval backgrounds from anywhere in the world.
- Troupe Play: Players play several characters, each type representing one aspect of the Mercenary Company, as well as Staff Characters to run your Company.
- Honor/Practicality Mechanic: Adds to your chance of success due to your reputation.
- Notice: You have to accumulate Notice - the approval of your superiors - to advance in rank. In order to get Notice, you have to burn with zeal and throw yourself headlong in harm's way.
- Competitive Play: There can be only one Leader. One hero. Is it going to be you, or the guy sitting next to you?
- Create your own Mercenary Company and shape it to do the things you want to do.
- Create Contracts for your Company, and negotiate for what you want and need.
- Dogfighting system adapted to modern jets from the IHW:Aces In Spades and IHW:Aces And Angels games.
- New Beyond Visual Range missile combat system.
- Surface combat system for Riverine/Littoral boats and ground vehicles adapted from the Dogfighting rules.
- Personality Traits give your character bonuses in various situations.
- Professional Edges give your character bonuses in other situations.
- Specialty Schools make your character ultra-skilled and competent at a young age.